Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Clutch advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 06:30 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch advice...

Took the wiper cowl apart at work last night, drove it home and cleaned it up.

Went to pick it up at lunch break and didn't make it out of the driveway. In reverse all of a sudden the bastard locked up.

Threw it in neutral and there's some grinding that comes and goes. Put it in first and sometimes it will make it to the end of the driveway fine, other times it makes some massive noise/binds up.

I'm hoping it's not the tranny. If I push the clutch in with the car in neutral it moves forward slightly.

Sooo I need a clutch. I was going to put the F14 cam, etc. in this weekend, but obviously that would have led to bad things.

So should I go for a Spec 3 or what?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SPEC 3F Iron disc, with their bilet steel flywheel. No problems so far. The clutch feels like stock as far as petal pressure., but grabs harder. You can tell it's not stock by the way it grabs, but you can slip it.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Hmm... I was just going to stick with the factory flywheel.

I guess I'll go with the Spec 3. But I'm building a new motor/turbo setup with a new tranny this winter anyways.

Either the pressure plate has fallen apart, or the clutch is not disengaging.

I honestly can't figure out which. Anybody ever had any hydraulic problems with the 01/02 updated system?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a problem with my clutch blowing up on me.. does it make grinding noises?? does the car feel like it is vibrating more violently?? or will it let you put it in gear at all w/o the clutch in.. these are just some problems i experienced when my clutch blew up.. literally into 2 pieces! btw, i agree w/the spec!
Old 07-21-2006, 04:55 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are gonna put a new tranny in over teh winter.. I'd just go get a cheap sotck replacment, no need to spend all kinds of $ on one now if you're gonna yank the whole thing apart and replace it again soon. Just have the stock flywheel resurfaced and get a 01+ clutch, you should be fine for the time being with that, probably about the cheapest route to take for a short term fix
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Yeah, I'd just like to play it safe. I plan on going with a G-force T56/Mcleod Twin Disc. I've got a few toys that I'd like to pay off before I go all out on the car though.

I'm going to try and give Don a call and see if he has one in stock.