Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS and overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forgot to ask..............not trying to change the subject

Did everyone else have a hell of a time getting the bellow on between the maf and throttle body? I hope I don't have to take that off anytime soon...........that was a pain.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
AC will make a big difference..........best just roll down the windows if it is hot and your in traffic.

I have been thinking about it a little......................If you look up the air tunnel, there isn't much room at all for air to get through.

Anybody thought about cutting out around the tag bracket area and also the APS air tunnel so that air can get in from two places on a Firebird. I am getting the bumper support from burkhart.....I got it for weight purposes, but It would allow for a direct path for air to go throught the intercooler and radiator if the tag and aps air tunnel were cut for it.
same reason i am getting the burkhart. and for at the track and hot days so air can go straight in.

let me know how it goes.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
forgot to ask..............not trying to change the subject

Did everyone else have a hell of a time getting the bellow on between the maf and throttle body? I hope I don't have to take that off anytime soon...........that was a pain.
maf, what's that? Haven't had one since the kit went on. I used some 4 ply 4" silicone coupling, 4" piece of painted pipe with holes drilled in it for the meth nozzle & iat sensor.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some more driving around today with the same cooling setup, for those who don't know it's: LT1 radiator, 160 T-stat, 25% dexcool, the rest water and one bottle of water wetter.
It was 87 degrees today, here's the break down:
AC off: Spirited city driving it seems to level off about 197. This is after 3-4 short WOT blasts, sitting at traffic lights, cruising ~ 35 mph.

AC on: City driving, no beating on it, just keeping up with traffic, it got to 210, I turned the AC off, and it went back down to 195 or so.

Then I got up on the loop, ~65 mph, just cruising dropped to 190, still dropping when I turned the AC on.

65 mph, cruising with AC it leveled off at 205, pretty sure I could have kept driving all day and it wouldn't have got any hotter.

Then I let it idle for 10 minutes or so with no AC, it got to 210 and stayed there.

I think I can deal with it as is, just no AC when cruising around town. What sucks is that's mostly what I do, I don't drive the car on the highway much. I should be ok going on long hwy trips with the AC on, not that I ever really do. Little hotter than I'd like, but nothing too bad.

Anybody think there's anything that can be done to improve airflow to the radiator?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

has anyone tried a Griffin LT1 radiator?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Bump,

Quick Reply: APS and overheating