Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Engine shop in E. PA

Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shop in E. PA

I have been looking for a shop with experience with SBC's to build my '87 Firebird Formula (basic sbc block) for some real power. Nothing too big, mind you, just some heads/cam work, maybe a quick polish, or at least remove all that engine gunk, and while the motor's out, replace a few gaskets here and there, enough to get this car to run the times it should be, with some properly matched parts. Supposedly, the engine was rebuilt recently, but it was done my a shade-tree mechanic in a trailer park - need I say more?

Okay, here's the deal. I found myself a shop - Penndel Performance and Machining in Penndel, PA, a bit of a drive, but imo it's worth it to drive an extra 20 miles to get quality work - they seem to be a really good, professional shop, and while the shop isn't exactly clean, it is a machine shop, and from what I saw, they seem to have good knowledge of what they're doing and do a good job.

Just that, well, I am talking about trusting my baby (the formula) to them, so I'd like to hear some customer reviews of their work - this is the kind of work that if a lower-grade mech. (i.e. myself...) were to do, it could easily cost more fixing the damage than doing it right the first time. The price seemed almost too good to be true - $2250 for some head work (aluminum racing heads for 6500rpm's, pull the motor, new gaskets, and all the other misc. stuff), $400 for basic trans stuff (replace some seals and adjust the shift points), and then it'll need a quick tune, which'll bring the grand total up to somewhere around $3k.

This won't be happening for a few months (3k is a really nice price, but still, I need to save up a little, plus I have some work of my own to do on the car first) but yeah, I'd like to hear from someone else who's had their car in the shop.

CLIFF NOTES: Looking for a customer review from Penndel Performance and Machining in Penndel, PA.

Thanks!

- JR aka "Mulletbird" driver
Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

*bump*

Anyone? How about another local shop?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Martyn Motors in Morrisville is only about 5 mins from Penndel adn they do great machine work. Are you looking for a whole build or just a short block? Where in Jersey are you from?

I live in Trenton and there are a bunch of shops around here that can get it done, do quality work, and have fair prices.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Lorenzo's Fast Flow Cylinder Head

Try calling Lorenzo! He's a really nice guy and does great work. He is really in Hulmeville, Pa (right next to Langhorne).

He did my L92 heads and has a complete maching shop of the premises.

Lorenzo's Fast Flow Cylinder Head

112 Reetz Avenue
Langhorne, PA 19047
(215) 750-8324

RGKSR (Bob K)
Old 09-26-2008, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys!

I'm in Hopewell Twp (just north of you - between I-95 and the circle) and just did a quick search for "engine shop near trenton, nj" and found that place. As I said above, I feel it's worth it to drive the extra distance to get quality work for this.

It's heads/cam (something built solid - gonna push the car to 6500 shifts), nothing like a new motor. The engine was bored and stroked prior, so there's no point in doing much more, however the heads and cam are prettymuch stock. That and it's starting to act like a blown headgasket (more and more white smoke coming out the tailpipe). And with me about to push the shifts up to 6500, I'd like to know the heads can keep up and that the car'll make power up there.

Also, I've tried finding pre-built heads for a pontiac online, but can't find any. Anyone know what heads go with the factory 350 block - is it just a regular SBC head?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it is an SBC it has to have SBC heads unless you have something radical, like Little Chief heads or something. Look up JSPerformance in Hulmeville, PA. He is only about 15ish minutes away and he really knows his stuff.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All good shops mentioned. I've used Martyn Motors for about 20 yrs. You can also add Jerry from Medford Speed. He's approx. 5 min. from the Red Lion Circle.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys...

Just got back from the swap meet at E-town... got myself a 750cfm edelbrock w/ edelbrock TorkerII intake, and a few random things.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not real local for you, but I can tell you this is the guy that knows how to build a small block Chevy. He builds drag motors and his brother builds dirt track motors. His name is Andy Jensen. He had a vette that ran low 6's @ 220 on a 427 sbc with a 106 mm turbo. Now, he's got a 1st gen Camaro with a similar setup. Anyway, he's built a few motors for guys in our club and he is great at what he does and his prices are very reasonable. Here's his website:

http://www.jensensenginetech.com/
Old 09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
If it is an SBC it has to have SBC heads unless you have something radical, like Little Chief heads or something. Look up JSPerformance in Hulmeville, PA. He is only about 15ish minutes away and he really knows his stuff.
The man speaks the truth. Good shop.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Not real local for you, but I can tell you this is the guy that knows how to build a small block Chevy. He builds drag motors and his brother builds dirt track motors. His name is Andy Jensen. He had a vette that ran low 6's @ 220 on a 427 sbc with a 106 mm turbo. Now, he's got a 1st gen Camaro with a similar setup. Anyway, he's built a few motors for guys in our club and he is great at what he does and his prices are very reasonable. Here's his website:

http://www.jensensenginetech.com/
Jensen is the man. He's located in Nescopeck. Off I80 about 20 minutes. Great guy.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Well, the thing is, if I were looking for that much engine, I'd just get in touch with Bob Ingles. Pro Stock engine builder.

But, the fact of the matter is, I'm not. I'm just looking for something that'll give a few imports on the team (big turbo rsx's, built civics, sti/evo's, etc. running 12's/11's) a good solid run for their money. After all, it's kinda sadening watching a Small Block V8 that came on a trailer get walked by a driven in off the street import. Even if they do have over $40,000 invested in their vehicles to my current investment of $1k. If I run a mid-12 and have no major issues, I'd be quite happy with it.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kenSS
Jensen is the man. He's located in Nescopeck. Off I80 about 20 minutes. Great guy.
Agreed!!! He built my 406sb in my 69 Prostreet Camaro great work.. Very clean shop!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhra_crazy
Agreed!!! He built my 406sb in my 69 Prostreet Camaro great work.. Very clean shop!
I see your not to far from me. I'd like to see your rides someday.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Anytime man... Any members are always welcome at my toybox..lol
Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhra_crazy
Anytime man... Any members are always welcome at my toybox..lol
Damn! that's a nice toolbox. I would like to see those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine shop in E. PA