Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Weird Voltage Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Voltage Problem

Whats up guys, Ive got a problem and dont have a clue what the problem is. I was on the highway cruising at around 70 and felt the motor lose a slight amount of power for only a fraction of a second. I wasnt sure what it was then it happenned again and noticed the voltage spiked down from around 13-14 to about 9-10. It happenned several times and each time it happenned there was a voltage drop, and each time it was less than a second.

Another thing happenning, only a few times since this started, is that the motor will start up fine, but it wont hold idle, it just wants to die. I can give it gas to keep it alive, but will die whenever i let off. The next start is completely normal though.

I replaced the alternator not too long ago, but still not ruling that out. My other guesses are the battery, voltage regulator, or maybe even one of the relays, but like i said, dont really have a clue as to what the problem is so any help would be greatly appreciated.

one more thing, i just reached 100k miles, not sure if anything needs to be replaced around that time
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default volt problem

I would start by having your Alternator checked. However sometimes even the units they check alt's with are not 100% accurate. I had 1 tested and they said it was good. Stuffed it back on the car, Had good voltage for bout 5 sec.'s then nodda. Changed out with a used one I had and problem solved.

If it persists after you have the alt checked, you might try disconnecting fuses that power different acc. to see if you can isolate it.

If your voltage is dropping like that, it has to be a big drain and should pop a fuse !

BTW, I don't think it's the batt. Usually they do not act intermittent like you problem.

Last edited by davidws6; 09-14-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: .
Old 09-14-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I agree. Would start pullign fuses to isolate the concern. You may also have dirty grounds, or high resistance the big three wires.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Alright, getting the alternator checked tomorrow or Sat. Had another weird problem, I was leaving work, and there was absolutely no power to anything, no lights, no power to any of the gages, nothing. The battery wasnt dead, there was just no power to anything at all. I popped the hood and took a look, didnt see anything, but there was still no power to anything. For some reason though, i decided to put it in nuetral and the power decided to show up and i was able to start it again. Im a deer in headlights right now, I bought a new alternator just in case it is it, I wont install it until im absolutely positive, but again, I have no idea.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Launching!

im going through the same thing right now. i have had my car apart for about 3 months and i finally got it all back together and went to start it up. It started just fine but i knew something was amiss rather quickly. On jackstands my speedo was going up and down and i had about 5 warning lights. I turned the car off and then the entire electrical system went dead.

I volt metered at the battery and only had 2 volts. Battery charger didnt help so i disconnected to terminal leads and the batt then had 11 volts. I knew there were only 3 locations hooked to the battery so i unhooked the starter lead first, no change with the voltage. Then unhooked from the remote relay panel, no change in voltage. Unhooked wire to alternator....."Well theres your problem". Voltage was then 10 volts at the battery with everything hooked up other than the alternator. I am pulling the alternator as i type and going to go get it tested. I am betting that the built in voltage regulator has a direct short and that is what was killing my electrical system.

Hope that helps
Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Im glad that was your only problem cuz those are the same symptoms im experiencing. Going to get it tested tonight, well see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Well i went ahead and ordered a new High Output Alternator. Cant wait for it to come in. It is a real sweet unit. I have used this company in the past with another vehicle and had great success and none of the crappy HO Alternator break downs that several companies have.

Quick Reply: Weird Voltage Problem