Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

car carrier advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car carrier advice needed

Ok, long story short, im borrowing a yukon or f150 from the in laws to drive from sebring to Odessa(near tarpon springs) to pick up a 91 trans am GTA. Finally getting back to my roots and having a toy period. Its complete and has extra parts. Downside, FUEL PUMP DIED! I can get a uhaul and set a reservation to pick up near the location of the car for about 50 bucks. At most i know there will be 3 ppl total to help move it.
What will be the easist way to get it all the way on to the uhaul or does someone near highlands county want to lend a hand/trailer/winch something to get this done? Looking to pick it up mon/tues and bugdet is a big concern... I cant wait to get this thing, but i dont need anyone to get hurt or destroy the car in the process. ground effects and nose are almost impossible to find and are expensive...
Any thoughts or info will be HUGELY appreciated... sorry its not going to be an LS car either. not gonna hack up a numbers matching 91 GTA TPI 350 with the WS6 pkg!! ill find another car for that..SORRY FOR LONG POST!

Last edited by DYING BREED; 12-14-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: edit topic
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

I've loaded a dead 4th gen on my trailer before with three people so it can be done. You will need at least 3 people and get the car lined up for a straight shot on to the trailer with a little bit of a running start. Push like hell with two guys behind the car and one guy pushing on the driver side a pillar so that he has the ability to make minor corrections with the steering wheel. A block or two of wood on the trailer to keep the car from rolling too far forward and blocks at the ready to keep it from rolling backwards once you've got it up on the trailer. It's that last little bit of getting the back wheels off the ramps onto the trailer that can be a bitch.

Good luck with it and I love the 3rd gen GTA's. Beautiful cars and yes don't change it if it's an all original WS6.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, yeah its got some aftermarket parts, but as far as drivetrain and body, she is not being converted to anything else... think im gonna keep the crosslaces on her too.. she needs a fuel pump, finish priming and paint(which that will be a while), and some good cleaning up. I should have her monday, and i will post pics as soon as i can!
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with most cars that dont run, I try to use a come-a-long and some chains to get them on my trailer. This allows you to carefully load the car and not damage the front spoiler/ground effects. You can pick-up a decent come-a-long at Harbor freight or Northern tool.

Good luck,
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, we pushed it on ok, 3 ppl pushing, one inside steering/stopping.. offloading was hard... force fed fuel in the car got it running enough to move off trailer, my driveway doesnt get level till right infront of the garage, and we got it off, NO BROKEN PARTS!!! some of the ground effects are off anyway, so that made it easier... poor guy i bought it from was practically in tears seeing it go, he had it since 98 and has tons of parts with it, and was a fanatic on doing stuff right, except his idea of interior mods... ill be hunting 3rd gen stuff over the next year...

Quick Reply: car carrier advice needed