Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

any one caught with nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been pulled over, bottle in PLAIN SIGHT behind my rear seat, at least 10 times. every time the cop says something about it and i say i only use it at the track. (knock on wood) i havn't received a fine for it yet, but that's not to say that a cop couldn't write some bullshit up.\

i wouldn't worry about it. you ask "caught with nitrous?" like it's an illegal drug or something.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got pulled over with my buddy in his car going very fast had the nitrous bottle in plain sight and hooked up got some **** from the cop and he wanted us to unhock it but we had nothing to disconnect it and only got a warning. And that is here in York
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

GMHT did a big article on this stuff a few months back ... each state was different

alot of the ones I remember reading didnt even say much about Nitrous used as power adder
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

I got pulled over in my V6 and the cop saw the Nitrous line in the back seat. Thats were I had my bottles mounted.. He wrote me a ticket for operating a car with Nitrous. It didnt hold up in court because the bottles were not hooked up. The law in VA is that it is okay to have if it is not hooked up or easily accessable..
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle

i wouldn't worry about it. you ask "caught with nitrous?" like it's an illegal drug or something.
Most of the laws on the books regarding nitrous are holdovers from the 70s, when it was easily obtained and often used to get high. Doesn't seem to be as popular anymore. So there are cases where the letter of the law is you can't transport it in a passanger compartment, within reach of the driver, etc. NJ requires a permit from the state department of health I believe, but its not much of a hassle to obtain.

Its only been in the past few years that laws have been written in some areas specificly dealing with the use of nitrous as a performance adder in vehicles - in many cases as a piggyback to absurd "street racing" laws.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mount the bottle where your spare tire and jack goes...theyll never find it there!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

my old third gen ALWAYS had a bottle in plain view in the back window. it was no issue in WV or KY then, but ohio always gave me a hard time, i just left the line unhooked if i wasnt using it and they couldnt do **** if it wasnt hooked up. they were always shining the light and saying "oh what do we have here".... then i would grab the line and flop it and say, nitrous.... thats not hooked up. haha

Quick Reply: any one caught with nitrous