Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who runs with no intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have a look at a second hand A2W kit. the only costly bit would be the chargecooler its self. the rest can be 'pieced' together pretty cheap i would guess....

Chris.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
have a look at a second hand A2W kit. the only costly bit would be the chargecooler its self. the rest can be 'pieced' together pretty cheap i would guess....

Chris.
A2W are almost NEVER a cheaper option. You have a extra water tank, fittings/lines, the actual intercooler, and the bilge pump to move the water. Also more wiring for the pump. and typically more piping with a A2W as well.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Intercoolers are hardly essential .Run alc/meth and you will hardly miss one. For 1/4 mile use can't see them helping all that much either. For more sustained high boost situations like road racing silver state classic stuff then can see them being more useful and running higher boost levels. I will be using both in my cars though. Small shots of nitrous will also do a good job of cooling things, for 1/4 mile especially and talking spraying directly into the engine not into turbo or onto or into intercooler.

Air to water is a lot of unneeded plumbing and crap unless again you are doing a lot of high boost continuous road racing type of stuff. But hey whatever floats your boat. I guess maybe its cool to say you have air to water intercooler.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Air to water is a lot of unneeded plumbing and crap unless again you are doing a lot of high boost continuous road racing type of stuff. But hey whatever floats your boat. I guess maybe its cool to say you have air to water intercooler.

Yea, all those elite Turbo drag cars just felt the need to be cool to say they have A2W intercoolers. There is a bit more to it than just continuous racing. Saying an A2W is useless in a drag racing format is a bit....dangerous.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well talking cars making multithousand hp then ok would make more sense.
There are many cars like mine or similar running 8s with air to air and doing just fine and have seen a lot of very fast dms and other cars running 9s or 8s with alc/meth injection no intercooler.

But hey if you really think air to water is necessary with under 1000 engine hp 1/4 mile builds then feel free to put one in. But I wouldn't expect to see big power gains from it in most 1/4 mile racing. I am betting a small nitrous shot would be much more effective in 1/4 mile racing or running meth injection. I have agreed that for cars running sustained high boost like road race its nice to have a good intercooler. Addiing ice to air to water where you add ice of course isn't going to be very practical in road race applications and nitrous is much colder than ice so again would say its more effective.
Of course vortech and think magnacharger and several other supers run air to water intercoolers. But these supers are going to always be making some boost so they would need more continuous cooling. I can pretty much stay totally out of boost at lower rpms.

A local guy did just put air to water setup on his tt old dodge . Don't think he had any intercooler though before so harder to see what gains it will give him in the 1/4.

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 06-26-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Another run at the top.....
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this will fit behind your grill
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CXRac...ht_5618wt_1167
my friend has the same one in his 2nd gen s10
Old 01-31-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Yea, all those elite Turbo drag cars just felt the need to be cool to say they have A2W intercoolers. There is a bit more to it than just continuous racing. Saying an A2W is useless in a drag racing format is a bit....dangerous.
dangerous doesnt even cut it, its just flat out wrong.
A2W is for great for drag racing and pretty much terrible for anything were the car is going to be seeing any sustainable racing time without significant cool down periods.
the idea behind the A2W is to be able to get IAT's below ambient temp or as low as possible, but the downside with A2W is that its much slower to shed heat once it has been heated.

better tell those guys putting ice in their boxes that they are wasting thier time
Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much boost do you plan on running? keep it below 10 psi and you'll be fine.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 233 Likes on 164 Posts

i have run w/wo i/c's a few times
i did some testing once (these were suerchargers, not turbos)
on a gen one engine, 18 lbs boost, i saw 330 degs out of the supercharger,
190 after the i/c'er-i ran 93 octane and no sign of damage
i then tried a pass w/o the i/c hooked up, at the 1/8 the temp was up to 270 degs, so i terminated the pass
i had a 540 with an F2, ran it at 12 lbs boost, no i/c, intake temps were in the 140 range,(on the dyno) on the lowest power setting i could get it made over 730 RWHP, plugs looked good, but had a 50-50 mix of 93 and 110, but normally ran 93 on the street-i have only run carbs, so they cool a little better than FI, and all my temp readings were in the carb hat, so cooler yet under the carb
my current stroked LQ4 (stroker) with 11 lbs and a Procharger sheetmetal i/c
will see a little over 100 degs iat's on a mild to warm day, but have not ck'ed temps out of the supercharger, but it is doing it job-you can run w/o, use lots of fuel, good tune up, read the plugs-Steve Morris has made huge HP w/o i/c'ers
Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a big difference between no intercooler on a sc setup and no intercooler on a turbo setup. Remember the turbo runs off exhaust, very hot exhaust. The $150 it will cost you to put in a eBay intercooler will be worth every penny.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I am considering a single turbo setup in the future and thought I might run a meth/water injection setup like something than Snow Performance sells instead of running an intercooler.

Thoughts?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
I am considering a single turbo setup in the future and thought I might run a meth/water injection setup like something than Snow Performance sells instead of running an intercooler.

Thoughts?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11807952-post16.html
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
x2, A2W is actually more useless in continuous boosting road racing apps than it is in Drag Racing. In road racing that water will heat up quickly and be just as warm, if not warmer than the ambient air.

In Drag Racing though, they are very useful as you can pack them full of ice water and run in 90 degree heat, still pulling 65 degree intake temps

Quick Reply: Who runs with no intercooler?