Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Port or not.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Port or not.

I picked up a set of 317 heads for my turbo ls1 build. I was wondering if i should port them. I dont think it should make a difference because i will only run 12 pounds of boost with meth. I am still going to use a stock rotating assembly with a 03 zo6 cam and a TC78. I have seen people getting 700rwhp out of stock heads. I am only looking to get around 600rwhp. This would be my first time porting heads so they would not be nearly as good as cnc ported heads. So should i leave the ports alone or should i try porting them?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you already have the right tools - flexshaft grinder, die grinder, bits, etc.? At a certain point you have to determine if buying the tools or paying someone to do $300-500 of modest bowl and port work is the right way to go. If this is your first set of heads you'll be porting, I also wouldn't recommend using carbide cutters. Use sanding rolls and WD40 instead. It's a lot slower but harder for you to really screw something up quickly.

That being said, a turbo motor is still an air pump, and anything (like porting) that help it pump more efficiently will pay off in power.

I also have not seen any good books on LSx porting, but I have had great luck porting my own SBC heads to David Vizard's books.

Jim
Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

I'm building kinda the same set up u have. 317's,02 Z06 cam,stock 02 6.0 shortblock w/katech rod bolts,and a T76. You'll make your 600rwhp goal easy. The porting would allow the engine to move more air in more effciently. So you could make the same power with less boost. Your still moving the same volume of air though. If you can get that. Good luck on ur build.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have never ported heads before definintly don't do it. It takes lots of practice and you probibily will end up ruining a few sets of heads just learning. Way easier to pay someone 500 bucks.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

After reading all the threads with people screwing up the heads i think i will just leave them. I dont want to have to buy another set of heads and i need my car to get back together.The stock heads should flow plenty for 600 hp. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Port or not.