Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

St/ Louis or JAX ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default St/ Louis or JAX ?

Well,

The place where I work in Kansas City is closing this year.

I have opportunities to relocate to the above locations. My pay and bennies would remain the same. + all my vacation I still have to take, Yeah!

The site in St. Louie would prolly be less stressful but the Climate there in Jax is calling me as NO WINTER. However, on the flip side I see that it's currently been 90 + last few days? Gotta make sure the A/C works !

The site in Jax is at Prichard and I 295 n I'm thinkin of trying to find a pad there in Marietta or Whitehouse for a short commute to work. Prolly rent first then buy.

Anyone know anything about that area and decent rent prices ?

I've seen a couple a nice listings there in the area, a 3 bdr, 1 bath on 1.5 acres and another 3 bdr 2 bath on 1.4 acres. I want something like this so I can have a garage in the back for my hobbies.

Very difficult to think about a relo, but it's either a relo or become unemployed. And for the salary I'm making, I ain't gonna find it anywhere

Thx for any info..
Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget no state income tax down in Florida. Having grown up in the midwest with all the weather extremes and crazy income taxes, I'll put up with the blast furnance of June, July and August-that's what airconditioning is for. No snow, more enjoyment of sports type cars year round down here. I'd put my vote in for the First Coast of Florida if I were you- oh yeah, I did back in 96 and haven't looked back.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidws6
Well,

The place where I work in Kansas City is closing this year.

I have opportunities to relocate to the above locations. My pay and bennies would remain the same. + all my vacation I still have to take, Yeah!

The site in St. Louie would prolly be less stressful but the Climate there in Jax is calling me as NO WINTER. However, on the flip side I see that it's currently been 90 + last few days? Gotta make sure the A/C works !

The site in Jax is at Prichard and I 295 n I'm thinkin of trying to find a pad there in Marietta or Whitehouse for a short commute to work. Prolly rent first then buy.

Anyone know anything about that area and decent rent prices ?

I've seen a couple a nice listings there in the area, a 3 bdr, 1 bath on 1.5 acres and another 3 bdr 2 bath on 1.4 acres. I want something like this so I can have a garage in the back for my hobbies.

Very difficult to think about a relo, but it's either a relo or become unemployed. And for the salary I'm making, I ain't gonna find it anywhere

Thx for any info..
I don't live there, but I know a lot of people that live/lived in the Marietta/Whitehouse area. If having a spot out back for your hobbies is important, then yes, thats a good place to move. They are builidng all kinds of new stuff in the area as well, so its not as "backwoods" as it used to be when I was growing up, so you still get the space you want w/o being far away from stuff. Plus you're right at I-10, I-95, I-295, so getting anywhere is a snap & downtown is not even 10mins away. Just my $.02
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default St. Louie or Jax,, Or Des Moines ?

To top it off, this morning I received an offer from Des Moines Iowa.. As if I did not have enough to think about!

Don't think so as Winter there is worse then KC !

I'm leaning towards JAX (2maro is the deadline) n go from there.

Thx for the input !
Old 06-12-2009, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

No emissions in FL! Case closed...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are great cities. If I were to move from where I am at now it would be one of those two. But there are a few things that make Jax better and they have already been covered.

1. No state income tax (get to keep more of that salary)
2. No winters!! You can drive nice cars all year long
3. No emissions and registration IS NOT based on the value of your car.
4. I also understand there is a tax each year or two based on the value of boats/automobileds you own in Missouri.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Vehicle Tax

Yeah, it's the same here in Kansas. Tax every year on everything if it has a prop or wheels, they tax us on all.

As for bringing in a car from KS. to FL. is that $400 flat fee still in force?
Old 06-13-2009, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Come on over to Florida!!! Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default New Wheels Tax

Found out the Registration info on the web..

Classification Weight Annual Tax
and
Other Fees Biennial Tax
and
Other Fees
Automobiles, private use thru 2499 pounds $27.60 $55.20
Automobiles, private use 2500-3499 35.60 71.20
Automobiles, private use 3500 45.60 91.20
Trucks, private and commercial thru 1999 pounds 27.60 55.20
Trucks, private and commercial 2000-3000 35.60 71.20
Trucks, private and commercial 3001-5000 45.60 91.20
Additional Fees
Transferring a license plate from another vehicle $4.00
When a new metal license plate is issued 12.00
Initial Registration fee
This is charged when applicant does not have a Florida registration to transfer. 100.00

Not too bad. When I registered the TA's here this March, they were $ 100 + each...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Jacksonville is one of a kind. Only major city that went Red in 2008. Should tell you something. Unlike the Atlantas, Detroits, etc. of the world the city elects competent business minded people to mayor/city council/etc. instead of rabble rousing "community organizers."

Roads are being built BEFORE needed, there is no state income tax in Florida and also no city income tax in Jax like some big cities have. Amazingly the roads are paved, trash collected, etc. Who knew you could afford these things without bending your citizens over the barrel?

Good weather, good traffic (one of the best cities in the country actually by that measure), low cost of living, individual rights protected unlike places like Chicago, D.C., etc.

Small town feel to a big city. Wasn't born there but now consider it "home" and can't wait to move back one day.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by will82
Jacksonville is one of a kind. Wasn't born there but now consider it "home" and can't wait to move back one day.
Well said Will. We can't wait for you to come back.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by Doc
Well said Will. We can't wait for you to come back.
Yeah, I had to travel all over the place to have work done, then you guys open up shop and I have to split.

Looks like Summer 2012.

Moving back to the U.S. and to Lexington, VA next month. I'll never step foot on foreign soil again.

Once I'm done and back in Jax I can help you guys with any unfortunate traffic tickets while I'm not busy chasing ambulances and asking old people if they've been exposed to asbestos.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by will82
Yeah, I had to travel all over the place to have work done, then you guys open up shop and I have to split.

Looks like Summer 2012.

Moving back to the U.S. and to Lexington, VA next month. I'll never step foot on foreign soil again.

Once I'm done and back in Jax I can help you guys with any unfortunate traffic tickets while I'm not busy chasing ambulances and asking old people if they've been exposed to asbestos.
you wont be too far away from me, i live in roanoke now... vadriven is an easy way to find car enthusiasts and info in VA if you get bored, and you will, b/c that part of VA is def boring..

Quick Reply: St/ Louis or JAX ?