Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

What to look for on a Used LS1

Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to look for on a Used LS1

Hi All,

I know this has been asked before, but I am short on time and can't seem to find the info quickly when i search.

After selling my SS 4 years ago, I'm getting back in the game. I'm headed up to check out a 2000 WS6 tomorrow.

I know there is a couple RPO codes on the door that need to match, but my other question is where/how can i match the vin to the motor to make sure it is all original?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gen 3 and 4 engines do not have vin #s on them. They just have a casting #. I don't believe you can link the block to the car, just the year it was cast.

The RPO sticker is inside the driver's door; should have code WS6 on it obviously. G80 is a posi rear. Auto cars have 3.23s(GU5), 6 speeds have 3.42s(GU6).

Probably all obvious stuff since you had an SS, but here's my f-body list:
Check around the T-tops for rust and make sure the gaskets are good. Look all over the engine for oil leaks, even the simple leaks are b*tch to fix. Check all the fluids, including the diff oil in the rear.(These 10 bolts don't age as well as the rest of the car.) If it's an auto, check the transmission mount. It's a big chunk of rubber, but they break under abuse and cost $100.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to look for on a Used LS1