Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Loud/altered Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fibbado
Also the complaint about harleys being too loud, Loud pipes SAVE lives when your on a harley so I don't think anyone should ever complain about harleys being loud. Anyway, this is why we invented cutouts
well if they can save lives on a bike they can save lives with a car. I agree that it is not fair that bikes can run open pipes and cars cannot but that is how life is UNFAIR.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
well if they can save lives on a bike they can save lives with a car. I agree that it is not fair that bikes can run open pipes and cars cannot but that is how life is UNFAIR.
have you ever riden a bike on the street? alot of peopel dont see/look for bikes thats why they can get away with loud *** pipes
i can understand completly why bikes have no sound level restrictions.
cars are a little easier to spot than a bike
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

to reiterate:

there is no sound level threshhold, it is either too loud, kind of loud, fine, in between, etc. and that rests entirely on the opinion of the cop.

bikes are allowed to have loud exhausts because that is how they are made at the factory. all 50 states have legislation that is written similar to something like this: "no person shall alter their exhaust unless it is to replace damaged or defective parts with parts of similar construction and configuration, no person shall alter their exhaust to emit more or unusual noise."

not very hard to understand. you might have trouble agreeing with it but there is no reason not to understand exactly what the law means and what you have to do (or not do) to comply.