Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Cam Basics...

Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo Cam Basics...

Could someone please lay out the most important characteristics to look for in a TURBO specific cam profile? Seems to be alot of voodoo around picking a Turbo cam, so what are the undisputed facts (if there are any)...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

All of it is disputed
It seems VERY important to be honest with yourself and the cam manufactuer on your intent with the car as well as the rest of the 'system'. The system being, gears, transmission(Auto with what stall TC, etc), compression ratio, desired top RPM, fuel system, fuel type, Meth/Alky/Water injected/Race fuel/etc, car weight, displacement. Then HP goals, driving style, on and on.
The stock cam will work great with a turbo. The way you go wrong is too much overlap.
Some guys seem to run what is considered the 'wrong turbo cam' with great success but they appear to be more track oriented cars that spend most of their time at max RPM.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I always say what works great for a NA setup will work great with a turbo. i.e. good heads, intake manifold, exhaust cam.........goes on and on. You also have to look at the setup and see where the short falls are. Is the exhaust side a little small? Is the exhaust side designed well? DP big enough?

The person who knows the most and will spec the best cam may be the one who picked the wrong one the most times.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the cam that is in the motor I have waiting to go in is an MS4... So... Im sure I should change that prior to install... Just not sure what key items to be looking for in a Turbo cam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Cam Basics...