Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo selection

i am putting together a 10 to1 383 LS1. it will be 90% street driven with 1 or 2 trips to the dragstrip a month. it will be driven on the expressway often. i was wondering if i should go with a twin turbo set up or a larger single. also this is just a starter engine as i just want to get the car on the road. later on down the road i will be building a 402ci or 408ci engine and want to just be able to move the turbo set up to the new engine. the set up is going into a 70 Monte Carlo that weighs in at around 4000lbs. any and all help will be helpfull. thanks dave
Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, with all the room in that bay, I d run twins.....two 60-1's or 61's or 62's with divided exhuast housings and the quick spool valve on each one. I would change your engine selection alittle too, if you havnt gotten to far with it. Power is easy, with turbos, and you have plenty of room for a big intercooler. A 370 build will save you money, money to spend on the turbos. Lower the compression to as low as you can go....if possible. 8.5-9.0 to 1.

If the 10-1 383 is already in motion, plan on e85 for fuel. If you can get the compression lower, still plan on e85 if you can, but atleast you would always be able to through 91 in it also.

Either engine can make 750 rwhp pretty easy, but the 370 will cost alittle less, and may be alittle more forgiving with lower compression. Youll need the high imp 83's or a convertor box and 120's for e85, or a stand alone. Id go with the 83's and oem pcm, and a $450 dollar aftemarket harness. And dont forget the water/meth kit.

Stock manifolds, and simple piping get it done, dont bother with to much there as you may change things as you go for fit etc.