Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help a Honda buddy pick a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, take it easy....there are people trying to help you but you have to respect that this is a whole different animal from what we focus on here on 'tech.

Will you get a ton of help here instead of posting on www.honda-tech.com ......NO....but i'm sure there are a few that will help. Call DR turbo, he'll steer you in the right direction when it comes to a turbo.

Smart thing to do would be a nice phone call to Full Race and pick their brains on how to meet your goal for your honda. Those guys are a helpful bunch of guys too.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
This is not one of those dreamer threads. Shawn owns a Honda performance shop with a Dynojet dyno. This is an all out drag car and is the shop car. I know zilch about Honda's but can tell you he has two buds at the local track that trap high 140's (one has gone 148) in the 1/4. He has talked to Dr. Turbo and is getting one spec'ed.

If he owns a HONDA PERFORMANCE SHOP and is a honda god i would think he would have a little more experience with B-series engines. A LS crank will come no where close to his goal. If he was a expert i would think he would know that.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it isn't much of a street car then put a GT42R on it some 1600cc injectors and your Eagles are fine at 800 whp! I see 700+ hp Hondas everyday. My brother owns RLZ Engineering! Transmission on the other hand is a different story. That is my brothers biggest issue right now and he is over 900 whp but only in 3rd/4th at the track.

I personally would think the car would be a lot more enjoyable at 650 whp range! With this route do a T4 based 35R! Very fun street car and reliably run high 9's with supporting axle/transmission mods!

BTW a single (255) pump will NOT be nearly enough for that power level and the factory fuel lines max out around 600 whp +/-. There are companies out there that make a dual walbro set up for Hondas. If you don't want to go that route then do an Aeromotive A1000!

PM me if you have any more questions (more detailed)!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
If he owns a HONDA PERFORMANCE SHOP and is a honda god i would think he would have a little more experience with B-series engines. A LS crank will come no where close to his goal. If he was a expert i would think he would know that.

That is not true. My brother builds 2.0 hondas using the stock LS crank and they live for a very long time at 600+ whp! You just can't rev it to 10,000 like some do with the B18C5 crank! My personal civic that I sold over 3 years ago had a LS crank and made 548 whp on a Mustang dyno, never had a problem!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just gave the guy an 800hp recipe ! And that Shearer guy can email him or whatever since he builds 1300 whp cars. What else is there to say. Obviously this is ls1tech not hondatech.

Its not rocket science. If its been done and it has from my recipe that found on the net in 5 minutes searching then copy it. Course the dyno graph was dreadful for a street car but ok for a race car.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shoaf85
If it isn't much of a street car then put a GT42R on it some 1600cc injectors and your Eagles are fine at 800 whp! I see 700+ hp Hondas everyday. My brother owns RLZ Engineering! Transmission on the other hand is a different story. That is my brothers biggest issue right now and he is over 900 whp but only in 3rd/4th at the track.

I personally would think the car would be a lot more enjoyable at 650 whp range! With this route do a T4 based 35R! Very fun street car and reliably run high 9's with supporting axle/transmission mods!

BTW a single (255) pump will NOT be nearly enough for that power level and the factory fuel lines max out around 600 whp +/-. There are companies out there that make a dual walbro set up for Hondas. If you don't want to go that route then do an Aeromotive A1000!

PM me if you have any more questions (more detailed)!

Or you could go dual bosh 044s (I think thats the name of them, they make external and inline pumps) they are like the walbros only like 50$ more each and 2 of them should be able to support more than 1 aeromotive A1000

Btw I cant imagine an 800whp honda being any faster than a 650whp honda. If you have such lofty WHP goals I am guessing you need that power to attain a certain goal at the track, what is that goal because At this power level whoever has the best suspension setup is going to go faster.. Those cars have such bad traction problems its stupid. Plus they have stupid short gearing.. Like another guy said some of these cars are blowing the tires off so bad and going through the gears so fast they dont even hit full spool till 3rd or 4th.

Last edited by sciff5; 11-13-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Not a lot of love in here so far.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
LS cranks and any other honda crank can hold anything you can throw at it. Please dont talk about something u dont know about. I made 740whp with a LS crank

And i already answered/gave soem tips in this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/10475777-post15.html
Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 PM
no title here

99TAWS6 please stop with the long *** post....damn every time I see one of your post they are very very very long. I know you are trying to get alot of info in the post but much like Austin Powers when I read them my eyes go crossed and I procede to the next post. I am not trying to be mean.....but damn
Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
99TAWS6 please stop with the long *** post....damn every time I see one of your post they are very very very long. I know you are trying to get alot of info in the post but much like Austin Powers when I read them my eyes go crossed and I procede to the next post. I am not trying to be mean.....but damn

I type fast ,read fast,live fast, drive fast..if you can't handle my long posts..simple DON"T READ THEM!

Now I am starting to think we are the new HONDA FORUM!
So why are these guys really asking for advice here. We don't know squat for the most part about Hondas and why lie..WE DON'T REALLY WANT TO!
Big surprise.Thats why most of us are driving a big v8 or at least v6 car.

Now lets get real. And I was trying to be nice.. I do like my little talon motors but seriously two guys or even one big guy can take the engine out of the car with no cherry picker and carry it into the engine buidling shop. Fact thats what my one big buddy did. He carried my 2.4 long block into the engine shop! And yes my talons are fun being awd and pretty darn quick but they are lawnmower engines in reality. And truth be told I bet my 1000 hp ls1 gets as good mileage as my 650 hp talon maybe better! So much for the small displacement bettter mileage theory.

We are talking about engine sizes smaller than a 2 litre pop bottle. Yes they can put out big power with turbos and lots of spray. No they don't really have a decent street powerband at that power level .Been there with a 2.4 litre so don't try to con me. Unless you like spool up as said from maybe 5000 up in third and don't think you are going to see great boost going up thru the gears and yeah you can gear down if you are the higher gears but that gets a bit old. And yes you can use your antilag and two steps to build boost on the line. Have that stuff also on my talons. And at least with awd you can hook. Those hondas that I see hook are on drag slicks at the track. On the street most of them are spin city. My rwd with nittos can destroy them.My awd on street tires eat them for breakfast on the street.

But the fact remains that we are still talking hp with very little torque until way up the power band. Every driven an s2000. To me being a v8 guy they suck. They are like driving a race bike but they don't weigh 400 pounds like a race bike. Sure on paper they make power but the powerband is terrible.

So I guess am getting in a bad mood. We have tried to help. given you some recipes for the honda and enough is enough.Its bad enough we are all stressewd thinking our beloved GM might go bye bye and I might never get to buy my dream c7. or c8 or whatever comes after that because you can believe me when I say this I will drive a mountain bike everywhere before I ever would drive or own a honda.

Ok there said it .sorry trying to be objective but just can't. Course might be the alcohol talking now..Yeah I am drinking a bit..yeah I have shares in GM.

So in a fighting mood now..so please tell more more lies about how streetable big turbos on 1.8 litre pop bottle displacement engines. And I will talk about how a punched out lsx block twin turbo could put out well over 2000 hp if we want to talk numbers and pretty much same torque.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=2001WS6Vert;10475928]Thank you for your recipe, allthough it is not going to make 800whp. sorry you cant make that kind of power on gsr cams... going to need a bigger wastegate than 44mm, do some more research I guess, quit with the long winded answers, im not into reading books about why you are right and Im wrong.

HUH that recipe came direct off a honda shops site! With the 800 whp dyno and 500 ft pounds torque. I should have bookmarked it. course the powerband was horrible horrible for a street car.As said ok for a track car.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is why you don't ask for info about Hondas on an LSX board. Half the mouth-breathers here give horrible information regarding LSX's...You think they'll do any better with Hondas?

There's been a few decent posts in this thread, and quite a few ignorant ones.

You want to build a flying Honda? Go read up on Honda-tech in the Drag Racing forum. There's more information there than you'll know what to do with. PM Tony from T1 Race Development.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSx swap!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

I Made a nice 620whp with my STi. I ran a fully built axis motor with a nice GT35R 1.06 Turbo!!!! Still had room!!! Love the turbo...smaller hotside would have been nice...just to keep the lag down a little. But mine was my daily so if you are a track guy only... keep going!!!

Here is a cold Start vid......

Quick Reply: Help a Honda buddy pick a turbo?