FI
95.24%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide, Nitrous or FI.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also seems that with the size shot you're wanting to run, your nitrous tune may be leaving some on the table N/A.

I vote FI, supercharging in particular.

I can't wait to run my buddy with his nitrous and bolt-on setup. I really think he's going to get blown away.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some Nozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
$10 a pound?

I used to pay $2.50 a pound.

yes sir but depending where you are north of the boarder like in Toronto its another 13% gravy for the commies.

On to the question...

I was stuck in the same boat for a while too. I decided to go the nitrous route. I have a prorace fogger on a bbc which now being set up to run upwards of 400 worth of gas.

I MADE A MISTAKE!!! Not that I dont like it more on the side that I should have gone with my original intention. Surfing sites and asking questions somehow has a tendancy to persuade people. LOL. I'll be at the same mark that I want to be but at the cost of unstreetability not completly but alot less hidden if you know what I mean.

Turbos are great and eventualy thats where Ill be in the near future or posssibly a F3. For your application and from what I gather reading between the lines is your not going to be "on it" as often, except for some track time. With that said I think the fabrication, time, and money I would put a turbo second inline with a procharcher or charger of your choice. A small kit will cost you around $500 or so direct port would be double that. A charger would be around $3000 or so and will not require refills either. Being south of the boarder you guys pay fairly cheap for nitrous so a summers worth of gas might only cost you $100 or so depending on how big a shot you run and how often. So $500 plus say $150 for refills your at $650
That money would put you inline somewhat with a turbo and chargers track potential depending on chassis set up, driver etc. more importantly what size of chargers you pick.

My vote goes for a small kit vs forced air.

I forgot to add none of the above choices can be put on, turned on, and run ***** out without proper tuning. You cant put a turbo on turn up the boost and hope for the best, same goes for nitrous and superchargers.

Last edited by jester1; 04-01-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jester1
so a summers worth of gas might only cost you $100 or so depending on how big a shot you run and how often..

$100 of spray for a summer? I know guys who spray that in a couple hours...
Old 04-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Banned

yes sir but depending where you are north of the boarder like in Toronto its another 13% gravy for the commies.

On to the question...

I was stuck in the same boat for a while too. I decided to go the nitrous route. I have a prorace fogger on a bbc which now being set up to run upwards of 400 worth of gas.

I MADE A MISTAKE!!! Not that I dont like it more on the side that I should have gone with my original intention. Surfing sites and asking questions somehow has a tendancy to persuade people. LOL. I'll be at the same mark that I want to be but at the cost of unstreetability not completly but alot less hidden if you know what I mean.

Turbos are great and eventualy thats where Ill be in the near future or posssibly a F3. For your application and from what I gather reading between the lines is your not going to be "on it" as often, except for some track time. With that said I think the fabrication, time, and money I would put a turbo second inline with a procharcher or charger of your choice. A small kit will cost you around $500 or so direct port would be double that. A charger would be around $3000 or so and will not require refills either. Being south of the boarder you guys pay fairly cheap for nitrous so a summers worth of gas might only cost you $100 or so depending on how big a shot you run and how often. So $500 plus say $150 for refills your at $650
That money would put you inline somewhat with a turbo and chargers track potential depending on chassis set up, driver etc. more importantly what size of chargers you pick.

My vote goes for a small kit vs forced air.

I forgot to add none of the above choices can be put on, turned on, and run ***** out without proper tuning. You cant put a turbo on turn up the boost and hope for the best, same goes for nitrous and superchargers.
100 bucks around here will get you 15 lbs. or so. That's good for a long night of racing and about it.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

You guys pay that much also?!
Seems like the further south you go the cheaper it is. When in Florida I could get it for about $1.64/lb up to $2.50/lb so my math was based off those numbers. I was figuring $20 per bottle so 7-8 bottles worth maybe running 150-175 shot, it would go along way.
Ill even go as far as saying $250 worth of gas in the summer is still worth it. Now if your going to be spraying every pass, on the street basicaly always into the "gas"
then I would seriously start giving a procharger set up concideration. We had a D1R on a mild sbc and it ran liked a raped ape.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Blower if your not on a budget but like alot of us we are so nitrous gets us by
Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Default answer

Hey, let me help you out and cut out some confusion for u. This is the real question..... Do you have 6,000 dollars to buy, install and tune your car? or, Do you have 600 dollars to buy, install and ... run your car? My credentials are 7 cars, 5 with nitrous, 2 with prochargers. When I was in college I had nitrous due to money. When I got a job I bought real enjoyment forced induction. The aboslute bottom line is you said your car is the fastest you have ever owned. Thats cool so what your telling all of us on this forum is your used to a mid 13 second quarter mile car. If you put a mild cam headers and a few other parts, 9lbs of boost u can run 11's and are more than likely to be happy with your car. If that's the case for u sleep on it and your answer will come. A word of advice from me to.... I lost one of my friends 2 weeks ago because a tire blew up a killed him.... enjoy your life. if a fast car is your dream, make it happen for yourself, sincerely with thought, blown 97
Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry for you loss.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Banned

You guys pay that much also?!
Seems like the further south you go the cheaper it is. When in Florida I could get it for about $1.64/lb up to $2.50/lb so my math was based off those numbers. I was figuring $20 per bottle so 7-8 bottles worth maybe running 150-175 shot, it would go along way.
Ill even go as far as saying $250 worth of gas in the summer is still worth it. Now if your going to be spraying every pass, on the street basicaly always into the "gas"
then I would seriously start giving a procharger set up concideration. We had a D1R on a mild sbc and it ran liked a raped ape.
The 250 bucks worth of gas one may spray in the summer...hmph, I can get THAT much fun from boost in one trip to the grocery store.

I couldn't imagine having to fill my blower with N20 to get it to work. I don't think there is a comparison between FI or nitrous here at all.

That big hit to the wallet hurts at first, but man is it worthwhile.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joblo1978
The 250 bucks worth of gas one may spray in the summer...hmph, I can get THAT much fun from boost in one trip to the grocery store.

I couldn't imagine having to fill my blower with N20 to get it to work. I don't think there is a comparison between FI or nitrous here at all.

That big hit to the wallet hurts at first, but man is it worthwhile.

Your right, and I wont argue that.
But if he is money constraint nos is the only way to go.
$5000 is a huge expenditure especialy now a days.
You could always spray for now while you save up for a charger the recoupe a few buck when you sell the plate.
X2 sorry for your loss.

Quick Reply: Help me decide, Nitrous or FI.