Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Cops and true duals dumped in Hampton va?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cops and true duals dumped in Hampton va?

I just got my eBay SS duals in the mail and In this great commonwealth state, any exhaust other than stock or similar to stock is illegal, so does anyone DD a loud exhaust in the Hampton roads area? I know it varies from cop to cop but anyone experience any backlash from a somewhat loud DD setup?I'm holding onto the stock setup incase I have to throw it back on..
Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got pulled over in northern VA... I had a 390, cam, ory, longtubes, and slp loudmouth 1. It was like 2 A.M. though and I was just cruising around haha. I got 3 tickets... if its "louder then factory standard" they can ticket you... thats exactly what my ticket said lol, well... one of them at least lol
Old 06-18-2013, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just drive normal most around here wont do anything but if your taking it to 6k rpms all the time then it will draw unwanted attention to you.Most problems come from the neighbors as you gun it past there houses.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks for the feedback. I didn't want to get shi* on after spending 800 on my exhaust.

703, what happened after the ticket? Just a fine or did they make you swap it out?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a fine, I paid all 3 off and continued to drive my car... I got pulled over again like a month later lol
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just so you realize, true duals are LOUD! I don't DD my car and I live in the sticks but there's no sneaking around in my Camaro. My neighbors say they can hear me miles away.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to to stationed in VA.
I HATE VA!!!!!!
If you are in too cars, you are so limited with what you can do. I'm so glad i left that place.
I remember once in VA Beach, i got pulled over because my "truck was to low"
So they busted out the tape measure and it was good ( it had a ground effects kit so it looked lower than it was) So then they tried to get me for tint, but that was good, then they ticketed me for loud exhaust even though when i passed the cop i had my clutch in and it made no noise, He looked under the car and saw the muffler wasn't stock, so that was what he wrote the ticket for. So i went had an exhaust shop throw a flowmaster on it, then went to court with the receipt and the judge dismissed it.
I absolutely hate that state.
I think California is probably one of the few other worst places to live. That is if you have any hobbies that dont involve hugging trees.
In Florida now and i LOVE IT!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

I DD with true duals. It's not loud unless you in the upper rev range. On the highway it's not bad what-so-ever. I live in MD so I can't help you on the cop situation in VA but just keep it quiet when there's a cop around. I've never have any problems with them here or in VA. ****. Just a few weeks ago one gave me the thumbs up and took a picture of my car haha.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my true dual are loud above 2000rpms. Don't have cats though. Stock ls1
Old 06-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I'm in Richmond and haven't had one single problem with the police. But I know the cops SEEM to be a little more dick-ish the closer you get to the beach. Probably because they have to deal with drunken idiots majority of the time but still they do pick with people over stupid stuff. I think as long as youre not driving like a moron or shiftin at 4000+ you'll more than likely be fine.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Teching In

It's all about how you drive, but just be aware of your surroundings and I'm sure you won't have any issues. Don't be afraid to upshift and go into "stealth" mode

Although, during stop-n-go traffic or frequent stops it can be hard to mask.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run TDs with dumps...it's loud. Yes it can be heard prob miles away and no hiding it. Knock on wood haven't been pulled for it in this **** state yet. Actually already sick of them because it's impossible to have fun without drawing massive amounts of attention to you.

There is really no stealth mode with the resonating and cam lope.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Launching!

I've never had a problem in Newport News with my 3 inch headers back exhaust. It's pretty loud to the point you can hear when I enter the neighborhood, but I've never been pulled over in it.

I've been pulled multiple times in my Chevelle, but not much they can do since it has no emissions standards.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by VAformula
I've never had a problem in Newport News with my 3 inch headers back exhaust. It's pretty loud to the point you can hear when I enter the neighborhood, but I've never been pulled over in it.

I've been pulled multiple times in my Chevelle, but not much they can do since it has no emissions standards.
How are you guys passing inspection with true duals. I had one place tell me my stock ss hood was illegal. And every place gives me a hard time about my long tube headers aftermarket catted y pipe with the stockcat back.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Checkmate
How are you guys passing inspection with true duals. I had one place tell me my stock ss hood was illegal. And every place gives me a hard time about my long tube headers aftermarket catted y pipe with the stockcat back.
Well....

Down in southern VA we aren't test for emissions which helps a lot, it all just really depends on where you go and who you know. I work at a dealership so it helps to know the guys inspecting your car so that you can talk over the problems about it and fix them....
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Checkmate;17632990]] I had one place tell me my stock ss hood was illegal. [QUOTE]

Also, you can pull the books on them for this one, the stock hood is allowed, any aftermarket hood over 1 1/8 inch at the windshield is illegal. (I can send you the link if you want, PM me about it.)

Basically anything stock on the car is legal, and any exhaust the same size as stock is legal.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

I was stationed out in VA for over 4 years and god damn do i hate that place. when i had my cobalt SS turbo they tried to give me a ticket for aftermarket exhaust... it was bone stock (i was driving completely normal too) but since he found out it was stock he gave me tinted tail lights ticket and later on i got it for tint (legal in the state the car is registered in) but i tried to fight it but as i quote the judge "If you were on a road that happened to curve in VA for a split second and the VA police pulled you over for something that the state you were from was legal but not here you can get ticketed"

so BEWARE and PREPARE for tickets.

Quick Reply: Cops and true duals dumped in Hampton va?