Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supporting mods for 91mm turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Supporting mods for 91mm turbo

I have a 402 9.2:1 CR with plans to put a GT91 turbo on it. I am of course on a budget, it's a full street car shooting for 800rwhp on pump gas and a safe tune (eventually turn it up to 1000rwhp in race mode). I'm getting a 6.0 truck manifold built but need to send a few things to my builder so he can mock the kit up on his camaro. Here is a list of the parts I want to get, please let me know if it's acceptable, keep in mind this is a street car, not raced out.
GT91 T6 turbo
NGS 50mm wastegate
A2A intercooler core size 27x12x4 (on eBay suppsedly good to 1000hp)
dual turbosmart XS rfl BOVs (don't think one will be enough)
dual walbro/racetronix intank pumps (mightmouse style)
Spohn solid motor/trans mounts to fit 4" downpipe thru stock k-member
Low imp 93# injectors
3 bar map sensor
dyno tuned for approx 15 psi

Does this look ok? I know it's not the best if parts, but it's just a fun little street car, I need to save money for a house. The car already has the 402, stage 4+ T56, moser 9" and full suspension, just need the turbo and supporting mods. Please let me know so I can start buying the parts to get this car going, thank you very much!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red91vette
I have a 402 9.2:1 CR with plans to put a GT91 turbo on it. I am of course on a budget, it's a full street car shooting for 800rwhp on pump gas and a safe tune (eventually turn it up to 1000rwhp in race mode). I'm getting a 6.0 truck manifold built but need to send a few things to my builder so he can mock the kit up on his camaro. Here is a list of the parts I want to get, please let me know if it's acceptable, keep in mind this is a street car, not raced out.
GT91 T6 turbo
NGS 50mm wastegate
A2A intercooler core size 27x12x4 (on eBay suppsedly good to 1000hp)
dual turbosmart XS rfl BOVs (don't think one will be enough)
dual walbro/racetronix intank pumps (mightmouse style)
Spohn solid motor/trans mounts to fit 4" downpipe thru stock k-member
Low imp 93# injectors
3 bar map sensor
dyno tuned for approx 15 psi

Does this look ok? I know it's not the best if parts, but it's just a fun little street car, I need to save money for a house. The car already has the 402, stage 4+ T56, moser 9" and full suspension, just need the turbo and supporting mods. Please let me know so I can start buying the parts to get this car going, thank you very much!
You will need an injector driver box for the low impedance injectors. The ebay intercooler is definately not good for 1000rwhp..but if you have enough octance it will be fine. I dont think I have ever heard of NGS brand gates. Goodluck with the build, what clutch are you running?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think he means JGS not NGS, sounds like a decent build but yes you need a injector driver box. I think you will hit 800 at less than 15 lbs with high octane and the right tune. Might want to pick up some high flow fuel rails, stock feed and return have been proven to almost 1000rwhp.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most important supporting mod is having the ***** to hit full throttle

Good luck man and the two replies above have what you need.
Keep us posted.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

good luck with the build
Old 10-30-2009, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the replies. Yes I meant JGS, sorry I'm on my phone. I have nasty fuel rails already and would get the box with the injectors, sorry I thought that was a given. I heard stock lines can make 1000hp but I'd rather not risk it even though I'm on a budget. So the intercooler won't work? I don't want to run any meth or race gas and hit 800rwhp on a street tune, since that's what the car will be. Someday I'll turn up the boost and add meth just to hit 1000rwhp ince to say I did it, otherwise it'll be on street mode 100% of the time. So will the eBay IC be good then? What would everyone suggest? Oh and I'll be able to hit the throttle! 470rwhp is boring! (what I put down NA). Thanks everyone!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM
FormerVendor

Just spray a little meth and you will be ok with that intercooler. We are builing a 370 t88 ss with a ebay intercooler. Havent had any problems with them.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

why not get a single large Tial BOV instead of two turbosmarts?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

How much is a tial? I'd get two rfl's for about $250, saving money wherever I can with really skimping on anything is key. I'm all for new suggestions especially for the BOV.

Aa far as meth goes, I don't want to run it, don't want to spend the money on it and it's like nitrous. I just want 800rwhp all the time, everytime. If the meth ran out, I'd be screwed. What intercooler should I use? Just a larger core? I don't know what dots in the camaro bumper.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

I'd go with a a2w set up. it cost more to get set-up but at the power levels you want and not wanting to run meth/gas your going to need something. I'm running a jgs 50mm as well. I suggest calling jgs and talking with there tech guy (cant remember his name) tell him what you building. He will set you up with a dual spring set-up to fit your needs. as said I would get a tial 50mm bov or even a hks ssqv. I know its loud, people think it's a ricer bov, however I only paid 150 for a brand new one. (ebay) this thing works good at 2 psi, and also 30 psi. I love watching honda boys snap there necks trying to see what just made a bov noise. when they finally figure out it was the ws6 with 11" wide tires out back, they move the **** out of the way..
Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the High Imp 80# Siemens injectors. Then run boost reference fuel pressure. Put an auto in it.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he meant high impedence injectors. There are 80s and think FIC has some bigger ones now. They do flow more at ls1 pressure and with adjustable reg you can run them higher still. Of course there are low impedence but you do need box and harness unless you run standalone engine management systems which are very pricey.
Also never heard of that gate. I would stick to tial gate or turbosmart gate. I would stick to tial or turbosmart blow off and one is fine you don't need two on a single turbo build.I have heard of JGS local guy think was running that stuff. He sold the car now but it seemed to work ok I think.
Turbo xs rfl are not turbosmart. Turbosmart is better quality in my opinion or tial.
One big tial blow off is cheap enough and one is all you need.
Don't take chances on the gate. You want dead reliable gate. Again tial or turbosmart are all I would run.

You can get buy with not as good intercooler with meth injection. Intercooler quality is not just efficiency its also welding quality..some ebay ones leak.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tial 50, Turbosmart 52 and JGS 60 BOV's are all in that price range. We carry them all, and all are top notch. I would not hesitate to run any of those brands.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Getting a injector box is really not that expensive but everyone acts like they are, I picked up a brand new one in the box from a board member for $175 its a versafueler and new there only like a $100 more. Pricey with buying injectors at the same time but much more options when pushing lots of power.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

once I got the right springs in my gate it has wprked great. holds what psi I want no problem. it is a very nice piece, nicely priced, and made in america.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

How much is a tial? I'd get two rfl's for about $250, saving money wherever I can with really skimping on anything is key. I'm all for new suggestions especially for the BOV.

Aa far as meth goes, I don't want to run it, don't want to spend the money on it and it's like nitrous. I just want 800rwhp all the time, everytime. If the meth ran out, I'd be screwed. What intercooler should I use? Just a larger core? I don't know what dots in the camaro bumper.
not accurate at all. nitrous adds fuel to the fire, alky controls it.

number one thing i would do is oring the block, head gaskets could be problematic at that hp level.
also throw out the budget, cut corners and your be in trouble
Old 10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Making 800 on pump, with out meth, is like putting a gun to your head.

If the car is tuned right, the meth can fail all it wants, and the car will just not have the advance in it.

If you want to run around on 600-700 rwhp ( Completely neutered pump gas tune) on pump, and then let it have it when you have KNOWN octane, and KNOWN good fuel, thats a smart thing to do.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, looks like I will have to change a few things then. First off I'm keeping the stick, it's a fun street car, I honestly don't care about power numbers or track times as much as I do having fun driving it around town. Second I am getting 95# LOW imp injecors WITH the box, that should be plenty good fir 800rwhp. As far as the budget goes, I am on a budget but I am not cutting corners, I'm just not putting race car parts in a fun street car, 20 horsepower here or there really doesn't matter to me. If I need to get better parts, I'll just wait and save, but if it's not necessarily needed unless I'm racing and shooting for max power, then I'll do without. My motor is built for 1000rwhp by rapid motorsports so 800rwhp shouldn't be a problem.

Now onto the meth, my nitrous comment was geared more towards when you run out of meth your screwed, not by adding fuel. I know meth is great for the car and will allow more safer power levels. How exactly would I set it up and horrors it work, especially if it runs out? I really just want a car I can just get in it and go, not worry about if I have enough meth etc. I'd rather do an A2A FMIC because my dream has always been a turboed SS with a huge FMIC, I love the looks. So meth is suggested, how do I go about it?

Thank you everyone for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM
9 Second Club

Now onto the meth, my nitrous comment was geared more towards when you run out of meth your screwed, not by adding fuel. I know meth is great for the car and will allow more safer power levels. How exactly would I set it up and horrors it work, especially if it runs out? I really just want a car I can just get in it and go, not worry about if I have enough meth etc. I'd rather do an A2A FMIC because my dream has always been a turboed SS with a huge FMIC, I love the looks. So meth is suggested, how do I go about it?
I think you should take a serious look into meth as Louis stated. It can and usually is setup to be fail safe. If/when you would happen to run out of meth, your tune would not add the extra timing that comes with meth. No big deal there. Add to that, most all kits nowadays have meth level indicator lights that can be mounted in the car. Maybe you should just do a little research on the meth option?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

I am looking into meth now. I still don't get how it's setup/used. Any good links or reading material? I'm trying to do some research but I only have my phone for Internet right now. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Supporting mods for 91mm turbo