Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Degreased my Engine Bay: Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool Degreased my Engine Bay: Pics Inside

In my pursuit of trying my new chemicals I decided that it was time to clean up my 2000 Buick Century with just over 70,000 Miles. Elderly driven for most of it's life but never maintained under the hood.

Using some Meguiar's Super Degreaser Ratio 4:1 and the engine slightly warm, I sprayed it down, let sit for a minute and aggitated it a bit. Sprayed with cool water and most of the grime blasted off. I hit a couple spots again and got it 90% of the way there.

I also tried out some stuff from Meguiar's called Hyper Dressing. Works wonders on Tires and the mixture was ratioed at 1:1 for the highest shine. After using it, you notice a difference for sure. I think though for Black Plastic would use Tire Shine (Gel) but this stuff makes everything look good.

Some of the photos did not come out, and I was running out of daylight. Also next time I will blow it out with a air hose too.

Before

After

Hyper Dressing

Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great dude i gotta get some of that for my camaro haha, did you just put the water like on a mist? i didnt think it would be good to spray an engine bay.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by stumprrp
looks great dude i gotta get some of that for my camaro haha, did you just put the water like on a mist? i didnt think it would be good to spray an engine bay.
On anything with a Optispark I would Agree.

When I owned my 94 Z28 383 LT1 I would wash/clean anything in the engine bay with a rag and solvent.

I did my best to keep it away from most electrical things, plus I let the motor run for a few minutes to steam off the extra water and took a clean terry cloth to wipe up excess.

I forgot the air hose like a dummy which made it harder for the Hyper Dressing to bond with the surface.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i guess ill have to clean it the old fashon way lol
Old 08-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by stumprrp
yeah i guess ill have to clean it the old fashon way lol
You could use a MIST setting to get everthing wet. Just do not drown the Opti.

Also you could consider IF you were replacing it, to cover the open holes on the motor and then do a clean like I did with a hose or pressure washer. Dry it completely before reinstalling the new unit.

Beleive me, it was aggrivating when my LT was dirty
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

screw that dude, i just know how to wash, drive, and go fast in my car, im not a mechanic and i leave it to them to take my car apart haha. im lucky to have nice chrome SBC valve covers that look good with a quick rub down.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can cover stuff with aluminum foil also. Its not like things can not get wet, just not drowned in water.