Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Tips on header install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on header install?

I'm going to install my headers and y pipe this weekend. Any tips that would make the install easier?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Restricted User

Buy a LIFT
Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazykid
Buy a LIFT
Haha. Would be nice, but might be considered overkill.

Just be patient. Make sure you have the car jacked up as high as possible, preferrably on all four corners. I'm not sure which headers you're installing, but they all seem to have some sort of fitment issue or issue getting them in. If you're having trouble squeezing them in, just loosen up the motor mounts and jack the motor up to give you more room. You'll scrape up your headers and hands and aggrivate yourself to the point of quitting if you just try to keep mashing them in there. Next header install I do, I'll probably jack the motor up before I even start, lol.

If you have any friends that are willing to help, take advantage of that. Even if they know nothing about cars, its nice to have someone to vent to. Also, as you remove bolts, but them all in seperately labeled ziplock bags. It's much easier to do any install when all of your bolts are labeled and contained.

For the Y-pipe, use a floor jack to hold the y-pipe in place at the height you want it as you clamp everything down. It makes things much easier, and you'll be able to get it tucked up right where you want it.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Before starting, make sure you have plenty of beer and band aids. Oh yea, some neosporin will also come in handy.

All kidding aside, be very carefull with the car lifted that high. Make sure your jack and stands are in good working order and placed in the safest possible locations. I allways shake the car as hard as I can before climbing under it. If it's gonna fall, I would rather not be under it.

Quick Reply: Tips on header install?