Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Calling out APS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peter@aps
No plans for producing any turbo systems for the new camaro.

Cheers,

Peter
Really? Is APS planning on closing it's doors? I can't really imagine a bigger market for APS than the New Camaro. Hell, there is still a decent sized market for the 98-02 F-Bodys and they ceased production 7 years ago.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
Really? Is APS planning on closing it's doors? I can't really imagine a bigger market for APS than the New Camaro. Hell, there is still a decent sized market for the 98-02 F-Bodys and they ceased production 7 years ago.
No, just too busy to produce turbo systems (we do produce a lot of other parts) which have no real profit or volume sales.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 PM

No plans for producing any turbo systems for the new camaro.

Cheers,

Peter
Peter, for once just be straight up and tell us what's up with the turbos that come with the kits. Are these knock-offs? Give us some real info that we can use to save time and money.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jamar320
Peter, for once just be straight up and tell us what's up with the turbos that come with the kits. Are these knock-offs? Give us some real info that we can use to save time and money.
I've never seen one of the damaged turbos in the flesh so I can't diaganose what I have not seen. I'd guess it would be a thrust bearing failure which can cause horrible damage to the rotating group........best guess only.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM

I've never seen one of the damaged turbos in the flesh so I can't diaganose what I have not seen. I'd guess it would be a thrust bearing failure which can cause horrible damage to the rotating group........best guess only.

Cheers,

Peter
I have 2 of them. Is it possible i could send one to APS to be examine, maybe even be fixed, if not for free, but for a great price. I hope im not coming off as a dick, i just want to find a solution to the problem.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jamar320
I have 2 of them. Is it possible i could send one to APS to be examine, maybe even be fixed, if not for free, but for a great price. I hope im not coming off as a dick, i just want to find a solution to the problem.
I'd send both and let me look at them first hand and then I will see what I can do for you. The freight would have to be at your own cost.

Cheers,

Peter
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM

I'd send both and let me look at them first hand and then I will see what I can do for you. The freight would have to be at your own cost.

Cheers,

Peter
Any special instructions i need to add, like c/o peter. Whatever happens i would like to get them back, unless youre replacing them. As soon as i can i'll look into the cost of shipping and we shall go from there. I'll PM you to let you know what I'm doing.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Couple questions for you all. First,how about someone taking a set of manifolds down to a local foundry and having some made here ? It seems obvious at least to me that APS has no interest in continuing to produce or support the F-body kits. It also seems like they have no interest in supporting the multitude of issues you have had with these kits.All of this could be addressed with decent quality turbos,upgraded inlets and some revisions to piping/routing as well as decent BOVs. The issue really,is who is going to bite the bullet and spend some coin in the hopes of getting it back from F-body(and/or) GTO owners as well. Its too bad too,as the kits produce decent power,look great and have a reasonable price.Adding good quality turbos as well as various other upgrades will add $$$ to the kit,which may price it out of alot of potential buyers reach.You boys can do what you want,it seems as though APS has moved on. Interesting that they have discontinued support/new kits but are not willing/interested in selling the molds/jigs for the kits ? "Cheers"
Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow i left for a few hours and this thread blew up. sounds very cowardly on the side APS. im sorry i ever considered them for a future build.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by highpockets
Couple questions for you all. First,how about someone taking a set of manifolds down to a local foundry and having some made here ? It seems obvious at least to me that APS has no interest in continuing to produce or support the F-body kits. It also seems like they have no interest in supporting the multitude of issues you have had with these kits.All of this could be addressed with decent quality turbos,upgraded inlets and some revisions to piping/routing as well as decent BOVs. The issue really,is who is going to bite the bullet and spend some coin in the hopes of getting it back from F-body(and/or) GTO owners as well. Its too bad too,as the kits produce decent power,look great and have a reasonable price.Adding good quality turbos as well as various other upgrades will add $$$ to the kit,which may price it out of alot of potential buyers reach.You boys can do what you want,it seems as though APS has moved on. Interesting that they have discontinued support/new kits but are not willing/interested in selling the molds/jigs for the kits ? "Cheers"
If I could get ahold of a pair of APS manifolds and the APS intercooler I could make one badass TT kit.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by highpockets
Well I am I guess pretty pro APS. Have talked to Peter many times and he has offered to have me send back my dud that was internally cracked but just took off the water cooling and soldiered on with it didn't want to put my car down. I found some ebay centers to use for back up for pretty reasonable ,not sure on their quality but one guy on board low bird is running them so far so good. I plan on the LG upgrades over winter.
\
I think many don't have faith in aps to fix the duds or if they are in fact even genuine mits turbos. I have to doubt they are as I have personally been running mits turbos for years in my talons and they are normally super super reliable. I have seen them go well over 100,000 miles some near 200,000 miles and still boosting.

That was one reason I jumped on this kit..their bulletproof mits 20gs.Not it seems they knowingly or unknowingly and Peter you aren't saying nothing bought or got stuck with knock offs.

Fortunately the aps exhaust housings are unique to the f body but the centers and compressor housing are plain old 20gs so you can always get replacements for these aps turbos.

I am more worried now that my exhaust manifolds might crack up. That would be much harder to fix/ replace although those chinese ones do seem like they right ones to me.

Really what else it there in the kit. Intercooler, some piping.
I upgraded my blow offs to turbosmart supersonics. Unrecirced they sound great. The bosch aps were ok. They are installed on new saabs and think other cars.

I stented my own inlet tubes for like 30 bucks of 3 inch oval exhaust tubing.
I will fix the sway bar hitting problem with some cheap spacers and shorten my endlink. My car is not lowered so don't need much there.

My car runs a bit hot with the air on in hot weather like over 90 degrees but will put in better rad and high flo water pump. Most turbo kits will need upgrading over stock cooling system that was mentioned in the manual.

I went thru losing 2000 bucks to another sponsor on this site..GMR speed.
Got nothing..zip ,nada.APS shipped and shipped ahead of schedule.The kit was pretty cheap but not as great a deal if the turbos die prematurely obviously. Still with LG upgrades its not going to cost much more than most twin turbo systems offered for our cars. And what twin turbo kits are offered. Thats the problem. And what kits keep air?. What kits keep good access to plugs, other things on the engine?

I like my kit. Currently its still rocking at 8psi which is still fast as frak with my built 408. I have about 3000 miles on it which isn't a lot but don't drive it everyday. I like to stay out of Jail!

I have seen a lot of turbo companies on this forum burn completely people.They got nothing. Zip.the list is long. Small companies are very dangerous. They can go in a flash. Bigger companies generally stick around.

ATI has not always had the best quality their early stuff was pretty crappy. Belt slippage,head unit failures,etc. STS earlier kits are hardly perfect,ground clearance,scavenger pump issues,etc. And most homemade kits have their weaknesses..no air, no name knock off turbos or blow offs or wastegates..
I do hope my aps tials are genuine. So far they seem to be working great.
It is regrettable that APS has not publicly apologized or checked into the apparent knock off problem on the f body kits. I wish someolne would speak out,run the numbers on the aps f body turbos and say for sure if they are in fact genuine mits. I am still wondering why there are not lots of gto or vette guys running supposedly the same turbos also screaming on their forums.
Maybe just the f body kits were sourced with knock offs.

Peter you are a great politician but not that great at customer relations. You unfortunately slide sideways on just about every question you have ever had put to you. I am used to this and in a way its sort of humorous but really sometimes you should just answer the damn question!

So what is the truth? You should know where you sourced the f body turbos. Your silence pretty much is telling us that they are knock offs bought knowingly to increase profits. They should not be failing at the rates they are if they are real article.

Anyway this thing gives me a big headache. I am still happy I have my kit .I don't have the fab skills to do my own and don't trust most small companies at all after being burned repeatedly by little guys in the past. You did ship me a kit and it did have some quality parts and great instructions and went into the car pretty darn nicely. Although it was a very long and intensive install.

I hope the only problems left with my kit are the turbos being unreliable. I hope my exhaust manifolds last me years .Not much else in the kit to worry about. I will likely be replacing the clamps with t bolts and possibly some of the silicone couplers with higher quality ones as well.

I realize aps is not overly worried about losing our small slice of the market and realistically they do have bigger market in the import areas I would think.

Still the new camaro ,new corvette ,new challenger, new mustang all these people are potential customers for a good turbo kit.

Someone will fill the void and hopefully they will be reliable . People always want things for cheap and don't want to pay the price for top qualty. Ebay is full of kits appealing to these guys. You can put together a decent ebay setup but you have to buy quality not knock off crap.

I am disappointed in your customer relations skills Peter.I think you should be in a different department ,maybe just sales. I am doubtful that would buy another APS kit in the future because of the sliding sideways on answering direct questions. And really am getting sick of modding up my cars so likely just be getting a c7 z06 or whatever and leaving it bonestock.

I might even get a mercedes twin turbo v12 or something in the future and again leave it bone stock. At least the factory stuff has warranty to fall back on.

Also its not easy to get things fixed when the company you are dealing with is 10,000 or whatever miles away. Dealing with US or Canadian companies makes more sense sometimes but again have been burnt good by some local ones.

Sometimes guy just can't win.

I hope Aps at least keeps a few replacement parts around for the f body guys to buy in case have accident with car or something breaks like manifoldor they need an intake hose or something pretty much custom made for the kit.

I don't think some f body guys being mad at you is going to make or break your company but it can't be a good thing. I suggest strongly in the future that if you are trying to cut corners with knock off turbos you are digging your own grave.

And I strongly suggest that you hire a smoking hot big hootered Australian babe to handle customer complaints and questions. At least then we wouldn't mind so much if she danced around on the issues perferably on live webcam and preferrably naked.

SERIOUSLY I HAVE TO ASK IT. ARE OUR F BODY TURBOS GENUINE MITS OR KNOCK OFFS? A SIMPLE YES OR NO IS THE PROPER ANSWER.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well I am I guess pretty pro APS. Have talked to Peter many times and he has offered to have me send back my dud that was internally cracked but just took off the water cooling and soldiered on with it didn't want to put my car down. I found some ebay centers to use for back up for pretty reasonable ,not sure on their quality but one guy on board low bird is running them so far so good. I plan on the LG upgrades over winter.
\
I think many don't have faith in aps to fix the duds or if they are in fact even genuine mits turbos. I have to doubt they are as I have personally been running mits turbos for years in my talons and they are normally super super reliable. I have seen them go well over 100,000 miles some near 200,000 miles and still boosting.

That was one reason I jumped on this kit..their bulletproof mits 20gs.Not it seems they knowingly or unknowingly and Peter you aren't saying nothing bought or got stuck with knock offs.

Fortunately the aps exhaust housings are unique to the f body but the centers and compressor housing are plain old 20gs so you can always get replacements for these aps turbos.

I am more worried now that my exhaust manifolds might crack up. That would be much harder to fix/ replace although those chinese ones do seem like they right ones to me.

Really what else it there in the kit. Intercooler, some piping.
I upgraded my blow offs to turbosmart supersonics. Unrecirced they sound great. The bosch aps were ok. They are installed on new saabs and think other cars.

I stented my own inlet tubes for like 30 bucks of 3 inch oval exhaust tubing.
I will fix the sway bar hitting problem with some cheap spacers and shorten my endlink. My car is not lowered so don't need much there.

My car runs a bit hot with the air on in hot weather like over 90 degrees but will put in better rad and high flo water pump. Most turbo kits will need upgrading over stock cooling system that was mentioned in the manual.

I went thru losing 2000 bucks to another sponsor on this site..GMR speed.
Got nothing..zip ,nada.APS shipped and shipped ahead of schedule.The kit was pretty cheap but not as great a deal if the turbos die prematurely obviously. Still with LG upgrades its not going to cost much more than most twin turbo systems offered for our cars. And what twin turbo kits are offered. Thats the problem. And what kits keep air?. What kits keep good access to plugs, other things on the engine?

I like my kit. Currently its still rocking at 8psi which is still fast as frak with my built 408. I have about 3000 miles on it which isn't a lot but don't drive it everyday. I like to stay out of Jail!

I have seen a lot of turbo companies on this forum burn completely people.They got nothing. Zip.the list is long. Small companies are very dangerous. They can go in a flash. Bigger companies generally stick around.

ATI has not always had the best quality their early stuff was pretty crappy. Belt slippage,head unit failures,etc. STS earlier kits are hardly perfect,ground clearance,scavenger pump issues,etc. And most homemade kits have their weaknesses..no air, no name knock off turbos or blow offs or wastegates..
I do hope my aps tials are genuine. So far they seem to be working great.
It is regrettable that APS has not publicly apologized or checked into the apparent knock off problem on the f body kits. I wish someolne would speak out,run the numbers on the aps f body turbos and say for sure if they are in fact genuine mits. I am still wondering why there are not lots of gto or vette guys running supposedly the same turbos also screaming on their forums.
Maybe just the f body kits were sourced with knock offs.

Peter you are a great politician but not that great at customer relations. You unfortunately slide sideways on just about every question you have ever had put to you. I am used to this and in a way its sort of humorous but really sometimes you should just answer the damn question!

So what is the truth? You should know where you sourced the f body turbos. Your silence pretty much is telling us that they are knock offs bought knowingly to increase profits. They should not be failing at the rates they are if they are real article.

Anyway this thing gives me a big headache. I am still happy I have my kit .I don't have the fab skills to do my own and don't trust most small companies at all after being burned repeatedly by little guys in the past. You did ship me a kit and it did have some quality parts and great instructions and went into the car pretty darn nicely. Although it was a very long and intensive install.

I hope the only problems left with my kit are the turbos being unreliable. I hope my exhaust manifolds last me years .Not much else in the kit to worry about. I will likely be replacing the clamps with t bolts and possibly some of the silicone couplers with higher quality ones as well.

I realize aps is not overly worried about losing our small slice of the market and realistically they do have bigger market in the import areas I would think.

Still the new camaro ,new corvette ,new challenger, new mustang all these people are potential customers for a good turbo kit.

Someone will fill the void and hopefully they will be reliable . People always want things for cheap and don't want to pay the price for top qualty. Ebay is full of kits appealing to these guys. You can put together a decent ebay setup but you have to buy quality not knock off crap.

I am disappointed in your customer relations skills Peter.I think you should be in a different department ,maybe just sales. I am doubtful that would buy another APS kit in the future because of the sliding sideways on answering direct questions. And really am getting sick of modding up my cars so likely just be getting a c7 z06 or whatever and leaving it bonestock.

I might even get a mercedes twin turbo v12 or something in the future and again leave it bone stock. At least the factory stuff has warranty to fall back on.

Also its not easy to get things fixed when the company you are dealing with is 10,000 or whatever miles away. Dealing with US or Canadian companies makes more sense sometimes but again have been burnt good by some local ones.

Sometimes guy just can't win.

I hope Aps at least keeps a few replacement parts around for the f body guys to buy in case have accident with car or something breaks like manifoldor they need an intake hose or something pretty much custom made for the kit.

I don't think some f body guys being mad at you is going to make or break your company but it can't be a good thing. I suggest strongly in the future that if you are trying to cut corners with knock off turbos you are digging your own grave.

And I strongly suggest that you hire a smoking hot big hootered Australian babe to handle customer complaints and questions. At least then we wouldn't mind so much if she danced around on the issues perferably on live webcam and preferrably naked.

SERIOUSLY I HAVE TO ASK IT. ARE OUR F BODY TURBOS GENUINE MITS OR KNOCK OFFS? A SIMPLE YES OR NO IS THE PROPER ANSWER.
Get a clue bro Peter doesn't even have to say it. THEY ARE KNOCKOFFS. It has been proven time and time again here on the boards. Especially all the time you spend on here. ******* water passages that are almost completely obstructed tells me they are knockoffs. Peter will never admit it.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

no he wont admit it at all. im sure maybe for legal reasons. has anyone tried something like that yet? i would contact a lawyer and see what they say. some of these people are out of a lot of money. it is sad though that he has to ignor every question asked and will only answer simple questions that have nothing to do with the main reason. they are gone and need to be removed from the sponsor list and banned
Old 08-19-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe peter can comment further on this but I wouldn't be surprised if the chinese manifolds you found are in fact the exact ones that APS uses. It wouldn't be uncommon/bad practice in industry to have a part manufactured overseas. The pricepoint vs. quality is tough to beat sad as it may be.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone sent in one of those Mitshubishi turbos to the manufacturor to verify if they are indeed Mitchubishi turbos or knock offs.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must be joking.....every person who purshased a system at least had the system delivered.......more than I can say about a lot of US turbo companies.
Great standard to try to live up to.. You surpassed it, just not by much..
Old 08-20-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

What do you mean by not supporting the F body kit anymore?
Has APS ever?

You must be joking.....every person who purshased a system at least had the system delivered.......more than I can say about a lot of US turbo companies.
Well that makes it ok then. The system was delivered. Way to go the extra mile on that one.

Cheers,

Peter

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
If I could get ahold of a pair of APS manifolds and the APS intercooler I could make one badass TT kit.
I'd like to get a set of manifolds and the intercooler and take it to Josh at KYTP. I bet the sway bars wouldn't even hit.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Well that makes it ok then. The system was delivered. Way to go the extra mile on that one.
Well it's far superior service when you compare that to the US comapanies who took the money for a turbo kit and then delivered ZIP.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

Well it's far superior service when you compare that to the US comapanies who took the money for a turbo kit and then delivered ZIP.
I have stayed out of this up to this point.

Peter call it where it is with your above quote. You generalize the **** out of that comment. I for one have never sold sub par turbo or shafted a customer. That would make me far superior to APS. I happen to be a US company. If you are pointing out one company in general make it known...

Otherwise, lay it on the table. Fix your issues. Man up and take the hit. Quit dodging the bullet. Freight is the costs of the buyer... That is a load of BS being you sold them the setup...
Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Peter,

Will APS keep replacement parts for the F-Body Kit in stock incase something happens to break? (Manifold, Hot/Cold side Pipes, Intercooler, etc...)

Thanks

Quick Reply: Calling out APS