Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo shaft play

I noticed i have a tiny bit of turbo shaft play. I have an STS set up with a turbonetics T76. Will the shaft play cause the turbo not to boost? (I should be making 10lbs BUT i only make about 2lbs at most. When i start making boost, I hear a popping sound coming from the turbo. I checked the couplings but nothing is torn.)
Old 02-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Teching In

What is a tiny bit of shaft play? Typ. clearance if I remember correctly is 0.003 to 0.005 end play, in and out or moving the nut in the same direction parallel to the shaft. Radial play is 0.015 to 0.020, that is a side to side motion. Shaft play will not cause any problems unless of course it is severe enough to make housing contact with the turbine or compressor wheels. You will need an indicator to check end play if you want to, you can try to measure radial by using a feeler guage and measuring the clearance between the compressor wheel and housing at each extreme (close and away) and subtract to find the difference. I am sure there will be alot more people giving you more ideas to what is happening.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

i had a compresor that lost one of the radial bearings and the end play ( in and out) was still in spec. It would NOT spool up on the brake but it would build boost ater i got rpms up. I was looking for a boost leak and all kinds of stuff. what caught my eye was a idle it was not turning as fast as it should. When i would check it with the engine off it would spin free. but when the exhaust hit it it was hard to turn. ( just what i done was held the nut and got some one else to crank the car I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS ) as soon as it started you could turn it but it was harder than with the engine off I alo tried it with the y pipe off and with just oil presure still easy to turn. just some stuff i run into.

Quick Reply: turbo shaft play