Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Check your meth nozzles!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check your meth nozzles!

Recently I had to dump my methanol tank (My WW fluid reservoir) to install some new pusher fans...

Since I had to remove the meth lines, I thought I would inspect things thoroughly.

I ran water through all the lines... Fine.

I checked the nozzle at the WW tank... looked a bit dirty... Hmmm... Soaked in some degreaser and it was fine.

I checked the nozzle that sprays into my charge pipe...

DAMN...

It looked so dirty...

I took it off and and rigged it to my water hose... It sprayed in an odd mist, half one way in mist and the other way dripping... WTF.

I took apart the back end... Snow meth nozzles have a filter screen end connected to the main nozzle piece pushing a spring that pushes a small router with four cuts at the metal tip, to direct the flow, that is pushed against the small hole tightly.

The screen had some brown debris... I have no idea WTF it was.

the metal tip at the end of the spring had the cuts filled with the same...

After cleaning it all out, I put the nozzle back together and tested it again with the water hose... Full mist spraying all around now... Surely, I was not spraying my full shot of meth before.

FYI, the car is a weekend car... Rarely gets driven... Maybe 8k miles since I had checked the nozzle.

Plus, I only use VP Racing M1 Methanol mixed only with pure, distilled water.

I was wondering a few things: Have some of you guys had the same experience? How often do you guys check your nozzles?

And some advice... Check your methanol spray nozzles!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Never checked mine. How did you "rig" it to your hose to check it?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ninetres
Interesting. Never checked mine. How did you "rig" it to your hose to check it?
My garden hose has a spray handle that lets you select a "power wash" feature... The water comes out hard out of a hole so tiny that I can place one meth line end over it and it's a pretty good fit...

I was too lazy to do it by giving the meth pump some power, plus all the lines and nozzles were out of the car so it was an easy test.

I was shocked to see how it sprayed at first, and then later I obviously knew why...

To be honest, the tip that's pushed by the spring, the "atomizer" that mists the spray, sprayed fine after cleaning it, but it was still discolored... I wonder if there's corrosion occurring?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that I think about it Last time I had my intake tube dis-connected from the TB and intercooler I tested my alkycontrol kit and both nozzles seemed to spray a fine mist....actually more like 2 small hurricanes lol.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

I use a devils own kit and M1 mixed with washer fluid and have found junk in my nozzle. I clean the screen every couple of months. I think I have found pieces of my first check valve in it once, but also get some light colored corrosion chunks from time to time.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by turningfast
I use a devils own kit and M1 mixed with washer fluid and have found junk in my nozzle. I clean the screen every couple of months. I think I have found pieces of my first check valve in it once, but also get some light colored corrosion chunks from time to time.
Yeah... I wonder WTF that is...
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ninetres
Now that I think about it Last time I had my intake tube dis-connected from the TB and intercooler I tested my alkycontrol kit and both nozzles seemed to spray a fine mist....actually more like 2 small hurricanes lol.
Ah... Cool... It's good to make sure once in a while.

Quick Reply: Check your meth nozzles!