Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Gurus -- Smoke on Accel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Gurus -- Smoke on Accel

Like my sig sates I have an STS car -- recently while driving started getting oil smoke out of tail pipe only when accelerating. Doesnt have to be WOT any acceleration that oil pressure increases. I changed the scavange pump out installed a .65 restrictor and still it smokes on acceleration. No smoke at idle or on start up. Could the turbo itself need rebuilding?? If so is it something that needs to be sent to a shop or is a do it yourself kind of thing??
Old 04-05-2009, 01:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

Originally Posted by smoke20
Like my sig sates I have an STS car -- recently while driving started getting oil smoke out of tail pipe only when accelerating. Doesnt have to be WOT any acceleration that oil pressure increases. I changed the scavange pump out installed a .65 restrictor and still it smokes on acceleration. No smoke at idle or on start up. Could the turbo itself need rebuilding?? If so is it something that needs to be sent to a shop or is a do it yourself kind of thing??
The turbo seals might have gone, but I would do a compression test
Old 04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not engine related -- there is oil coming out of the turbo..
Old 04-05-2009, 02:08 PM
8 Second Club

pull the center section and look at the exhaust housing to see if there is oil present . Why you have it apart look to see if you have any in the pipe going up front from the compressor. I run no restrictor and 100 psi oil pressure. I dont think that the oil going to the turbo is an issue it is always the return . Can you get it to smoke just on reving it up . If so i would try to unhook the return and let it drain in a clean jug are pan and look and see the volume coming out and the pressure. rev it up see if the smoke changes . If i was to bet i say oil seals. but i would have to check it befor i sent it out. Why did you change pumps .
Old 04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I changed the pump due to the age and it started smoking while driving in town. I did note that the shaft on the turbo has some play you can move the exhaust wheel almost to the point of touching the housing.. this of course is without oil press.. the end play from exhaust to compressor seems ok very little play. Does anyone have any good recommendations on where to order the rebuild kit for the turbo. It wouldnt hurt to do it if Im gonna pull it anyway.

I did check the compressor side charge pipe and I dont see any oil??
Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think your going to be able to rebuild it yourself, most of the time as part of the "rebuild" process its my understanding that the turbo is rebalanced and the compressor and exhaust wheel can only be put on one way for them to remain in balance. As far as the oil goes I have some on both sides and a brand new turbo .. hoping I can solve the issue.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The relays or cutting in and out causing the pump to turn off and on. I just ditch them and ran a seprate 12v source with a single relay attach to a light and a switch. My pump is turn on manualy.

Quick Reply: Turbo Gurus -- Smoke on Accel