Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Where's the oil coming from?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where's the oil coming from?

My Incon kit has been great but if the car sits too long the passenger side turbo floods with oil. It has a check valve (parker C200S) on the oil feed block next to the oil filter that seems to operating. Do I need another at the turbo? what about the return? Should there be a check valve there as well? I think there's one close to the scavenge pump but maybe I need one at the turbo.. Whatever I need to do I gotta get this fixed. I'm getting tired of smoking out the neighborhood, lol.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a chance that the turbo is passing and burning oil the whole time just in such small amounts you dont really see it when driving after it is warmed up, but after it sits the oil burns off all at once thats left in the houseing leaving the blue smoke?

Is it pushing oil into the intake pipe?

You can move your check valve to just before the turbo rather than at the feed, this will eliminate whatever oil is left in the feed line flowing into the turbo, and see if that helps, but there should be no need for 2.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled the exhaust and let it burn off. After that I can't smell any oil. If I drive it every day then there's no noticeable problem. It's only when it sits that there's a problem. What are the chances the oil is coming back through the drain? the turbo nearly sits on the ground. It's well below the oil level. I think the scavenge pump sits a little higher...

Gonna have to check the cold side to be sure but I think there's oil there too...
Old 07-16-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in debate about that as well, My return pump was mounted higher than the turbo and i thought the oil was back flowing from the pump into the turbo, so I put a check valve on both sides .. and it fixed the problem of it filling up, idk which one did the trick, but I was told (See my thread) that you do NOT need a valve in the return side as the pump should create a vaccum when it cuts off and not allow oil to flow back.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what check valve do you use on the return???? I was thinking about fabbing up a reservoir tank like they came with originally but everything's already so low to the ground I'd like to avoid that...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well bud, thanks for the help. I replaced the check valve with the mcmaster part and the oil is gone so far. I still can't believe the check valve on the return thing but I'll will say I heard it on ls1tech!

Search this Thread