Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Trans Problem! Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Problem! Need Help

What does it sound like? What are some noticble sounds, feelings, or smells?

What does a blown/shatered clutch sound like while in motion?

I was driving home from TTP today, I rode 1st gear out alittle bit down a block going under 2k rpms. Car drove fine felt really good, then I accelerated up a few times to 3rd gear and let off, and coasted ALOT.

Got on the highway and was messing around in the gears, untill I got a few blocks from my house I heard a loud pop and gringing noise, and it violently kicked the shifter out of 3rd gear. I went to put it back into gear thinking I poped the clutch by some random mistake, and it made a horrible grining/dragging sound. It continued for a few seconds untill I could find a safe spot to pull over. I emedietly turned off the car and looked at the drive-shaft, because maybe I had broken that, due to the grining noise thinking it was draging. Checked under neath, no smoke, no dripping oil it was totally clean! I poped the hood no smoke no odd smells nothing out of the ordinary!

I turned the car back on, with the clutch in, not in gear. As I slowly let out the clutch (shifter in Neutral) it made a grinding noise. I did it a few times to make sure it was my car. I put the clutch in, and put the shifter through 1st 2nd & 3rd and it was fine, I put it in reverse let the clutch out and it did fine no strange noises, but I put it into 1st and it started to make a grinding noise, car started to roll but was making a grinding noise like you took a garbage can out to the street!

Went to put it into 2nd, and it wouldnt let me, so I put the clutch in and raised the RPM's and it slid into 2nd.

Drove a whole nother block just with this horrible gear grinding sound! I have no clue what it is.

BTW, 95 Z28 Camaro, 6-speed. Original clutch with 103,000 when the fluid was flushed the fluid was very very dark!

Only trans work I had was new fluid in the rear end and transmission with a poly bushing.