Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Which kit would you buy?
APS
27.63%
TTi
19.74%
other
52.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

What turbo system to go with and why?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm Peter likely has just moved on to other forums. Aps makes a lot of different systems for many different cars.

I will likely be trying to contact Peter or APS over next month or so as I figure out what I want to do with my one dud turbo and also likely will order the upgraded intake tubes as well. Haven't been in a big rush with car away for winter.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hmm Peter likely has just moved on to other forums. Aps makes a lot of different systems for many different cars.
maybe - haven't been able to find him anywhere on other forums unless he is using a different name! so who is pushing their product in the forums? seems like they are missing out.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I don't like about APS(at least on GTO's) is that you need a scavenge pump for the oil return. A buddy of mine is on his 4th oil scavenge pump and they aren't cheap.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I really wanted the APS kit until reading all the problems they have. I think there are other options out there that will be more reliable. I think there is to much of a gamble with the APS kit if its actually going to work or not. I don't want to drop that kind of money and time into a kit then turn right around and have to take the turbo off and send it back. That's ******* ridiculous to have to do.

I think either TTi or Josh at Kentucky will get you where you want to be.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

The f body aps kit doesn't use a scavenge pump,one thing I liked about it. But we have seen some guys saying they are getting oil out of the turbos and not sure why exactly.Gave some possible reasons above. But Louis was getting the problem even after adding scavenge pump,changing pcv setup and then finally less after changing out the center cartridges which are basically the whole turbo. Still seen no complaints I could find on the c5 or gto boards running exact same turbos but then they both might run scavenger pumps like you said think the gto does.

I will be sticking with my kit and tweaking a few things on it as necessary. But a single kit is simpler and the aps turbos are pain to take off and put back on. But upside is air conditioning is retained and not much else is relocated and you can get access to plugs pretty much like stock.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The GTO's do have a scavenge pump since the turbo's are at the same level as the oil pan. I just wasn't sure where APS put the turbo's on the F-bodies.

Me personally, I am having a local shop fab me up a one off single turbo kit. It's a shop that does custom headers and exhaust, but they do the occasional custom build. Pretty fair price also. And since all the do is headers and exhaust it won't take them very long to build it. Since they are local they only require 50% down and 50% upon completion.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I really wanted the APS kit until reading all the problems they have. I think there are other options out there that will be more reliable. I think there is to much of a gamble with the APS kit if its actually going to work or not. I don't want to drop that kind of money and time into a kit then turn right around and have to take the turbo off and send it back. That's ******* ridiculous to have to do.

I think either TTi or Josh at Kentucky will get you where you want to be.
I second that, about Josh at Kentucky. I'll be purchasing my kit from them next month.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trnsfmr99
I second that, about Josh at Kentucky. I'll be purchasing my kit from them next month.
I just came from looking at kentucky turbo site and I think you will be very happy from what I saw at the site. Just make sure you specify to him that you want a kit that retains the a/c because I didn't see one on the site.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

josh can do anything you want,just give him a call on what you want and power goals and he will make you a killer kit
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I noticed on kentucky turbo's site that their kit comes with a tc76 turbo but I went on turbonetics site and the site has a hp76 turbo on it. Is that turbo the equivalent of the tc76? What size exhaust housing and compressor does kentucky turbo give with their kit and is it a ball bearing or journal bearing turbo? What is the trim of the turbine?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Banned

Typical TC76 Specs:
TC76, F1 Trim, .98A/R, Journal Bearing. Based off the HP units.
Spooled at 2300rpm on my 8.5:1 370, was on the WG at 2800rpms.
Its the perfect Turbo for a Street or Streep/Strip car. Easily capable of 750+rwhp.

Last edited by Josh @ KYTP; 01-01-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Is your car an auto or stick? You say they are based off the hp units, what is the difference in the two?

Last edited by 87silverbullet; 01-01-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Is your car an auto or stick? You say they are based off the hp units, what is the difference in the two?
HP is a series of turbo's that Turbonetics offers. The TC76 is a turbo in that series.

My old car had a TH400 and a 9 inch rear. Made 770rwhp on 15lbs. Ran some 9.4's @ 140mph.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

a buddy of mine had some defective APS turbo's on his TA. APS was going to resolve the issue, but they wanted the turbo's sent back to them and there was going to be a chain of events that would have caused the car to be torn down for probably 2 weeks, so he just pulled the turbos and took them to a local Turbo Supply. When they were torn down, one of two critical bearings were missing, as in: never installed to begin with, and the other was the wrong size, resulting a about .040" radial play in the shaft....IIRC...the housing on one unit also was cracked and needed replaced. $800 later, the car runs fine and doesn't smoke like a freight train any more...

...on the other side, the quality of the APS kit is spectacular. Overall fit and finish is superb and the car makes astonishing power, considering it's bone stock with a 12-bolt and APS kit running 7psi. i think it made 515rwhp, stock everything else. if i had the money to dump on a TTi or APS kit, i'd fab my own, but that's me. if APS has resolved their issues, i'd be confident in either company's kits. APS's customer serivice (in this instance) was great too......but hey, i'm just a NA guy, so...whatever
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know APS hasn't been on here because there closed for Christmas and new years. I think they took off a month. Open up on the 15 I believe. It's on there site.

Kyle
Old 01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Well interesing on what was wrong with the turbos. Also shows they need some better quality control.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well interesing on what was wrong with the turbos. Also shows they need some better quality control.
yeah you're probably right, but "**** happens." this particular kit has almost 10K miles on it, and it only recently displayed the issues i spoke of earlier. they were prepared to stand by their product, but my buddy was wanting the car going ASAP and didn't want to wait on shipping back and forth and whatnot. yeah, i'd be leary about a APS kit, considering what some people have dealt with, but like i said, regardless of their quality, for the money i'd fab my own kit and call it a day....but that's just me.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Josh is building my single turbo setup right now. I should have it next week so i will post many pictures. The kit he is making me is custom to exactly what i wanted. Factory manifolds for durability,this kit also keeps a/c,p/s. Just requires an alternator relocation and either some really low profile fans,or fliping the fans to a pusher on the other side. I cant wait to see,ive heard nothing but great things about Kentucky Turbo.

Alex
Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Josh is building my single turbo setup right now. I should have it next week so i will post many pictures. The kit he is making me is custom to exactly what i wanted. Factory manifolds for durability,this kit also keeps a/c,p/s. Just requires an alternator relocation and either some really low profile fans,or fliping the fans to a pusher on the other side. I cant wait to see,ive heard nothing but great things about Kentucky Turbo.

Alex
I will be looking forward to that.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01

Alex
Yes please post pics. I would like to see fitment with the kit and the relocation of the fans to the front

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What turbo system to go with and why?