Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

this was cool montgomery track

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default this was cool montgomery track

Default An Open Letter to all Street Racers from Jim Howard of Montgomery Motorsports Park
An Open Letter to all Street Racers from Jim Howard of Montgomery Motorsports Park:

Eight more deaths in a street racing incident this past weekend and many more seriously injured. I don't understand it. Just a few weeks ago, we had two of our fellow racers and friends killed right here in Alabama. As a matter of fact, one them drove right past MMP just to have a fatal street racing incident 90 miles away.

I am a rookie track owner-operator, so every place I go I ask people, "Do you like drag racing?" Last Saturday, I got an answer that scared me. I was talking to a young lady (an employee of a local business) and I asked her the same question, "Do you like drag racing?" She said "I have never been to a drag strip but my friends and I enjoy watching the street racing that goes on in Montgomery". I asked if she heard about the people who had been killed the night before; she had not and it scared her to death!

I gave her free tickets to Montgomery Motorsports Park and invited her and her friends to come out and enjoy running their cars and watching during one of our Friday Test and Tune sessions (beginning March 7), to race in a safe and controlled environment. She was very excited at that idea. But I want to do more.

I am committed to stop the street racing and bringing it to the drag strip. Over 75 percent of all street or grudge race machines are cars or bikes that are trailered to the race site, then unloaded and raced on our streets. Why? I am calling on all street racers in the River Region and everywhere to stop killing and injuring themselves, their friends and neighbors.

Beginning March 8, I will open Montgomery Motorsports Park every Saturday night and will let everyone who has a car or bike on a trailer run for free. Car and driver will be admitted free. If you want to find out whose car or bike is fastest, bring it to MMP and get it off the streets. If you have a grudge race and want to settle the score, call me at 334.260.9660 and I will let you and your opponent in free and we will make a big deal out of it on the PA.

I have lost two friends in street racing accidents and I will do everything in my power to stop it. That is why we're beginning Saturday Night Street Wars on March 8. We will open the gates at 7 pm and race until 11pm. We will have no scoreboards, just the Christmas tree for starting and a win light on the scoreboards That's it! On Friday nights, beginning March 7, our Test and Tune sessions will race on the full quarter-mile with full scoreboards, time slips concession stand and PA announcer.

During Saturday Night Street Wars, we will race on the 1/8 mile and everything goes! Just like street racing, except we have a safe environment, a paramedic on duty, and lots of bleacher space for people to hang out and watch in safety. Our concession stand will be open and dishing out great food. Think about it...it's a place to race where no one gets a ticket, goes to jail or gets hurt. Sounds like a winner to me. What do you think?

I hope everyone will help me with this issue and spread the word. There will be a small charge for spectators but that's it! You can come hang with your friends on Saturday night, run your car, figure out whose ride is hot and whose is not. You can do this for less than it costs for a few gallons of gas.
There are no winners when street racing goes bad. So why not move it to Montgomery Motorsports Park and get all the rush of racing without any of the negatives or risks of doing it on the street.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks about my idea and lets stop street racing and bring it back to the strip and help us get our good name back. We are Drag Racers NOT Street Racers! I will have this program every Saturday night that we are not having a Special event, which will be at least twice a month.

Hope to hear from everyone and as always I will see you at The Track!

Jim Howard
334-260-9660
Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

CHEERS TO YOU!!
I wish that more tracks would get involved in something
like this. Most of the tracks are only interested in the
money rather than getting people off the streets.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, that's awesome.

I wish you were closer to Jacksonville.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:23 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately a good deal, glad to see a track get involved like that!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Agreed. I'd like to see more tracks offer events like this.

Quick Reply: this was cool montgomery track