Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Off Topic: Carmax experience?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Off Topic: Carmax experience?

I'm curious if any of you all have experience with Carmax? Wifey is looking for a new ride, and is set on a brand new SUV. But, she's not the best driver out there (so the change from Accord to Midsize SUV should prove to be scary).

I know Carmax used cars already demand a premium, but seeing that Doug Demouro series about his experience makes me wonder if the peace of mind is worth it? It seems great, but the amount he pushes it makes me wonder if he's a true fanatic or being paid by Carmax.

So, I'm wondering if any of you had experience with Carmax, and how it went? And, moreover, I'm curious if any of you all have used the Carmax warranty?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I do not personally have buying experience with CarMax but I have been doing some car shopping recently for myself as well as my sister. We have found their prices to be high as you mentioned. For the particular vehicles we were looking at, I was finding comparable CPO vehicles at other local dealerships with asking prices a couple thousand dollars less in some cases so for us there was no point buying from that outfit.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Their prices are high and trade in value is low.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my G8 GT from them years ago and it was right in line price wise with others in the area and i was able to get the color i wanted had to have it shipped to the dealer. a no nonsense deal.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prices are at a premium for the "experience"(no haggle). Quality of the car can be hit or miss, even with the inspection process it's still a used car; so use your common sense. The warranty is an upside, better to deal with then some of the other aftermarket warranties. Still full of fine print of course, but Carmax generally has a "make the customer happy" approach to customer service, which is good for the consumer.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

trade in value offer was actually on the high side for me. i dont think doug is paid by them because he was writing about them before he had a huge following.

this is what ive noticed from carmax. their cars are generally priced 10 to 20% higher than the competition. then if you spend money on their bumper to bumper warranty, you figure 3 to 4k for that.

so a normal 30k suv is now 33 to 36k their. now, you can buy that great warranty for 3 to 4k so you dont have to worry about paying for any repairs. so your 30k suv now costs 36 to 40k. so your essentially paying 6 to 10k premium for the warranty.

now, cherry on the top, if dealers are offering a car for 30k, you should be able to negotiate 10% off, maybe slightly more. so that suv would cost you 27k. so that carmax car actually costs 9 to 12k more since they dont negotiate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off Topic: Carmax experience?