Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Just ordered the Textralia!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008 | 07:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

city driving? that right there sounds like alot of heat and slipping?? thatll killa race style clutch in no time specs dont like the heat. be interesting to see if the tex can take it a little better or not.
Old 03-06-2008 | 08:10 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

JOe, when the clutch goes again in less then 10K, will you then listen? Put an auto in that car with a manual valve body, and a big converter, and go 3/4 a second faster with no loss of fun whatsoever.
Old 03-06-2008 | 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
city driving? that right there sounds like alot of heat and slipping?? thatll killa race style clutch in no time specs dont like the heat. be interesting to see if the tex can take it a little better or not.
had my first Text for over 25k of city/track/street racing miles and it never skipped a beat. it was one of the first batch of Text to be introduced. if it werent for the motor letting go it would still be going strong. bought another one for my new set up....hopefully it does as well as the 1st one.

+1 on the Spec not liking heat.....welded it to the fly wheel doin a burnout.....couldnt get it released for the life of me and had to drive it an hour home like that...still dont know how i made it....
Old 03-06-2008 | 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Not actual city driving, like 0-10-0mph every 5 seconds, but "city-type" driving, which is exactly what they state in their directions, meaning not highway driving. They're just saying they obviously don't want you "breaking in" a clutch by driving it five or six hundred miles on the highway in sixth gear for 95% of the miles. They want you want to be shifting it fairly often to get it set in a groove, and side road or "stoplight" type driving in a suburb, for example, is more of what they're looking for.

But yes, actual city driving on a Stage 3 Spec would be murder. You are correct about that.
Old 03-06-2008 | 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
JOe, when the clutch goes again in less then 10K, will you then listen? Put an auto in that car with a manual valve body, and a big converter, and go 3/4 a second faster with no loss of fun whatsoever.
Haha, if the Tex fixes my problem but then goes in 10K, I'm gonna be PISSED, but I'll probably just buy a new one since it actually WORKS.

But no, I just enjoy using a clutch and shifter. To me, the whole fun of drag racing is going to the track and knowing that 50% of what shows up on my timeslip has to do with how well I'm launching the car and shifting, and the other 50% coming from the proper setup, track conditions, etc. I like knowing that if I don't drive well, I won't see good times, and I need to practice to improve. With an automatic, even with a manual valve body, two or three visits to the track and some tweaks and that's about all you're going to get out of it without changing something else on the car. And I don't have the kind of money to be constantly upgrading parts on the car to go faster.
Old 03-06-2008 | 08:53 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Naah, that's when you get to really, REALLY get the car figured out. Ya get the time to figure out exactly what one click on the shocks will get you, exactly what 1/2 a lb of air will get you, and that's when you get every last bit out of the car. Look at what I did last year, went from running 10.9 to 10.5 without really buying anything else for the car, just figuring out exactly what the car liked and what it didn't like. I even figured out exaclty where it likes to be shifted.

It would take you a whole season of going to get the car figured out, and with the situation you're in now, you can go 5 times all season only to find another problem every time ya go.... I'd rather be trying suspension settings and testing different shift points, etc.etc. then goign home knowing I have to fix something.

Besides, that first time you put the foot to the floor and let go of a transbrake, you'll be all about running that car, and with the consistancey you'd have, you could actually work on reaction times, and go bracket race the car as well, not just test and tune it and hope for a PB. You could actually compete with it, much bigger thrill doing that, because with bracket racing, once you have your car figured out 110%, now it's ALL up to you on the tree, something that ya haven't even tried to work on yet I'm guessing.
Old 03-06-2008 | 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Naah, that's when you get to really, REALLY get the car figured out. Ya get the time to figure out exactly what one click on the shocks will get you, exactly what 1/2 a lb of air will get you, and that's when you get every last bit out of the car. Look at what I did last year, went from running 10.9 to 10.5 without really buying anything else for the car, just figuring out exactly what the car liked and what it didn't like. I even figured out exaclty where it likes to be shifted.

It would take you a whole season of going to get the car figured out, and with the situation you're in now, you can go 5 times all season only to find another problem every time ya go.... I'd rather be trying suspension settings and testing different shift points, etc.etc. then goign home knowing I have to fix something.

Besides, that first time you put the foot to the floor and let go of a transbrake, you'll be all about running that car, and with the consistancey you'd have, you could actually work on reaction times, and go bracket race the car as well, not just test and tune it and hope for a PB. You could actually compete with it, much bigger thrill doing that, because with bracket racing, once you have your car figured out 110%, now it's ALL up to you on the tree, something that ya haven't even tried to work on yet I'm guessing.
Yeah, I worked on reaction times back when I was running my badass 305 TBI Formula. That car was ridiculously consistent and I was ridiculously consistent with my reaction times, but obviously it's a whole different ballgame than a car like yours or even my Camaro if it was auto. I completely understand what you're saying, I just love driving a six-speed, especially because I drive it quite a bit on the street and THAT'S where the auto gets boring. I have no doubts that I'd enjoy it at the track and get into all the stuff you mention, but in reality, a car like mine gets driven maybe 5-10% at the track and the other 90-95% on the street.

That said, I plan on going to the track a LOT this year if this new clutch works out. I'm talking trips to Lebanon and New Jersey at least every 2-3 weeks. I have no big plans for the car besides the Mickey Thompsons. It's taken me a year and a half to get everything running right and beefed up so that I can race how I want to; now it's time to enjoy it.
Old 03-06-2008 | 10:27 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

With track trips that often, you'll want that auto.

And driving a manual valve body auto on the street, is a blast. PUlling a gear and being able to just blow the tires off at will, is awesome. Scares lots of women and children, very easily. They give you a look, you gas it up and pull a gear and lay 200 feet of rubber, the look they give you is classic. Seamlessly done too, because there's no rev before the burnout or anything, so it's alot more of a shock.

Chirping the tires at every shift, also fun as you pass other cars, because they don't expect it one bit.
Old 03-06-2008 | 11:56 AM

i understand both points here and i a m sticking with my m6 it keeps me from crossing over the line, and making my car exactly what i dont want, cus it might not be as fast as it could be with a auto but it can drive anywhere and race any type of racing with a simple wheel/tire change
Old 03-06-2008 | 12:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

auto great for track purpose . the stall is fun for 5 mins.
i love my stick, thats why i bought it coulda got an auto but not what i wanted. stick on the street is alot nicer and the 2 OD's let you go anywhere and still get good milage

autos just get boring on road trips from what ive experienced. ived owned both performance wise too so not just backing what have.
Old 03-06-2008 | 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thechef
i understand both points here and i a m sticking with my m6 it keeps me from crossing over the line, and making my car exactly what i dont want, cus it might not be as fast as it could be with a auto but it can drive anywhere and race any type of racing with a simple wheel/tire change

auto great for track purpose . the stall is fun for 5 mins.
i love my stick, thats why i bought it coulda got an auto but not what i wanted. stick on the street is alot nicer and the 2 OD's let you go anywhere and still get good milage

autos just get boring on road trips from what ive experienced. ived owned both performance wise too so not just backing what have.
x2

I've got absolutely nothing against autos. If my car was strictly a track car like Jay's and my main concern was getting the best possible ET and consistency, I would absolutely have one. I know my car will never ET what it would if it was auto, but I just love driving manual cars. I'll sacrifice the time slip for the thrill I get from a six speed.
Old 03-07-2008 | 01:26 AM
On The Tree

i like chef understand both of you . ive been on both sides of this argument. jl is right about launching off the t/b there is no feeling like it, and joe is right about running the car with the stick knowing its only gonna go as fast as you can drive and not
as fast as the car can go. after being able to say been there done that i would stick with the 6 spd joe and replace the clutch 30 times before putting an auto in it. i just know its not what you would want in a car. and jl you gotta admit there is nothing like powershifting gears goin down the road. regaurdless of how much faster a car is with an auto
Old 03-07-2008 | 04:15 AM
9 Second Club

Hope the tex clutch works out for you,I have had quite a bit of bad luck with my 6-spd but I love banging those gears.I agree with JL too auto owns stick at track but Im want to see nwhat best time I can get out of the car in a stick.Those highway rolls have been very good to me
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camaro1053
i like chef understand both of you . ive been on both sides of this argument. jl is right about launching off the t/b there is no feeling like it, and joe is right about running the car with the stick knowing its only gonna go as fast as you can drive and not
as fast as the car can go. after being able to say been there done that i would stick with the 6 spd joe and replace the clutch 30 times before putting an auto in it. i just know its not what you would want in a car. and jl you gotta admit there is nothing like powershifting gears goin down the road. regaurdless of how much faster a car is with an auto
Exactly.

Originally Posted by INTENESS
Hope the tex clutch works out for you,I have had quite a bit of bad luck with my 6-spd but I love banging those gears.I agree with JL too auto owns stick at track but Im want to see nwhat best time I can get out of the car in a stick.Those highway rolls have been very good to me
Thanks! I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:41 AM
Teching In

Talking u WANT THE BEST..

Originally Posted by TNTramair
had my first Text for over 25k of city/track/street racing miles and it never skipped a beat. it was one of the first batch of Text to be introduced. if it werent for the motor letting go it would still be going strong. bought another one for my new set up....hopefully it does as well as the 1st one.

+1 on the Spec not liking heat.....welded it to the fly wheel doin a burnout.....couldnt get it released for the life of me and had to drive it an hour home like that...still dont know how i made it....
alsome SET UP' DUDE.. I HAVE THE "FULL" SET UP IN MY RIDE...
WITH THE FLY WHEEL... LOVE IT.. BIN IN THER FOR 2 YEARS...
DRIVE IT ON THE STREET.. "NEVER A MISS"..
Old 03-07-2008 | 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
my thoughts exactly!!
Old 03-07-2008 | 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

nothing beats a 6speed for the street, mines my DD/Fun car. my Track car is a auto, but ill tell ya my TA would get the doors blown off by my nova BUT even running 13s was more fun with the stick something about it was just bad ***. then seein the faces on people watching u wipe off your track numbers and cruise out from the track on your way home is just priceless =D
Old 03-07-2008 | 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
nothing beats a 6speed for the street, mines my DD/Fun car. my Track car is a auto, but ill tell ya my TA would get the doors blown off by my nova BUT even running 13s was more fun with the stick something about it was just bad ***. then seein the faces on people watching u wipe off your track numbers and cruise out from the track on your way home is just priceless =D
The second I realize I'm at the point where I have to trailer the car to and from the track on a regular basis, I'm selling it and buying a new bone stock car. Of ALL my rules, stipulations, goals, etc, etc, being able to drive it to and from the track (2-3 hours) is the number one priority (maybe only matched by being able to cruise the pike on the weekends ).
Old 03-07-2008 | 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hear ya on that hehe, i got a trailer queen and my DD
Old 03-07-2008 | 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

i just ordered myself a Tex oz700 to day, the last one from the ws6 store. i hope it is as good as i read and have heard. pewterscreamingmachine good luck with the new clutch.