Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Heading to NYC

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heading to NYC

So... Im heading up to NYC this week and need some advise.

Basically Im going up for some dance thing my sister is performing in, but Im also bringing my friend up for her 21st bday.

I want to show her a wild time for her 21st in the big apple. Any advise for a starving college student to have a fun time and not break the bank? Im not sure where we are staying, but its somewhere on the outskirts of Manhattan.

Im from Austin, TX and we have 6th street which is about 40-50 bars on one street that college students party at. Is there a college scene in NYC?

Oh yea, do they do free birthday shots in New York?

Thanks,
Stu
Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by disco192

Basically Im going up for some dance thing my sister is performing in, but Im also bringing my friend up for her 21st bday.

I want to show her a wild time for her 21st in the big apple. Any advise for a starving college student to have a fun time and not break the bank? Im not sure where we are staying, but its somewhere on the outskirts of Manhattan.

Im from Austin, TX and we have 6th street which is about 40-50 bars on one street that college students party at. Is there a college scene in NYC?

Thanks,
Stu
Manhattan is not cheap at all. You'll be shocked compared to Texas prices. NYU area has some college hangouts. Expect to pay alot for everything and if you want to go to any of the "hot" night clubs expect long lines and big bucks.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

12 dollar shot of grey goose in some places, 6 bucks a corona are some of the prices I returned with at a bar in NYC, can't remember which one though. I though the prices were't that off from Philly. Couple bucks more but not horrific. I don't know what prices are like down there in Texas.

Just think about it. It's a city that is rich as anything. Everything is more expensive in NYC. Cost of living, food, gas, basically everything. Drinks, and parties are going to be more expensive. If your looking for a club or something or maybe a bar or two there are a bunch on the Jersey side, that may be a bit cheaper but that's not quite New York City. Your looking to show her the NYC life so stick with the city. It seems like your in a hot location there. Try maybe a club if she's into that, there are a bunch of comedy clubs if she's into that. Trust me, you can find something. But the location your in seems like a good one. I'll ask my cousin who is 25 and is a hardcore party girl getting carted around to different bars on Friday and Saturday night in limousines
Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Get a party bus so you can get driven around...if you divide the cost between everyone and drink on the bus while bar hopping it won't be too bad on the wallet.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by disco192

Thanks,
Stu
Save your money cause its not cheap to go out in NY. There are soooo many places to go. Try the village, there are some decent places that arent too outrageous. Im not into clubs, but I hear the meat market area is a hot spot right now.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

A "NICE" hotel on fri or sat night is $600. $20 to $30 to get into the "good" clubs after an hour wait in line. Real drinks are 10 to 15 bucks a piece! Bring a gun and stay away from the hookers!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01LS6SS
A "NICE" hotel on fri or sat night is $600. $20 to $30 to get into the "good" clubs after an hour wait in line. Real drinks are 10 to 15 bucks a piece! Bring a gun and stay away from the hookers!!!!!!
Have you ever been to the city?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Be very aware of your surroundings. Keep your wallet in your front pocket and try to look like your belong there. Then enjoy your stay.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by aliwantsnss
Have you ever been to the city?
LOL, yeah...I used to go all the time....I stayed in time sqare one Fri night it was $599. Another time I stayed at some 3 star hotel that was $300 on a Sat night...It was a total dump!

I still love the city though.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01LS6SS
LOL, yeah...I used to go all the time....I stayed in time sqare one Fri night it was $599. Another time I stayed at some 3 star hotel that was $300 on a Sat night...It was a total dump!

I still love the city though.
There are deals to be found all through out the city on hotels as long as you avoid the tourist areas like Times Square. Do a little research and it will payoff.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

disco192,

all i can say is the nine others above dont have a friggin clue as to where and what is happening. j/k

First off use common sense. It is your friend.

Second, you are coming to the center of it all. You will be amazed at what you can find on a budget, Use mass transit to get around and people watch. Its the most entertaining and free since there are so many diverse groups bunched together. Bring comfortable walking shoes and hit the pavement. As long as its nice out..if the weather is warm be prepared to find plenty.. repeat plenty of eye candy the babes come out in droves.

The upper east side and west side have lots of local neighborhood bars that compete for your buck expect to pay general bar prices, naturally if you go into clubs and other posh spots expect to pay more.

See if you can pick up a magazine titled TIME OUT NY. It will have an up to the week list of events and hot spots by category.

Personally I lived in the outer borough of Queens, (Yes the bar Coopers Ale House from the "King of Queens" did exist and it was great hang out). I worked in Manhattan for many years, The city is a fun place to be.

Keep in mind to do the tourist stuff early and pay the extra price to get in the express line if your headed up the empire state building. It could take a few hours just to ride in an elevator.

I have been all over this country and there is no city like NYC... Lets go Mets!
it aint Austin for sure... its a lot better..have fun

Last edited by sebss; 03-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

NYC is awsome... You can go there to the same places everytime and it will be something new.. I am going there this weekend to meet a bunch of girls we met at the Bahamas so cant wait to see what the night brings...
Make sure you have alot of cash, and move on the streets fast, but dont look like an *** doing it.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wanna get drunk and you don't have deep pockets go to Houston Street on the lower east side there are plenty bars there.If your a collage boy there a ton of yuppie bars in mid town & the village.Also there's cheap hotels on 28 street and park ave south around 110 dollars a night.Times square is really more family oriented.I work in Manhattan don't listen to the paranoid it's very safe.They flood nyc with cops.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

my friends and I usually go to SNAFU(major dive bar) ,hang out with Lou Diamond Phillips, drink 15+ jagerbombs each, meet hookers, hang out at the radisson room 2324, wander aimlessly through the subway and end up in brooklyn and or chinatown,eat dirty water doggies,take drunken carriage rides.....just remember dont go anywhere with someone that says they have asian,russian,spanish, and white girls that want to meet you
Old 03-09-2007, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Well, Im in the City. We are staying in the Sheraton Manhattan which is on ~51st and ~7th Ave. Im thinking we are gonna go party it up in the Village.

Thanks for the advise guys. I will definately get a copy of that magazine you told me about.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you dont make the same mistake I did...check prices first! I went into some small bar that looked kinda like a dive bar but real clean and pretty nice and my sister and I sat down and started drinking...we were drinking the 24 oz coronas and we each had 3 a piece...cost us almost 80 bucks and that wasnt with the tip!