Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MD inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MD inspection?

I am militayry and it has been a while since I went through MD inspection process. I claim a residence thats on the eastern shore so hopefully they will be lax, I know we still dont have emissions or even bi yearly or yearly inspections. My issue is I have a car that has full off road exhaust on it so it has no cats and the car is tuned so no CEL, but do you think they will fail it for lack of converters? The car is not very loud IMHO and the car just passed inspection in NC with this same exhaust set up and I have the inspection paper to show the inspectors in MD. Worst case I will have to get a catted y pipe to put on there for just the inspection but im trying to not go that route because QTP doesnt make catted y pipes anymore and im not sure what other companys y pipe will bolt up. What do you all think? Advice? etc
Old 09-04-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Maybe get REAL lucky and someone will take pity and let it slide ??? Beings you're in the armed forces may help.

As a regular inspection will not pass. Actually it's a fed offense to remove emissions equipment (if not replacing) or so I understand.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

What year is your car ?? As long as you don't throw any codes and the emission parameters are set to ready you'll pass that part. As far as the cats go it all depends on the inspector. If they look you'll fail...if they don't look you'll pass.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea id try to let them know your in the military. A lot of guys including myself have a ton of respect for military men and women. On the other hand the inspectors have a ton to lose by overlooking something. Good luck man I wish i could help you out more.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am going to take it by a small used car dealership next week. Crossing my fingers lol
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Just took my 90 Camry to emissions... There's no more rollers for older cars. For cars that don't have OBD they check for cats, the gas cap, and stick the sensor in the tailpipe.
You run the car at 2500rpm for 30 secs and then run it at idle for 30 secs.

For OBD he said they check for cats, check the gas cap, and plug into the OBD port. They look for codes and the readiness state of the ecm.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On the eastern shore side we dont have emissons test. I found a way around the inspection so I am going that route.