Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help with my procharger build

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help with my procharger build

So now I've bought all the stuff getting the forged 408 built, the P1SC blower, mounting plate and all the 6 rib pullies, now I'm at the part where people talk about getting nickle and dimed to death. Gonna see if possibly you guys can help out with it.
I'm looking for a couple parts you guys may have upgraded from and even perhaps some info on what you may have done.

For one I'm looking for a fan shroud, evidently from researching on here, you cant use the stocker, and I dont have the procharger one nor did I even see it listed on EPPs site. Also, what are you guys doing as for cooling? I live in Oklahoma and it gets hot here. Have you all found any for sure method thats going to keep my car from overheating with the AC on?

Now I've bought the entire 6 rib set up but the more I read about it the more I think I am going to have problems spinning it without having belt slippage issues. Any of you guys upgrade to the cog kit and have their old 8 rib kit laying around? I'm also going to need a harmonic balancer for it too.

I'm also needing the crank pinning kit. I'd really rather not buy something new that I am going to use just once, I read somewhere that you can buy the dowl pins off summit for like 2 bucks a piece.

Thanks to all of your feedback, I did get the autometer 3 gauge pillar. Those ebay ones sure were alot cheaper, but according to you guys, they didnt look very good. Only thing that sucks about the autometer one is that HUGE oversized hole that fits over the defroster vent, well that and it cost 3 times more than the ebay units. Anyway, I'm needing to stuff some gauges in this baby. Anyone got the wideband A/F, fuel pressure and boost gauge that goes in this I can get off em?

I'm going to be needing a set of injectors, I plan on upgrading to a D1SC this winter so what are you guys using, 60lb injectors? Anyone got some for sale on the cheap? lol. While on the subject of fuel systems I think I need a fuel pressure regulator and a walbro 255 fuel pump so this thing gets plenty of fuel, I need to read those stickies again just to make sure but anyway, lemme know if ya got anything.

Well I think thats about it (doubtfull) I'm sure there is going to be alot more than this to get er up and running but I'm not sure of anything else I need right now. Also I want to thank all you guys here for posting your combos, how to get things running on the cheap, and just for the plain support you guys offer. Anyhow, Thanks so much, and if ya got any of those parts I was needin, just lemme know.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:23 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1043
Here is the ProCharger manual, so you can see where everything goes.

You don't need a fuel pressure regulator, just the Walbro fuel pump. Bob
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

epp has the fan shroud for $120 it is 2 pieces(talk to bob)

what are you doing about your bypass valve?

summit has a direct fit radiator for 200 bucks not sure what part number but do a search and you will find it,then get a 16 inch fan and a smaller pusher im using a 12 inch pusher

you will also need to go get a map sensor from the cobalt ss if you are going with a speed density tune

60lb. injectors will do,and then a good pump

im sure there are a few more things but thats all i can come up with right now
Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

I got a Vortech Mondo Bypass valve from someone on the corvette forum. Bought the flange for 20 bucks off summit now I will just need someone to weld it up. That will happen when the intercooler piping is welded up.

Is that pusher fan going to fit with a FMIC 4" thick intercooler in there? From what I read there is alot of problems just trying to keep this thing cool. Will I have to buy that radiator to keep things cool? I was reading that some people use the LT1 radiator because its a bit thicker, not sure of direct results from that mod though.

I plan on running a dual walbro setup. Curious in the meantime think I can run the walbro 255 on the promary and set up the stock one to kick in on the hobbs switch? I mean, just until I get the cash to get another walbro. Riight now I'm at the point in my build where everything is nickle and diming my *** to death.

Whats so special about a $120 shroud when you can get a dual fan setup from summit for about 200 bucks? Seems to me I'm looking at a $120 shroud, $100 16" fan to stick in there then another $100 for the other pusher fan, thats around $320. There ought to be a cheaper way around that.

Not sure what I am going to do about a tune for right now. I know a guy that will do a MAF tune for for right around $200 bucks and he does a good tune for N/A cars, not sure about boosted cars though.

Anyway Let me know, and again, thanks for all the info guys.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Ok just a little update, I just got off the phone with Bob @ EPP (Such a nice guy BTW) and He said that we can loosen up something on the bottom of the radiator mount and it will slide back about an inch and allow us to use the stock fan and shroud setup which would alleviate any cooling problems we have.

As far as the Walbro 255 and a stock fuel pump on the hobbs switch, he said that would be ok also, until I get the cash to buy another Walbro, but to just keep an eye on the fuel pressure so nothing gets screwed up inside the engine. What I was thinking about doing is have a dummy light wired in with the relay to alert me if the secondary fuel pump wasnt working.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Well I just bought a new Walbro 255 and an Intercooler setup with a 4"thick intercooler. still needing some other parts, if ya got some, lemme know
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres no way a stock fan shroud will fit in the bay with the stock radiator and condenser setup. Ive tried every way possible. If there were a way, PLEANTY of people would be doing it.. If you can somehow get that to work tho, POST PICS!!! because there is no proof anyone has done it thus far.

When you are done screwing around beating your head trying to get them to fit, PM me, I have my stock procharger fan shroud and it even has the hole cut for the extra 9" fan. I'll sell you the shroud for $50. I have an extra 9" fan too that fits thats practically brand new I'll throw in for another $25. You are local, so no shipping costs either. Lemme know man.. And good luck
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Damn sweet man, thats almost worth picking it up tonight to make sure I get it, lol
Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

nothing is special about the shroud,you will have a hard time fitting a dual fan without moving the radiator forward

yes you will more than likely have problems with overheating on the stock radiator

and yeah you better snag that fan setup from chad,i wish i would have known about it, i just bought one
Old 05-09-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Regarding cooling: Use the Procharger fan shroud and pick up a Spal paddle fan, part # 30102082. This fan flows 2500 cfm and is still ok for daily driven applications.

The second part I use, and I don't know if this is really needed, is the 05+ Corvette water pump (Same one used on the LS7 by GM) and so far I have had no cooling problems with the AC on constantly on my forged 383 in Texas.

For fuel pump I see you already purchased a 255, but honestly I wish I had done it right the first time myself, since I had to spend the money again when I put in the bigger motor. Lonnie's dual intankj pump kit even with using the stock lines is probably the best way to go.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ How is the 05 WP different? That is interesting.

ChevyChad, what cooling setup are you running with the F1? Pushers I assume?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
^ How is the 05 WP different? That is interesting.

I know the pump is lighter, but I do not know what the specifics are on the changes. I didn't put it on my car for better cooling, but figured I would note that I do have it as I don't know if it makes a difference or not.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Have a dual intercooler set up if you need. All hoses,clamps,pipes,IC's and aluminum plenum.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
I had to make a custom shroud. I was stupid and cut the stock procharger shroud for the extra 9" fan where it is shown on all the pictures for P1 and D1 chargers. It didnt even dawn on me that my F1 was physically bigger till I tried to install the procharger shroud with the 9" fan attached I cut the hole about 1/2" too low for it to fit with the F1.. So instead of butchering up the shroud I just bought a piece of aluminum and cut my own out. I am running both a 9" and a 16" puller. The stock 16" procharger fan motor crapped out on me last year, so it was replaced with a 16" 3000cfm Zirgo which I got for a pretty good price from summit. I also replaced the stock radiator with a griffin when I did all of that. I've only had it out once this year, but it ran very cool. I let it idle for 25 minutes and the temp fluctuated from 180 - 190 and I didnt even have the 9" fan kicked on either. I'm sure it will help tho once I get her back up and runnin and summer brings those 100+ degree days. My goal is to be able to actually use the A/C this summer lol
Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by B.Buster
Have a dual intercooler set up if you need. All hoses,clamps,pipes,IC's and aluminum plenum.
Hey man I appreciate it but I am going to go with a FMIC setup.

Quick Reply: Help with my procharger build