Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Detail 2008 CRV

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Detail 2008 CRV

Yeah just a CRV, but it shows some heavy correction, enjoy....

2008 Honda CRV with 50,000 miles.

Interior wise the CRV was good, exterior wise it left a lot to desire. The exterior was heavily swirled with RIDS sporadically in the paint, very dull in appearance, water etching, and the plastic trim was dull and discolored.

Paint overall was medium hardness, not as hard as 'vette paint, but harder then Subaru. We did have trouble with the doors though. The doors were very sticky(like a subaru) and held on to the compound. No amount of technique changes or pad changes stopped it when using 203, with the 106FA it was fine. We did end up having to do an IPA wipe down to remove the compound between passes.

After almost 20 man hours it looks better then new inside and out. Quite a transformation and quite pleasing to look at now!

Oh and thanks for viewing!!!
Wash
CG Citrus Wash + Gloss
P21S TAW
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Swissvax Wheel Brush
MF Wash Towel.

Prep, Compounding, Finishing
Porter cable XP
Flex
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna 106FA
Prima Amigo
Menzerna PowerLock
Prima Banana Gloss
Prima Slick
Mother's Chrome Polish
ONR clay bar dilution
CG Extreme Shine
CG Bare Bones
Mother's Clay
Uber Green 5.5" pad
White lake country 6” pad
Orange Lake country 6” pad
Uber Black 5.5" pad
More MF towels
3m Painter's tape

Process
Wash, light clay, tape.
1-2 pass’s 203 w/ orange, 1 pass 106FA with white/green, 1 pass Amigo w/blue, Powerlock, Banana Gloss, Slick
Tip - Chrome polish
Wheels - Mequiers NXT 2.0, CG Extreme Shine
Under hood given a quick treatment and interior fully done + weather strip treatment.

Before

Under the shop lights

Interior work...

50/50

hazy tail lights

heavy scratch

almost all gone

shots during the process

I couldn]t do this again if I tried...

engine compartment all detailed

Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

Afters

Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man truly incredible work, I wish I had the time and skill to do that!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, I do need to try out that Sonax Wheel Cleaner, one of the next products I want to buy.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Looking good, I do need to try out that Sonax Wheel Cleaner, one of the next products I want to buy.
It's expensive but it works great.

Thanks jcollege.

I got yet another CRV to do this weekend, then hopefully we can mix it up again.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ yea, I have used Purple Power, Bleech White, Simple Green, Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, Meg's APC and APC+ and depending on the condition and rim, some clean better then others and some need a harsh dose of cleaner.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, I wish you were in Central PA. I'd drop both my cars off to get them done up.

I really need to take the time and learn how to do this.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really hope you get $400-$600 for a job like that.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I really hope you get $400-$600 for a job like that.
Yeah Professionals that do it for a living would. Still a hobby more or less, so numbers like that never come up, plus people driving CRV's are probably not gonna dish out $500 for a detail.

It is a lot of work though and I'm glad you amongst others can appreciate it. Just posting up work and having fun is part of it for us. We enjoy getting good results as much as the owners. Believe me if this was a primary means of income things would be different.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

you really should be getting 60 hr to do that type of work ....i know its a hobby but its also youre time. the guy that does my car gets 70 hr and does awesome work. or like dan said 600 - 800 is normal for paint correction ...just a detail would be 150 bucks any way very nice job you are talented with that porter cable and the halogens ...not alot of people know how to do that even full time detailers also you must have alot of patience to work almost 20 hrs on a cr-v hahaha
Old 05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

you ever do a black car that looks like it was washed with sandpaper? i would have you do mine but i would be worried if i had rear tires left after you were done with it lol
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02gangsta/ss
you really should be getting 60 hr to do that type of work ....i know its a hobby but its also youre time. the guy that does my car gets 70 hr and does awesome work. or like dan said 600 - 800 is normal for paint correction ...just a detail would be 150 bucks any way very nice job you are talented with that porter cable and the halogens ...not alot of people know how to do that even full time detailers also you must have alot of patience to work almost 20 hrs on a cr-v hahaha
Thanks.
I work with a buddy so the time is split equally. We did this car in a day.
We did the first pass with a FLEX DA it helps cut the time a lot vs going to a porter cable right away and I'm more comfortable with it than a rotary.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 05-03-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

you ever do a black car that looks like it was washed with sandpaper? i would have you do mine but i would be worried if i had rear tires left after you were done with it lol
Yup, sure have.
And we are doing another one this weekend coming up.

Both me and my buddy have been behind the wheel of some pretty powerfull cars (and wrenched on) over the years, ours and others. We have the highest respect for somebody elses pride and joy. Anybody on this forum that knows me can vouch for that. Plus both of us our in our 30's and have been in the car game for a little while now.

I might be jumping the gun but speaking of black powerful cars, We might have a black 911 carrera c4 soon enough to do.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Yup, sure have.
And we are doing another one this weekend coming up.

Both me and my buddy have been behind the wheel of some pretty powerfull cars (and wrenched on) over the years, ours and others. We have the highest respect for somebody elses pride and joy. Anybody on this forum that knows me can vouch for that. Plus both of us our in our 30's and have been in the car game for a little while now.

I might be jumping the gun but speaking of black powerful cars, We might have a black 911 carrera c4 soon enough to do.
yah i am the same way just breaking ***** haha that porsche would b an awesome car to detail let alone drive i have heard good things about the flex over the porter cable...is it noticibly more powerful ??
Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

killer job man!!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Looks great. Honda's, Acura's, and Subie's suck, soft sticky paint. Car came out great.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys!

Thanks Jokeman
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

excellent work!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 AM
11 Second Club

yah i am the same way just breaking ***** haha that porsche would b an awesome car to detail let alone drive i have heard good things about the flex over the porter cable...is it noticibly more powerful ??
I really like the Flex. It allows for a slightly bigger pad, but the big thing is forced rotation. No matter how hard you press down on the machine it does not slow down, Its got some *****. Similar to a rotary you gotta hang on to the thing. A porter cable will start to choke under harder pressures in comparison and you can just feel the cutting difference using the machine. You want to use the right compound and pad combination but you get a lot more work done with the flex. Thats why we almost always use it for a first pass on the inital correction stage. Then typically follow up with a PC and a micro polish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1uHJLNlQ

If you only had one tool the PC is more versatile though.

We can do most car correction in 2 passes, Tougher jobs in 3. You can even try to thow in a final pass with a nano level polish to try and jewel the paint after. But using the compounds we use I've had great results on the finished 2nd pass as you can see.

We might add a rotary to the arsenal at this rate, but the flex is a great in between. Our next investment is gonna be a paint guage.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Yeah Professionals that do it for a living would. Still a hobby more or less, so numbers like that never come up, plus people driving CRV's are probably not gonna dish out $500 for a detail.

It is a lot of work though and I'm glad you amongst others can appreciate it. Just posting up work and having fun is part of it for us. We enjoy getting good results as much as the owners. Believe me if this was a primary means of income things would be different.
It's nice that you like it but it's still your time you could be doing something else. Learn to not do it just for fun but to make some profit on. I'm sure you would like to make more money to put into your house or even put a new tranny in your car.