Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to check the plugs.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok will try to get some logs for you guys. And think will have to order me some new plugs and will put them in. Current plugs are tr6ix gapped at think it was .028 or.030. And have maybe 2000 miles on them. Can take a pic of some of them. But now will likely go to colder heat range as these were my plugs for low boost.
I want to be able to go higher on boost although probably not with these current turbos and do eventually when everything is running right hit it with small shot of spray.
So not sure if should go to tr7ix or tr8ix. With spray think tr8ix without tr7ix should be ok I think. Aps also recommended the irdiums in their manual. I have used iridiums in my talons a lot. No complaints. Not platinum plugs though. I realize most like the cheap copper ngk but this car is not that easy to change plugs on . As said think the back couple are not going to be fun at all and put them in when did the motor and it was out of the car.

I am still going to wait a day or two for few people to look at my logs and tune. As if it is something in there then would leave the plugs which are almost brand new and change them out over winter when change out to the upgraded turbos from likely LG.

Please feel free to look over my tune and see if there is anything that jumps out.

This thing still seems to do this any rpm and any gear when you go wot boost or not.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Checking on availability of plugs today as well. I have heard you can go a heat range or two colder with the iridiums so think maybe just get tr8ix and they should do whatever I run for boost or small shots. Boost not likely ever go past 15psi depending on the turbos in there of course and spray likely 75 to 125 shot max.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Ok never did this before..hope it works..Its in 2.22 format now not 2.23.I redid it a bit.
Looks like the ve table ramps up way too fast and set your PE to the same as BE.

You need to have the "ses enable" checked for 101.102 and 103

Have you done any logging with this setup to build the VE table?

Anyway, as most others have said it sounds to me like your misfire problem is due to plugs/wires.

I've seen plenty of melted plug wires on APS cars and changing the plugs is rather easy IMO. Start by checking the plugs/wires then properly tune the VE table.

To start with anything else will be a waste of time.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by intmd8
looks like the ve table ramps up way too fast and set your pe to the same as be.

Ok just put in the table from stock ve or mabye it was from a 2001
since my 99 original got deleted accidentally. I did it from instructions on hptuners and raised it 10% on top line not 25% like they did .
Why do i want the pe and be to be same? I thought the purpose of having two tables was so you could be leaner when not in boost for best off boost power? I thought be table overrides pe as soon as you go into boost?
You need to have the "ses enable" checked for 101.102 and 103
i thought you get ses light if you check this .i am pretty sure seen lots of speed density tunes on hptuners with this unchecked? Are you 100% sure on this. If true my car is not running on speed density that could be huge issue?

Have you done any logging with this setup to build the ve table?
No logging yet to build ve table.

Anyway, as most others have said it sounds to me like your misfire problem is due to plugs/wires.

I've seen plenty of melted plug wires on aps cars and changing the plugs is rather easy imo. Start by checking the plugs/wires then properly tune the ve table.

Ok i did burn an accel wire the granatelli have much better heat protection although are pricey. So since going to the lg upgrades likely mabye in next few months and want to run small shot of spray do you think the tr8ix would be ok choice and what for gap..
.028 or a bit less? Don't want to keep constantly swapping in plugs.i have read you can run colder iridiums and not foul in normal street driving.

To start with anything else will be a waste of time.
ok thanks for the tips.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Here are some logs first one shows the problem at 100% and looks like one bank passenger side goes lean when its at boost so that would point to a misfire on that side??

Also though on second log a bit diffferent why does my car go to open loop on highway not in boost at such low throttle position? Is it supposed to go to open loop when barely into the throttle?
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
problem.hpl (72.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: hpl
richnoboostnowot.hpl (120.9 KB, 570 views)

Quick Reply: Boost leak symptoms and speed density.