Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turn up the boost or upgrade the turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blades
Good point about the back pressure.. Would this be because of the turbine difference or mainly because of a larger downpipe? Regarding the IATs and pushing the turbo harder.. is this in part to increased oil temps? I have added an oil cooler. One seems to be the cause of another and vice versa.... Pushing the turbo harder = increased oil temps = pushing the turbo even harder than before. heh.. ?

I'll have to collect a bunch of datalogs and see what the relation to oil temp vs ambient temp vs intake air temp vs boost vs boost duration. Heh, thats a lot of stuff to compare, but you get the idea. I think the duration (of the boost) is my IAT heater.. makes sense. Like an overdriven M112 Eaton...

What fluctuations in IAT do you see @ a given boost level.
A larger down pipe would help, But that turbo would be out of breath at higher hp levels. The Iat's are going to go up and oil temp wont go through the roof but it will raise up. Basicly your going to take that turbo beyond its range threashold meaning it will make boost but your going to over spin it and thats one part of the will make the iat's go up. I know you just wat 500 hp but there are better ways to get it. If your ballin on a budget a mpt 70 trim will net you your goal and have a little room to grow. Ipersonally seen this turbo put down 630 on a 408 gto. Far above your goal but that turbo will produce the numbers you want and run alot better.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TARZAN
Guys, you're all giving great advice....but all he said he wanted was 500 RWHP....he never said anything about looking for 600+ or anything.

-Will
Ummm.. he is driving (I think) an LS2 GTO... if he wants 500RWHP he could damn near get there with bolt-ons. His problem is that he is operating WAAAAAAYYYY out of the efficency range of that turbo... with the back pressure and lack of FMIC, I think the only thing he is doing is stressing his setup (Oiling system and engine). You need to get into the efficency range of an effective turbo. 60-1 is too small for a 402... nobody should have even sold him that kit if they knew what he was bolting it to. I had the 67-1 turbo from STS on my 346 stock LS1 and made 534RWHP with just 8lbs of boost.

I am not saying he should be shooting to make crazy HP... but when you go F/I (that investment) you should get at LEAST 30-40+% increase in HP... LS2 is ~420HP + 35% = 567HP.

His other option (Again in my opinion) is to keep doing what he is doing... miss a meth spray and blow up his motor... all for less then 500RWHP??? Upgrade the turbo, get an FMIC... run safe boost WITHIN the efficency range of a turbo and get good safe results.

The FMIC I have on my car is Amazing (LMR Josh is a beast)... We saw 16lbs of boost runs with the IAT's at 107deg. When spending FI money... its worth it for the safety.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blades
Do not use a boost controller.. They are crap crap crap. I could not get a turbosmart MBC to work with my setup and the EBCs are very expensive. WG springs are cheap and very easy to install.. If you are hell bent on getting a MBC, you might as well take a thick needle and start poking holes in your vac line to the turbo - as this is equiv to what a MBC would do (don't do that, just making a point)
Can you elaborate on this a little more? I am getting the TurboSmart MBC and this has me worried now. What exactly is wrong with them?

Also this is kind of the same question, but if I already have a big enough turbo for my car, is it safer to turn the boost up a little more or install a turbo cam?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one guy says an MBC wont work, therefore they are all bad? Not true. Ive used an MBC before, and they work fine, just take a lot of fine tuning to figure out exactly what amount of turning the **** will do for your setup in terms of boost.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Ummm.. he is driving (I think) an LS2 GTO... if he wants 500RWHP he could damn near get there with bolt-ons. His problem is that he is operating WAAAAAAYYYY out of the efficency range of that turbo... with the back pressure and lack of FMIC, I think the only thing he is doing is stressing his setup (Oiling system and engine). You need to get into the efficency range of an effective turbo. 60-1 is too small for a 402... nobody should have even sold him that kit if they knew what he was bolting it to. I had the 67-1 turbo from STS on my 346 stock LS1 and made 534RWHP with just 8lbs of boost.

I am not saying he should be shooting to make crazy HP... but when you go F/I (that investment) you should get at LEAST 30-40+% increase in HP... LS2 is ~420HP + 35% = 567HP.

His other option (Again in my opinion) is to keep doing what he is doing... miss a meth spray and blow up his motor... all for less then 500RWHP??? Upgrade the turbo, get an FMIC... run safe boost WITHIN the efficency range of a turbo and get good safe results.

The FMIC I have on my car is Amazing (LMR Josh is a beast)... We saw 16lbs of boost runs with the IAT's at 107deg. When spending FI money... its worth it for the safety.
+1 it is always better to play it safe than sorry with this kind of hobby. it's kinda like if you run a lot of spray would you do that without any safety measures? Same thing here but you would have more to lose.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PBMGoatM6
Can you elaborate on this a little more? I am getting the TurboSmart MBC and this has me worried now. What exactly is wrong with them?

Also this is kind of the same question, but if I already have a big enough turbo for my car, is it safer to turn the boost up a little more or install a turbo cam?
you might as well put in your "turbo" cam, do things right the first time and never worry about it again
Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by longrange4u

I have FMIC + meth. And you can get to 500rwhp with "bolt-ons" if you count heads as bolt ons and get a huge cam. stock these put down 330rwhp. i'm currently putting down 422rwhp @ 5psi.

Quick Reply: Turn up the boost or upgrade the turbo ?