Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where to position methanol nozzlel, maf, and IAT sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Where to position methanol nozzlel, maf, and IAT sensor

The question is same as the subject.

I have an ATI DISC with EPP front mounted intercooler with a stock MAF.

The piping in the kit places the IAT in the pipe before the MAF with the MAF between the IAT and the throttle body.

The installer of the ALKYCONTROl kit wanted to plumb the nozzle in the throttle body which sounded like a bad idea to me. I said no and told him to stop with the install.

He reply was that the nozzle has to be installed between the MAF and throttle body and the alky nozzle should not be on the intake side of the MAF.

He said the IAT sensor is of little concern with it affecting timing not more than 2 degrees.

My reply- but the alky nozzle is supposed to be close and installed in front of the IAT sensor. Because of a disagreement I told him to stop the install.

So what is the correct answer for plumbing a system with a MAF - supercharger and FMIC?

It appears to me the only way to plumb the system is install another sensor location aft of MAF and in front of the throttle body with the alky nozzle aft of the MAF (output side) and ahead of the IAT sensor (intake side).

Searching I haven't found any installs plumbed that way.

Note: In Wichita KS - no good tuners to do an SD tune and go Mafless.

A MAF including the IAT doesn't satisy the rule 'install the nozzle aft of the MAF and before or near the IAT'.

Is the IAT a non - issue?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the MAF and before the IAT. The IAT sensor can be used as a fail safe system. Tune the car without meth (baseline for IAT's) then tune the car with the meth (much lower IAT's) When the car sprays meth it will be setup for it. IF it doesn't spray meth the IAT sensor will recognize the warmer IAT's and pull timing saving your motor.

Meth is fuel of course so by putting it in the intact tract before the TB it lets it become gas form.

Quick Reply: Where to position methanol nozzlel, maf, and IAT sensor