Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I`ve about had it with this car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I`ve about had it with this car!

I don`t know if it`s somthing i`m doing wrong or if I have a factory lemon. but this car has been nothing but a pain since i bought it in 99. I`m kickin my *** that i traded my 97 ws6 in on it. I never thought i`d do it but i actually test drove a new 03 cobra today . (I`ve owned a t/a since i was 16). The main problem i`m having is knock, both false and actual, it realy makes the car run like crap. don`t know what else to try I`ve ran 110 octain, installed 10k resistors inline to the new style sensors, I have the pcv system venting to atmosphere, oil restrictor for turbo,ran the he** out of the car last night and pulled the intake off the car this morning and i`m not getting any oil in the intake now but still get KR through the rpms anywhere from 1deg-5deg most of the actual knock is around 4800rpm and is only 1-2deg this false knock is whats killing me. The car has been tuned by 5 differant shops on mustang and dynojets with wb o2s AF ratio is 11.5-1 with 14* max timing have droped timing all the way down to 9* and and up to 18* kr got worse @ 18* but from 9-17* no change. intake temps never read above 115* and the motor has 9.1:1 comp with forged pistons. L-trims are -2.3 @ cruise. somthing that confuses me is the fact that i can run anywhere from 2-12psi boost and still get KR WTF? what have you guys done to get your fi motor to run worth a crap or is it just normal to have these problems? I`m realy sorry this is so long but i`m gonna give it one more shot to get this thing running decent or i`m gonna sell it. realy hate to have to do that but i need somthing I can drive and don`t have to worry about messing with constantly to keep it running right. Thanks .
Old 09-16-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I`ve about had it with this car!

seems like it is false KR check your tranny, exhasut for anything banging.
check your plugs to see if there good you might got all the oil out but they still could have some on the plugs.

dont give up and it will be worth it.

glad to here the restricter is working or are you still smoking?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

How'd you like the test drive of the '03 Cobra?

Old 09-16-2003, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

thanks smokinhawk, the plugs only have about 1000 miles on them but i`ll check them tonight. one good thing is the car did stop smoking . The mustang drove alright but i did miss all the torque @3200rpm all in all it still handles like a mustang(like crap). I called TT to get there opinions on my car, they mentioned to me that they are fabing a race kit for our cars and it should be released in january. Didn`t get to into detail but he said the turbo manifold would be a hedder instead of the log and the kit would be good for well over 700rwhp. (MUST RESIST THE URGE) thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

get ahold of the new edit version and desensitize your sensors.. thats about all i have left to suggest.

what have the tuners had to say individually about the situation?
Old 09-16-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

To of the tuners said it was caused by heat from to restrictive of exhaust. All the tuners said my false knock was probly from having forged pistons cause there don`t seem to be anything bangin under the car. one said the stock computer and sensors were`nt calibrated to see the extra noise from forged internals as normal. kinda makes sense but i still don`t know if i buy it.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

mightymouse or smokinhawk, Did either of you guys ever have false kr problems? what was the culprit?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always get .96* at the end of 3rd and 4th gear even if i up the octane. not sure if its false, but at that low i can live with it.

i used to have a problem when my exhaust would bang into my chasis when my engine torqued which caused 1-2*, but i got that fixed.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i have always had around 1.5* on launch and shifts but it always has gone away toward the end of the gear, so i just have the knock decay ramped way up. with the new edit version i plan on offsetting that 1.5* so i never get it.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

ya the majority of mine is at shifts also. I get from 2-4* on my 2-3 and 3-4 shifts and it never really has enough time to go away befor i shift again but it will steadily drop through the run mightymouse, how much did you increase your decay table?

Quick Reply: I`ve about had it with this car!