Default I need recommendations for Engine work on a L92

I have a zero mile 2007 L92 that needs to have the following done:

Katech A1 rod bolts
ARP Head Stud kit
ARP Main bolt kit
LPE 3 Bolt conversion kit
3 bolt Comp Cam
Powerbond underdrive pulley
Edelbrock 2 piece timing cover using a seal from a LS3 cover and sensor from the VVT cover

- hone, align or deck the block as needed.

Yella Terra 1.7 rockers on a set of TFS/TEA LS3 heads.
Install a smaller power steering pulley

I have all the parts, bolts,studs, gaskets. The L92 has original heads on it, no intake, no fluids, only VVT water pump. The L92 can be put on a pallet, currently sitting in the GTO.

Engine is located in Glen Cove, NY 11542

any shop recommendations and cost estimates?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of that is work any performance shop can do. Not really something for a machine shop. Also not sure why you would want to hone, align or deck the block since what you want done wouldn't be taking the engine down that far to justify doing it.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unless you plan on having the machine shop completely tear down the engine - You dont need a machine shop to hone, align and deck.

My guess is a machine shop told you it was needed - Yes - head and main studs will cause the block to distort differently when torqued, and Aftermarket Rod bolts will cause the big end to distort. But youre talking 0.000X".
Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
All of that is work any performance shop can do. Not really something for a machine shop. Also not sure why you would want to hone, align or deck the block since what you want done wouldn't be taking the engine down that far to justify doing it.
ok, good to know, any recommendations?

A friend recommended McBetts Racing Assocs. - Holbrook, NY any one ever used them?

I am sure I am using the wrong terms. I thought you had to make sure the block was square or in tolerance because the factory block could be off?

It is a factory block, don't you have to do some machine work when you replace the rod bolts or main bolts?

What about the heads don't you need to make sure the gasket will seal correctly?

thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are all things to check when building a fresh motor. But most people when just replacing bolts and things like that aren't going to check those things. Yes you will need new head gaskets when replacing the head bolts. As long as the deck is clean you shouldn't have sealing issues. I know the stock MLS gaskets are very forgiving unlike some aftermarket gaskets about how perfect the deck is
Old 08-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly for main studs and rod bolts i would want it remachined. Thats just how i always do it though. I personally think its half assed to not do it. I would also put a rob and piston in it though if i was pulling the entire thing apart.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine status

I found a vendor willing to do the work. Most would not touch the block due to various reasons. I should get it back in a week or two.