Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

2007 HHR Detail

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2007 HHR Detail

My wife's car known as the Hungry, Hungry, Hippo car was in sore need for a complete outside detail. I still need to get a buffer but for the most part it looks really good for a by hand detail. The interior is decent, I need to buy All Purpouse Cleaner+ from Meg's and some Hyper Dressing. Also some engine detailing will be done tommorrow. Last shot looks ok on the Phone Camera, Lots of Flake for a one year offered color.

My Process:

Wash- Turtle Wax Ice (had some extra)
Clay Bar- Did not need much
Meguiar #7 Show Car Glaze
Meguar NXT 2.0 Tech Wax
Tires- Bleach White, Dressed with Meg's Hot Shine Spray
Keep Up- Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax

And yes I got the roof done too lol.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Internet Mechanic

I also got my hands on some Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax and went over the car this morning. She looks hard as glass and it was a quick 5 minutes to go over it. I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon to do some upkeep on my 2000 Buick Century and went over my Father-in-laws new truck which there will be a post on that.

I was just suprised as bad as the Buick looked with heavy pollen and bird droppings, since I spent the time doing the job right the first time, the wash, dry and spray wax made look like a newer car.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J/K

Came out pretty good man. Its hard to see detail in those pics.

I'm gonna be working on a 2006 silverado this weekend. We'll see what happens, It will need the whole shebang, starting with a mild compound....
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6

J/K

Came out pretty good man. Its hard to see detail in those pics.

I'm gonna be working on a 2006 silverado this weekend. We'll see what happens, It will need the whole shebang, starting with a mild compound....
That Pic is awesome, I'll forward it to my wife lol.

Yea. I was doing ok with the cellphone but I gotta dig up my digi camera and see if I can get a clearer shot. I just like it as I can immediately email my pics out to anyone.

I am DYING to get my own buffer and I think I have my heart set on the Makita 9772c 7" Buffer. Meguiar's has a good combo that has worked on TONS of cars and I think I will be using it as well.

Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut New Version Followed up by....

Meguiar's M205 Professional Ultra Finishing Polish

I have seen countless examples of this doing wonders for a finish and seems to not take too much away. I forget the pad combo but there is a link on Meg's website.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

where do you guys buy all of these obscure meguiars polishes and waxes? obviously not at autozone or the like
Old 05-18-2010, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Yup Megs 105/205 is a proven combo.
I'm really sold on the menzerna stuff, its expensive though at about $50 per 32oz bottle.

If you just want to clean the paint and leave a great pre cleaner finish try the menzerna p0106fa, its got a little less cut than the M205, but will do the job. The P0203 along with the above will do most cars to perfection.

MTB, you gotta buy the stuff online. I can't find anybody that sells it locally. Meg/menzerna, or otherwise.

I got 2 preferred places, one of which I get it delived like next day.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by MTBSully
where do you guys buy all of these obscure meguiars polishes and waxes? obviously not at autozone or the like
Do a google Search.

M105 Compound
M205 Polish

and you get hits.

Megs' sells it right on their website.

I need APC (All Purpous cleaner and APC+, as well as Hyper Dressing).

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/catego...fessional_care

You should find everything you need here, Amazon and places like AutoGeek also carry the Meguiar's line.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

105 is pretty aggressive. Start with the least aggressive and work your way up. Try the 205 1st and if you are not getting results then maybe step up to the 105. Or use the 205 w/ a more aggressive pad. Even the 205 should have another finishing pass before cleaning imo, 205 does cut paint.

If you'r are a rook, like me, I'd recomemend A DA with this stuff. A rotary in the wrong hands can wreak havok quick. And doing it by hand you will not be happy.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

so your saying you wouldnt get good results using 105/205 by hand? Any good DA recommendations? I'm somewhat of a buffing noob.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Here is a chart I posted before

And the Menzerna lineup attached:
Attached Thumbnails 2007 HHR Detail-menzerna-chart.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

so your saying you wouldnt get good results using 105/205 by hand? Any good DA recommendations? I'm somewhat of a buffing noob.
(Sorry BlackScreaminMachine , not trying to hijack your thread here....)

I really like the Porter Cable 7424XP for the average detailer. Its a great tool and you can find lots of combo "kits" online.

By hand it will take a long time and you are not gonna work it enough for the compound/polish to break down. Plus the pads used determin the application type needed.

Let me put it this way, I got about $400 invested in this stuff but after a couple cars it will make up for itself. You can get by spending a little less though depending how far you wanna go.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'll look into it. I just know that once you start using machines to buff, it can get ugly quick and i would hate to mess something up.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

i'll look into it. I just know that once you start using machines to buff, it can get ugly quick and i would hate to mess something up.
You'll be fine with a DA, you gotta be an idiot (in all seriosness) to screw it up. Its not like a rotary, which is what I think your implying. The Makita 9772c is something your need to know your ****. And even then you are still more prone to lets say an accident.

With a DA your not gonna burn anything.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

^ no worries on the Highjack. I like good conversations.

And I also agree with Danno here. a DA does do a lot but it requires time. I am too the point where I think I have gotten over my rotary "Fear". What I will be doing is finding some junkyard hoods that need correction. Here is a great post on what these guys did.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=42468

Please check it out and see the difference!! It also includes wet sanding differences.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Keep us up to speed on how you like the rotary option.

Here's a couple threads using a DA and menzerna
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=787836
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=783039

The internet has tons of info for beginners. So many products to use, It can be a lot to absorb.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to hijack, figured I would throw into the conversation since I have been trying to get into detailing for a while now. I had a lot of trouble with polishing at first, I always thought it was me, that I was doing something wrong turn out my paint just blows lol. I ended up getting a Makita because I thought I would need something more powerful, I was terrified to use it. Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is, am I pro? Hell no. Would I take it to a customers car just yet? No. However, they aren't as hard to use as people say. If you put it on your paint and turn it on you car isn't going to explode. Just gotta make sure you keep it moving.

I polished the trunk of my dads benz with it, came out great minus micro maring, so once I get that figured out it will be another tool in the arsenal. I know mistakes are bound to happen, but there is only one way to learn. I did have some help however, a guy on a detailing for, mystic04 (hes on autopia and svtperformance) offered to help me out. We worked with the pc and rotary. It was definitely beneficial, he knows his stuff. I have been using the M105/205 combo and that 105 is tricky stuff. I am going to do a full detail on an 1990 SL500 when the weather breaks, going to try the HD UNO stuff. Anyone here try that out yet?

BlackScreaminMachine, looks good, I just did a similar detail the other day.

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash
NXT Clay
Chemical Guys M Sealant
Trim/Tires a combo of Mothers Back to Black and Chemical Guys Fade to Black
Hit all the plastic chrome pieces with some polish and they shined up nice.

Few quic pics, didn't have time to snap many.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

since we are sharing here are a couple before and after shots using the PC and menzerna compound/polish. (My detailing buddy did these 2)

I'm sold on this procedure in general.

I'll try to take more before and after shots as I do more projects. Its the only way to even begin to appreciate what it does.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motoo - You just want to use a finer polish, I have always liked Klasse All-In-One. It removes hazing, small swirls and preps the surface so well it looks like you already have a protectant on the car. There are newer products, some may say better products but I always find a new for the Klasse AIO from paint, windows, rims and anything else. I will always have a bottle of it no matter what product line I use, get rid of or upgrade to. It goes on and comes off as easy as a wax, it is good as a good prep because it'll strip all fillers and oils. Awesome product.

I have a GALLON of 105, I would kill if someone would take 16 ounces off my hands for 16 ounces of 205. I cant find 205 anywhere.

Blackscreaming - Get the rotary ASAP, dont fear the power of it, take it slow and there is a really safe way to prime the pads so they dont burn as easy, skip or jump. Your too far away but I'd let you use my rotary any day of the week. You'll love the rotary and your only regret will be that you didnt buy it sooner. Get it now!!!! :-) :-)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Motoo - You just want to use a finer polish, I have always liked Klasse All-In-One. It removes hazing, small swirls and preps the surface so well it looks like you already have a protectant on the car. There are newer products, some may say better products but I always find a new for the Klasse AIO from paint, windows, rims and anything else. I will always have a bottle of it no matter what product line I use, get rid of or upgrade to. It goes on and comes off as easy as a wax, it is good as a good prep because it'll strip all fillers and oils. Awesome product.

I have a GALLON of 105, I would kill if someone would take 16 ounces off my hands for 16 ounces of 205. I cant find 205 anywhere.

Blackscreaming - Get the rotary ASAP, dont fear the power of it, take it slow and there is a really safe way to prime the pads so they dont burn as easy, skip or jump. Your too far away but I'd let you use my rotary any day of the week. You'll love the rotary and your only regret will be that you didnt buy it sooner. Get it now!!!! :-) :-)
Joe the place I have ordered a couple things from has M205 by the gal and 32oz. Plus you get it next day. If you need the link just let me know.

I'll have to check out that Klasse All-In-One. Although there is another polymer sealent that just came out I wanna try, but that Klasse looks easier to apply.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Joe the place I have ordered a couple things from has M205 by the gal and 32oz. Plus you get it next day. If you need the link just let me know.

I'll have to check out that Klasse All-In-One. Although there is another polymer sealent that just came out I wanna try, but that Klasse looks easier to apply.
I always like links for good supplies, let me know.