Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how much diff will twin logs flow over tubular headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pmbmax
I dont want to get in the middle of any contest . I run headers on my car but my cousen runs a super stock tractor 90 to 100psi of boost has log manifolds on intake and exhaust here is a link to a pic f the tractor. It really dont show the exhaust but he runs around 2 psi of boost to 1 psi of back pressure. we have talked many times of how i do good to get 1 psi of boost to 2 psi of back pressure just food for thought http://www.distributorless.com/media/rides.php

also see how much torque a 100psi will make http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhRUO...eature=related
Bloody hell! lol cant see the vid but it looks a monster. what size are the second set of turbos he is running?? also is the primary turbo stock??

Chris.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hahaha, that youtube video is hilarious! I love how the people don't even move. They're like, "We almost just got run over by a monster tractor. Oh well."
Old 02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No 2 air reserch 3 inch in and 4 inch out that blowes into the intake of a 4 inch in and 5 inch out. it makes 30 plus of boost on the inlet of the big one .also runs a waterman top fuel pump. This is a diesel converted to methonal i have a funny one if i can find it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAwL9...e=channel_page
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
I'd be happy to compare a home built poorly built header setup to a C6Z log manifold setup. Hell, I bet the 6.0 logs don't do too bad. Remember headers you have to start thinking about alot of other problems:

-Flange thickness
-Metal used
-bends
-welds
I know headers pretty well, mainly turbo headers. I've built a couple thousand of them by now and that's not an exaggeration. We've done comparison's on smaller displacement engines and logs flow terrible when compared to a tubular. They do get the job done, up to a point, and are significantly cheaper than a tubular manifold. Just as in a tubular manifold there are a lot of variables that will determine how well a log set-up can work. But you can count on them every time to become a restriction at higher horsepower levels.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yep logs are tough as nails and I think they retain more heat for the turbo
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shearer
I know headers pretty well, mainly turbo headers. I've built a couple thousand of them by now and that's not an exaggeration. We've done comparison's on smaller displacement engines and logs flow terrible when compared to a tubular. They do get the job done, up to a point, and are significantly cheaper than a tubular manifold. Just as in a tubular manifold there are a lot of variables that will determine how well a log set-up can work. But you can count on them every time to become a restriction at higher horsepower levels.
I agree. However there are a ton of truck manifold setups out there that make great horsepower and for budget its the way to go, for all out its an equal length tube mani. BTW, your pictures in the thread on yellowbullet are inspiration to me as a welder
Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themachasy
I agree. However there are a ton of truck manifold setups out there that make great horsepower and for budget its the way to go, for all out its an equal length tube mani. BTW, your pictures in the thread on yellowbullet are inspiration to me as a welder
I agree with that 100%. The larger displacement these motors have, compared to what I usually deal with, helps tremendously. Another point is that I would not be too surprised if the factory truck manifolds flow as good, possibly even better, than a traditional log style set-up. Maybe they need some porting? I've never seen the inside of one. Has anyone done any sort of testing along these lines?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shearer
I agree with that 100%. The larger displacement these motors have, compared to what I usually deal with, helps tremendously. Another point is that I would not be too surprised if the factory truck manifolds flow as good, possibly even better, than a traditional log style set-up. Maybe they need some porting? I've never seen the inside of one. Has anyone done any sort of testing along these lines?

Thanks.
I could probably do a test with my 5.3.... bit of a smaller motor but I have a set of truck manifolds and plan on fabbing some tube manis up for an s374. Maybe I could do a test like full race did many moons ago!

You come highly recommended from Mike and Jeff from HStuning for 1.8t stuff, I dabble in a bit of everything. Jeffs jetta SCREAMS now.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you coming from the truck world that there is pretty much no gain NA in swapping stock truck manifolds to shorty tubular manifold, so they must flow pretty well.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Like headers in any application, the only benefit is in the upper RPMs. Since its "forced" you probably wouldnt see much difference. After the turbo is where its more crucial for flow. It would be interestnig to see the difference in an exact same setup just swapping tubular headers for log one. Anyone with a dyno bored?

Quick Reply: how much diff will twin logs flow over tubular headers?