Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Will Higher octane fuel help with engine detantion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Higher octane fuel help with engine detantion

Hey guys just a quick question here if im running a STS turbo on my car plan on running higher boost but decide not to go with a Alcohol Injection Kit or a front mount intercooler can i use higher octane fuel to help with engine detantion???? If so how high of octane too keep engine from detantion?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

save yourself the trouble and just get a FMIC or a A2W your gonna need it later on so just wait until you do everything you need or recommended (referring to How much a turbo really cost sticky). You don't want to have to pay more than what it would have cost to just mount a IC or meth injection.

But what are your options for Octane?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Theoretically, yes. The higher the octane the more the fuel resist igniting, so higher octane will ignite later in the cycle compared to lower octane. That said, I would not recommend relying on higher octane fuel to compensate for lack of an intercooler/meth. injection. If you are running low boost pressures you might be able to get away with it, but again, I would not recommend it.

good luck,
-John
Old 04-13-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

get an intercooler. a turbo system with no IC is a half assed system that will perform like ***.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your not running alcohol as your main fuel why would you not run a IC or meth injection.

We would need your whole setup to give you a answer on what octane. But it will be in the range of the high price C12-C16 or 10-13 bucks a gal range plus your still going be low on power cause of high IAT
Old 04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c16 LIKES high IATs.....too cold and it wont vaporize...been there done that. If you want to spend the money for c16...put it in and rock...its hard to detonate

Quick Reply: Will Higher octane fuel help with engine detantion