Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Home A/C trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Home A/C trouble...

I have the regular A/C that is built into the wall (the same kind you see hanging out of windows). I turned it on a couple of days ago but it blows cool/warm air just like my car before it was recharged. I'm guessing all the A/C in my condo needs is a recharge right? Is it something I can do? Do I use the same can of stuff that was used on the car?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clean the filter
Old 06-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Humanitarian

I checked that and there isnt even a trace of dust. It's new or was washed before I moved in.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

probably needs a recharge...not sure how ot do it nor if you can just use the same stuff as in cars...there are places/people that do it on the cheap though...i remember my mom having it done years ago when i lived with her.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sounds like its empty i think you have to bring it somewhere to get filled though not like the cars unfortunetly . no idea what they get for it though

Last edited by badpewter-z; 06-10-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

man, joe it sucks that your a/c doesnt work. i got the central air kickin in the house right now. its a brisk 60 degrees in here now. i feel bad for anyone who doesnt have a/c in their house or cars.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Humanitarian

Talked to my boss, he said Sears or someone has to come out and take care of the A/C because they need to cut something inside to suck the free-on and crap out then they re-fill the free-on and grease something...whatever. He's saying "screw it, not worth it, it'll be like 100.00" and I'm like cool; lemme go shopping on Sears.com for an A/C that's good for 1,000 sq ft. Friggin 500.00 - 600.00.

I really want a new one that will shut off when it gets to a certian tempature, the unit I have not doesnt...I don't think. I think it just turns from A/C to fan right?

What to do what to do.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

spend a few hundred on one if it will still fit in the spot . i have a 25000btu at home and does a great job keeps it just about 70 had it for a few years now got it used from one of the guys in the shop though
Old 06-10-2005, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
I have the regular A/C that is built into the wall (the same kind you see hanging out of windows). I turned it on a couple of days ago but it blows cool/warm air just like my car before it was recharged. I'm guessing all the A/C in my condo needs is a recharge right? Is it something I can do? Do I use the same can of stuff that was used on the car?
It is a different type of freon then automotive. I had to re-fill my central AC unit once. Your unit probably has a leak in it. Normally they don't need to be re-filled. In my case, the previous owner never filled it properly when the system was installed. It is hard to buy the freon, must places ask for a license. I think the freon is R31 for homes, R11 or R12 was the older style car freon that is no longer made, and R134 is what they use nowadays in cars.

If you have a amp meter, you can measure the current of the power line inside the unit. There should be a piece of paper glued inside the unit that states the current draw when the freon is full. Refilling require connecting the tank upto the fitting and opening the tank valve. It will suck the freon out of the tank.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine works great
Old 06-10-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by griffz28350
man, joe it sucks that your a/c doesnt work. i got the central air kickin in the house right now. its a brisk 60 degrees in here now. i feel bad for anyone who doesnt have a/c in their house or cars.
hahah i drive the saturn chris with no AC for work. It's fun. I'd fix it but **** i'm having too much luck with the dam car I don't wanna change anything. 206k miles and going strong.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

It probably needs a charge. The unit most likely has R-22 in it as a refrigerant. You will need to have a licensed refrigeration tech. do the recharge for you. He will have to capture any of the old refrigerant. R-22 is being phased out and will no longer be available after the year 2010. Alot of people will have to replace their systems or use a different refrigerant. The problem is that other types of refrigerants like R-134a if added to a R-22 unit will cause a loss in cooling output capacity. I would call a local heating and air conditioning service contractor. If anyone has any residential, commercial heating/air conditioning problems, or is building a brand new facility and needs drawings for permit for one trade, or all trades Hvac, Plumbing, Electrical or Fire Protection PM me. This includes paint spray booths, industrial exhaust systems for automotive and public transportation maintenence facilities. We are professionally registered in every state on the east coast.

Last edited by zo6vetteman2003; 06-11-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Ask mr. HVAC himself....noyzee. He'll hook it up.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

true that,noyzee is what u need
Old 06-13-2005, 06:54 AM
8 second mod

sounds low, but like z06vett said, it has to be reclamed and then recharged. window units are like a refrigerator. seal units and unless its leaking, they never need to be charged.
best thing to do would be take it out and either get a new one because your going to pay $100 an hour to fix it and if it is old, it will break again. get a new one.
what size is it? 26x18 or so?? i can get you a price on one if you want. i can have it shipped to your door also. let me know.
or if you pull it out, i can try to leak test it and fix the leak, then cut in a new shrader valve so it can be recharged in the future.
let me know if i can help.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Humanitarian

Keith and I ended up going to about 5 stores to find one yesterday.

We ended up getting a 110 volt 13,800 BTU unit because of the size then we tear out the old A/C to find a 220 outlet right next to the old A/C and the frame could of fit an 18,000 BTU. Oh well, the A/C has the place at 72 and it shuts on and off, exactly what I wanted. No more watching TV in my drawers with a fan a foot from men still sweating.

Good thing I had Keith, I was so unmotivated with a completely sweat soaked shirt. Keith pretty much installed the entire thing. Keith saw my walk in closet too, I gave him a choice of any dead hooker as payment for the install, blond, brunette, bald or headless…he tried to move in on the red head but I told him he was stepping on toes with that request, she was reserved for later activities when Keith left.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:17 AM
8 second mod

I was doing some install work friday. it was in an attic, it was over 130*. that was not fun.
i also put my old ladied window unit in her appartment yesterday, it was sooo hot.
but i guess better then ice cold!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Keith and I ended up going to about 5 stores to find one yesterday.

We ended up getting a 110 volt 13,800 BTU unit because of the size then we tear out the old A/C to find a 220 outlet right next to the old A/C and the frame could of fit an 18,000 BTU. Oh well, the A/C has the place at 72 and it shuts on and off, exactly what I wanted. No more watching TV in my drawers with a fan a foot from men still sweating.

Good thing I had Keith, I was so unmotivated with a completely sweat soaked shirt. Keith pretty much installed the entire thing. Keith saw my walk in closet too, I gave him a choice of any dead hooker as payment for the install, blond, brunette, bald or headless…he tried to move in on the red head but I told him he was stepping on toes with that request, she was reserved for later activities when Keith left.
went in pretty easy just wish we knew it was 220 first oh well drove around for a while trying to find one that WASNT sold out hardest part was getting the old one out they put in with about 20 gallons of rtv sealent or something now it cools nicely though . sweet place joe and the brunette was looking better than the blonde on the left. i wont say what you were hiding in the tires though

Last edited by badpewter-z; 06-13-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
i wont say what you were hding in the tires though
Notice how I wouldnt let you look in them?
Old 06-13-2005, 08:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

so thats where she was