Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Twin Turbo

My question is what is the pro's and con's of going Twin Turbo like a ICON kit over a vortech ysi supercharger. This motor is for a 99 TA with a built 408 with L92 heads and a m6 . This car will be a some what a dd car 2 to 3 days a week
Old 11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever consider going with a large single?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I Don't want relocate anything except the batt.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chris'stransam
I Don't want relocate anything except the batt.
then FI is not for you.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a procharger or vortech doesnt relocate, but it seems like now people look at supercharging as a thing of the past. Bolt a F1C to that 408 and you would make killer power. I dont know alot about vortechs but i'm sure they make killer power too.

If you dont want to chop up the car or relocate things go with a centri blower. Look at chevy chad and trust, they are making killer power with prochargers and I bet they would kill turbo cars with similar peek power numbers because they don't have to wait for spool or worry about a 2 step off the line.

A centri blower downside is that you would have to worry about belt slip, but with a good install and a 8 rib or bigger pulley thats not a giant issue anymore. The plus side is that they are alot easier to install and take alot less custom work than a turbo, plus they are more predictable and easier to control.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you look at the KYTP single kit
www.KY-Turbo.com
Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

Well it all depends on what you want for the car. Turbo's and superchargers are two different ways to gain similar power. Turbo's are not used when cruising so your MPG stays relatively the same on the highway. Superchargers are always being driven by the motor so you always have some power loss to the engine and may see a drop in MPG. As stated, a supercharger has instant boost that keeps building as RPM increase. A turbo has a little lag and them comes on like a freight train.

For me personally (as an engineer) I have always wanted turbo's. They are a more efficient (albeit more complicated with the plumbing) way to make the power. I built my car to be a fun DD and it has been just that. Just over 2 years and 25k miles on my turbo set-up and I love it. And best of all I kept A/C, didn't move my battery and no major tear-ups of my car. I could put it all back to stock if I wanted to.

Figure out what you want, and how much you want to do to your car. Ride in some different ones to see which you prefer the feel of. Then plan to spend more money than you thought because there are always things forgotten that will add up. I was shocked when I added mine up at the end of the year. But I am happy with the car so I guess it was all worth it.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo