Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil in charge side of turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil in charge side of turbo?

Replaced pump, check valve, drain line etc. today, Run engine for a couple minutes and realized pump was ON but running backwards. Changed wiring and buzzer quit, pump running correct direction now and thought all was well.

I drove car for several miles as to burn oil that was forced into the HOT side and thought that smoking would soon stop. Well after approx. 20 miles I still was realizing smoke and just as noticeable as when it first appeared. Checked oil level in engine and found still full. I have no visual oil leaking out exhaust as in past experience with bad pump. Further, past problem with old pump allowed me to drive several miles and finally burn oil out of exhaust system completely.

Smoke will appear while decelerating as much as accelerating.
What are the symptoms of oil in the pressure (cold / charge) side of turbo?
Will I have to totally clean cold side charge pipe or will it burn away or slowly be removed by the intake charge?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take down the cold sde and get to work with some break clean. I would also clean the exhaust side of the turbo as well. That has happen to me and you would be suprised how it will affect your inter cooler. What kind of return pump are you running? I know you can damage the pump by havin it fight with the greater pressure from the turbo it may have weakend it some.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

^^ What he said
Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Teching In

The new return pump is STS new design (wiring is internally sealed) directly from STS and was only run backwards a few minutes at idle or no boost condition. This happened while I was out of town. My mechanic said he heard the warning buzzer and did see some oil leaking from the exhaust weep hole in the down pipe from turbo before he reversed the wiring connections. After changing connections the oil stopped leaking as did the warning buzzer.

I know that the oil in the HOT side will smoke at least until it has burned off.
Done that been there! BUT
I also would think the cold side (charge) without the input of exhaust heat would not be hot enough to burn the standing oil. My mechanics won’t be back in until Monday to remove and check the cold side tubing. I was just trying to understand what may be wrong with the install or what else they may have not performed or missed wired that would cause this.
Will oil in the intake tract, charge side make engine smoke?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

doesnt matter if u were at idle or boosting lol.. u had oil pouring outta the turbo

if u have oil in the charge pipe it could b reaching the engine.. and in that case causing some smoke.. or seals bad and its leaking a little now outta the turbo.. ull only know when ur mechanic checks it.. or u unbolt the charge pipe and clean it up
Old 08-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

My original drain hose from turbo to pump was rubber and appears to be larger in diameter than the new braided hose. Although this is what was sent from STS, could this smaller in inside dimension be responsible for the smoking exhaust. It appears to be the same as the oil feed line into the turbo.

While driving, engine running or after you stop and set indefinitely without engine running you will NOT see any oil running out of my tail pipe weep hole.

Apparently the pump is working sufficiently to keep it from filling the exhaust but not sufficient to keep from smoking.
What is the effect on engine if the check valve is installed backwards?

I will say again everything was and has been working perfect for well over a year prior to the replacement pump install Friday.

Quick Reply: Oil in charge side of turbo?