Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trying to keep stock fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trying to keep stock fans

I am looking into this radiator (GRI-1-25241-XS) to use in my single front mount truck manifold build. I will be running a t-76 and using a turbo blanket to help protect the fans.
It has the same length and height as the typical griffin everyone is using, but is 2" thick instead of 3". I want to keep the stock fans and figured if the stock 1" radiator was good enough, the 2" griffin should do just fine and give me a little extra room as well. The car is a weekend cruiser and track car.

Did a search but couldn't find anyone that has used this one.....any thoughts?

Thanks, James
Old 08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see why it wouldnt work.

I think keeping the stock fans and shroud is among the best things you can try to do to keep temps under control. The stock fans and shroud move LOTS of air and its a nice reliable set-up.

I managed to move my stock radiator and fans both forward to fit my T70...I will report temps once my build is complete.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have pics of your setup? I tried moving my stock radiator forward, but it was too tall. I would have to cut the lower support to drop it down....which i guess I could do, but it would mess up the lower air dam mounting.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dr. Jeckel
Do you have pics of your setup? I tried moving my stock radiator forward, but it was too tall. I would have to cut the lower support to drop it down....which i guess I could do, but it would mess up the lower air dam mounting.
I dont have any pics of it right this second...Here is what I did though.

I of course cut out a section of the upper radiator support, and then I completely removed the lower support and made my own lower support that is slighly lower, and farther forward...The air damn now bolts to my new lower support and air flows up and in.... I dont have a turbo in place yet, but I think there is plenty of room, and I have had the car in stop and go 90+ weather and it runs as cool as it ever did! Ill take a couple pics and post them up in a couple minutes for you...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No need for pics, you answered my question. I was wondering if you removed the lower support and you did. I don't think I wanna go through that much trouble....I'll just get the Griffin and be done with it.

Thanks again, James.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Cool. Good luck.

I liked the idea of using what I already had...and it wasnt too bad fabricating my own lower, but its not for everyone. I figured if I wasn't afraid to chop into my upper support why worry about the lower

Quick Reply: Trying to keep stock fans