Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

This is a First For Me.. Duralast Rotor Fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default This is a First For Me.. Duralast Rotor Fail

Hey Nate if you see this, this is why my brakes felt like **** on my GFs 4runner. We couldent figure out why it just didnt have ay braking power, inconsistent pedal and a rattling noise at low speeds.

I thought the caliper had siezed and had now worn all the way through one set of pads and that was the grinding noise.

So I get the car in the air to make sure its the caliper before I buy a rebuilt one. I go at the lug nuts which starts turning the wheel, so I tell the GF to jump in there and get on the brakes so I can get the lugs off. Well she gets on the brakes and the wheel is still spinning. I'm like shiiittt this caliper is so frozen up its not even doing anything.. then I notice the wheel is spinning but the rotor is stationary.

No ****** way.. lol. I take the wheel off and this is what I find.

I couldent believe it. I've never seen a failure like this. These are the same type of duralast rotors I'm running in my daily driver, my race car, my dads suv, my moms sedan.

Obviously a casting issue, but you cant even find a rotor made in america anymore so they are all the same chineese stuff.

Lol we were just towing my Rx7 to and from the track 2 hours each way at 70 on a 16ft trailer and she stopped ok even only running on 3 brakes. Yikes

Last edited by sciff5; 10-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats terrible. Ive only seen that after smashing a rotor trying to get it off lol. Should be covered under warranty...
Old 10-12-2010, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt even waste the time to go get another duralast.

100+ views and no input. I guess this is pretty common. Sure surprised the **** out me
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen that happen before in an mid 90s K truck. and one other time on something else don't remember what. I can't say what brand rotors they were as they weren't my vehicles but one was my old works parts truck. and they took good care of it
Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't say that I have ever seen a rotor crack that way before.