Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Friendly Inspection in NYS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Friendly Inspection in NYS

Does anybody know of someone who will do this? This will be very helpful!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ttt...
Old 11-16-2007, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a guy who's been photoshopping his inspection for the past 13 years, but they're giving out new stickers similar to the Jersey ones so you can't do that anymore. If you have a mechanic friend, try asking him.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mermel
I know a guy who's been photoshopping his inspection for the past 13 years, but they're giving out new stickers similar to the Jersey ones so you can't do that anymore. If you have a mechanic friend, try asking him.
Well I was sniffing around some info from DMV a few wk ago and came across this...... If you are getting your sticker by other means. Better watch out come registration time. So to sum it up, If you dont get an offical inspection and a current one to boot, you cant re-reg the car.

On September 4, 2007, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles expanded Registration-based Enforcement (RBE) of the annual vehicle inspection program to the Upstate region of NYS. The RBE program will help ensure compliance with the inspection requirements and is required by the federal Clean Air Act and regulations of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Beginning September 4, 2007, motorists in the Upstate region of NYS, in addition to those in the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA), will only be able to renew their vehicle registrations if the vehicle has had the required emissions inspection in the last 12 months. The emissions inspection is required and completed at the time of the annual vehicle safety inspection.

Under NYS law and DMV regulations, all motor vehicles more than two model years old, but less than 25 years old, are required to have emissions inspections each year. The emissions inspections are required at the time of the annual safety inspection. The safety and emissions inspections are also required whenever the ownership of the vehicle changes.

Frequently Asked Questions About the Registration Based Enforcement (RBE) program

What is Registration Based Enforcement (RBE)?

RBE is a program that uses the vehicle registration renewal process to ensure that motorists comply with the requirements of the NYS emissions inspection program. A registrant cannot renew a vehicle registration unless the DMV has a computer record that the vehicle passed the required emissions inspection or the registrant can provide proof of the inspection. There is no new inspection requirement under the RBE program. Since December 2004, emissions inspections have been required in the Upstate region that includes the 53 counties north of the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA).

An RBE program has been in effect since November 2001 in the New York City Metropolitan Area (NYCMA) that includes the five boroughs of New York City, and the counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester.

What is the purpose of RBE?

The federal Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 required New York to create the Enhanced Vehicle Inspection/Maintenance Program. The program requires a vehicle to have an emissions inspection test at the time of the annual safety inspection. An emissions inspection is also required when the ownership of the vehicle changes.

Federal law also requires NYS to enforce the emissions inspection requirement through the vehicle registration process. The DMV is required under the law to comply with the EPA requirement to extend the RBE program to the Upstate region.

Who is affected by this enforcement effort?

More than 90 percent of NYS motorists get the required emissions inspections and comply with the emissions inspection requirements. RBE will have no impact on the motorists who comply. RBE will only affect the small percentage of motorists who fail to have their vehicles inspected.

Must I pay a fine or penalty before I can renew my registration?

No. There are no penalties that are a part of the RBE program. The program can provide a reminder of an expired emissions inspection. The reminder can help a motorist avoid the penalties from a traffic ticket issued for failure to have a valid inspection sticker.

I tried to renew my vehicle registration on-line or by mail, and the renewal application was rejected for no inspection. Can I renew my registration at a local DMV office?

You can renew the registration only if your vehicle has had an emissions inspection within the last 12 months. If there is not an inspection report on file, you cannot renew your registration on-line, by telephone, by mail or at any NYS or county motor vehicle office. You can renew your registration after your vehicle has passed the required emissions inspection.

I had my car inspected, but my registration renewal notice indicates that I have not had the inspection. What can I do?

If the report of your inspection is not on the DMV computer records, write the inspection sticker number on your registration renewal form. Enclose with your renewal form a copy of one of the following documents. These documents are available from the station that completed the inspection:

The Vehicle Inspection Receipt, or
The Inspection Facility Daily Report that lists your vehicle, or
The Inspection Detail Report that lists your vehicle.
What has the DMV done to notify motorists of the RBE program?

Motorists who do not have an emissions inspection on file are notified in their registration renewal notices. The notices are normally mailed several weeks before the current registration expires. DMV has also issued a press release on the RBE program.

Last edited by Ojustracing; 11-17-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Friendly Inspection in NYS