Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need jacobs info on this.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluenyghthawk
, cops are fucked up
watch your tongue boy....

316.272 i believe...read up on the florida state statue and you decide wether you can win in court or not
Old 06-06-2007, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where were you pulled over? Sounds like a Palm Bay Cop with nothing better to do, its either a PB PD, or Melbourne. Man my car is not quiet, guess I need to be carefull..
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by b005td
damn, u guys are really supporting the FL legal system ....
i guess i'll have 30 days to think ....
Not Supporting at all....just saying choose your battles wisely, now days they can single you out...pull you over and give a street racing ticket, and you really cant do anything about unless you have a witness....i know this from experiance...i promise you i was driving normal...he said he "saw" me squeel tires, it's BS
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowmofo
Where were you pulled over? Sounds like a Palm Bay Cop with nothing better to do, its either a PB PD, or Melbourne. Man my car is not quiet, guess I need to be carefull..
yea its palm bay PD
Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

i would fight it all the way
Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Any update or your situation?

I would fight it But i also havent heard it

I think the little cars with mod'd exhaust are "noisier" than the muscle cars unless they are completly open. I cant stand to hear a little rice car that sounds like a mesquito. Like scraping fing ernails on a chalk board
Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

you wont win if you go to court and in florida know exhuast is legal other than the factory. its a stupid law that gives cops a reason to pull someone over if they feel like they need to know who you are or what your up to. if i were you i would have one of my cop buddies to sign off on the ticket and pay the 15 dollars. i almost got one of those but she gave me a warning instead. but thats when i just put my xpipes on and they sounded like **** b/c i needed to adjust it but now i never have problems
Old 07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Wow i have gotten that more than once before, i think cops are full of **** when they give that ticket away. I just had the exhaust fixed, which was nothing sinc ei already had the mufflers anyways. Then just took the reciept to court to show that i got it fixed and got the case dismissed. So the most i spent was $40 to get my 2 sweet thunder mufflers welded on.
-Joel
Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry bud, unless your booksmart and know the legal system I dont think you'll just walk into court and get your way. Get a lawyer if you really want to make a stink about it but, you'll have to pay for that then...

I dont see how cops can pull over any automobile for noise when I hear crotch rockets and harleys that sound so much louder, more consistantly, and more often. I have LT's and 3" x-pipe dumped and I dont seem to get in trouble (yet). Maybe I'm lucky or maybe they really dont target the muscle cars as much... oh well....
Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got a written warning for this a few weeks back.. i was at idle at a stoplight.. cop was a super bitch and she said "any non-stock exaust is illegal"

i have LT's, ORY and SLP LMII..

she didnt ask about the cats luckily.. if she did i would do the american thing and LIE LIE LIE
Old 07-05-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes exactly. I don't ride motorcycles, but think they are badass. Now why I say that is bike guys have to know, their bikes are the loudest things out there. Even when I used to run a open cutout that was pointed at the ground, a bike would still be louder.

Exhaust tickets are bullshit.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor - No longer Vendor

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Yes exactly. I don't ride motorcycles, but think they are badass. Now why I say that is bike guys have to know, their bikes are the loudest things out there. Even when I used to run a open cutout that was pointed at the ground, a bike would still be louder.

Exhaust tickets are bullshit.
All I got for mufflers on my car are my cats and its still not as loud as my buddys gsrx600 with a Two Brothers exhaust. Little ****** reved it every morning in front of my condo just to wake me up. Even when my bike starts hittin the rpms with stock exhaust it can put my car to shame. So far with my car, I've only got thumbs-ups from cops. Guess I'm just lucky.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I would find out the exact law and wording in the law and find someone with a decibal meter. It might be a judgement call, but I would think there are specific decibals they have to go by.

By the way, if you just pay the ticket, I think you get points on your lisence. May want to check into that before just paying it. If it is just a catback on a Miata, throw the old exhaust back on and get it inspected. Or NOT. Maybe just have another officer inspect it. I have done that before. Not fix or change anything and took my car to the police station and they signed off on it. They are not really that smart.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and if the officer says the are giving you a faulty muffler ticket, DO NOT say, How could I have a faulty muffler, there is no muffler. They dont like that and it typically costs you dearly.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

I'd fight it but that's me.

Florida State statues:

Title XXIII

Chapter 316.272

316.272 Exhaust systems, prevention of noise.--

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation, including muffler, manifold pipe, and tailpiping to prevent excessive or unusual noise. In no event shall an exhaust system allow noise at a level which exceeds a maximum decibel level to be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.061(11) in cooperation with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Title XXIII

Chapter 316.293

(1) DEFINITIONS.--The following words and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in this subsection, except where the context otherwise requires:

(a) "dB A" means the composite abbreviation for the A-weighted sound level and the unit of sound level, the decibel.

(b) "Gross combination weight rating" or "GCWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination vehicle.

(c) "Gross vehicle weight rating" or "GVWR" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a single vehicle.

(d) "Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only A-weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.

(e) "Department" means the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

(2) OPERATING NOISE LIMITS.--No person shall operate or be permitted to operate a vehicle at any time or under any condition of roadway grade, load, acceleration, or deceleration in such a manner as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit for the category of motor vehicle and applicable speed limit at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel under measurement procedures established under subsection (3).

(a) For motorcycles other than motor-driven cycles: Sound level limit
Speed limit
35 mph or less Speed limit
over 35 mph
Before January 1, 1979 82 dB A 86 dB A
On or after January 1, 1979 78 dB A 82 dB A

(b) For any motor vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,000 pounds or more: Sound level limit
Speed limit
over 35 mph
On or after January 1, 1975 86 dB A 90 dB A

(c) For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b): Sound level limit
Speed limit
over 35 mph
Before January 1, 1979 76 dB A 82 dB A
On or after January 1, 1979 72 dB A 79 dB A

(3) MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES.--The measurement procedures for determining compliance with this section shall be established by regulation of the Department of Environmental Protection as provided in s. 403.415(9), in cooperation with the department. Such regulations shall include the selection of measurement sites and measurement procedures and shall take into consideration accepted scientific and professional methods for the measurement of vehicular sound levels. The measurement procedures may include adjustment factors to be applied to the noise limit for measurement distances of other than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel.

(4) APPLICABILITY.--This section applies to the total noise from a vehicle and shall not be construed as limiting or precluding the enforcement of any other provisions of this chapter relating to motor vehicle mufflers for noise control.

(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified.

(6) EXEMPT VEHICLES.--The following are exempt from the operation of this act:

(a) Emergency vehicles operating as specified in s. 316.072(5)(a).

(b) Any motor vehicle engaged in a professional or amateur sanctioned, competitive sports event for which admission or entry fee is charged, or practice or time trials for such event.

(c) Any motor vehicle engaged in a manufacturer's engineering, design, or equipment test.

(d) Construction or agricultural equipment either on a job site or traveling on the highways.

(7) VIOLATIONS.--A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

cops are going to get you regardles i would just pay the ticket, think about the money you would be wasting going to court, taking vacation from work and all that, once i was going to vegas and i was gunning it hoping on the freeway and a cop stoped me and gave me a warning for speeding and asked me about the exhaust...told him what it was , told him the setup he laughed and said that he will let me go on a warning because i was the only ricer he did not stop today and that he actually enjoyed the sound....... on the other hand ive got music tickets for playing rap cop said" i given you the ticket because I dont like the music you were playing"...too what i replied that i also had a countryy music collection in my Ipod....hehe

usually cops are cool unless your a jerk or a liar...
Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by davidadavila

usually cops are cool unless your a jerk or a liar...
That is very true!

Act like an A$$, expect a ticket for you deserve it!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Honestly reading what was posted above, just about everyone on this site could get whacked for their exhaust.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

316.272 concerning noise level and description of exhaust system.

for you guys with cutouts No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a vehicle on a highway.

Last edited by mrr23; 07-15-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Modified Exhaust Ticket