Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

piston slap helpp

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default piston slap helpp

hey i have an 01' trans am with 35,000 miles. it makes a knocking sound which has to be piston slap. i was thinken it was a spun bearing but ive been driving the car with this knock for a while and the oil pressure is perfect, the performance is perfect and theres no metal shavings in the oil or on the bottom of oil nut. i have an extended warrenty and need to get this fixed its been driving me crazy. i really dont trust the dealership and want to bring it somewhere that is formilliar or specific to the ls1 engine. im in staten island ny but willing to take it out of the area. any ideas? thanks alot i really appreciate it
Old 10-04-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live with it... lol. You should hear mine
Dealerships will put a new piston in it but it won't solve the problem. My buddy brought his back 3 times (lemon law) for slap and melting down cats... it still hasn't gone away. If the dealership is real bad, they'll just nurl the sides of the piston and slap it back in.

I got about 10K medium to hard miles on mine without issue. Every great once in a while it will spit the dipstick out (blowby) but the motor is coming out in a few weeks. When I assembled it I knew it would be a problem (.007" p/w clearance in #7)