Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

would this be insane or a dud? 302 w/ 101?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28boysteve
thank you for all the answers I'm getting much more of a feel about what you're talking about now and if it's not for heads up, it sounds like this whole idea is worthless. Besides If it was the goal to go as fast as I could with any LS power plant it would be a stock stroke x 4.25" bore motor.

I just didn't realize how hard it would have been to make the 302 thing work out so it rained a bit on my parade... I'll just stick to the original plan of beefing up my 402 LQ9, slapping the 101 on it eventually Being happy with whatever the hell it makes and rolling over and putting an auto it
if its anything to you. its not a 302 but it is a 293 and its not a 101mm but a 88mm and its not 9k but have seen close to 8k rpms. My setup is a 293 with a 88mm and at 7500 it still is pulling clean. I peak torque at 6500 rpms. With this combo driving it on street wasnt bad as it was like a on and off switch for power. under 4k it was similar to a stock motor but once went above the 4k mark is when power started to come in and by 6k you were really into the powerband. i have plans to spin it little higher this season as to see where the power actually drops off with a good set of heads to support the additional rpms. heres one thing i have discovered is its harder for a trans to shift at those rpms then it is with lower [T56]. also with the higher rpms your duty cycle is much higher then it would be in a lower rpm build. Now for gearing the traditional rule of thumb ppl follow with a higher gear [lower numeric] is thrown out the window. I went from a 4.88 gear with 30" tire to a 4.10 with same 30" tire and actually lost ET doing this. The lower gearing actually helped this combo pull harder thru the rpms.

another thing to think of the smaller motor is better on MPG for normal driving if that is at all any value to yourself. if you have any other questions you think i might be able to answer feel free to PM me
Old 11-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Apples and Oranges, but Casper went 6.86 with a 352cid engine Mike Moran behind the wheel.

http://video.lsxtv.com/video_detail.php?mId=8353

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...aro/index.html
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFallen
if its anything to you. its not a 302 but it is a 293 and its not a 101mm but a 88mm and its not 9k but have seen close to 8k rpms. My setup is a 293 with a 88mm and at 7500 it still is pulling clean. I peak torque at 6500 rpms. With this combo driving it on street wasnt bad as it was like a on and off switch for power. under 4k it was similar to a stock motor but once went above the 4k mark is when power started to come in and by 6k you were really into the powerband. i have plans to spin it little higher this season as to see where the power actually drops off with a good set of heads to support the additional rpms. heres one thing i have discovered is its harder for a trans to shift at those rpms then it is with lower [T56]. also with the higher rpms your duty cycle is much higher then it would be in a lower rpm build. Now for gearing the traditional rule of thumb ppl follow with a higher gear [lower numeric] is thrown out the window. I went from a 4.88 gear with 30" tire to a 4.10 with same 30" tire and actually lost ET doing this. The lower gearing actually helped this combo pull harder thru the rpms.

another thing to think of the smaller motor is better on MPG for normal driving if that is at all any value to yourself. if you have any other questions you think i might be able to answer feel free to PM me
can you give us a video of how the motor sounds at 8000rpm ?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Reckless
Apples and Oranges, but Casper went 6.86 with a 352cid engine Mike Moran behind the wheel.

and his Monte Carlo went 5.80's with a 540 engine
Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TheFallen

one question,how is it going to be better on MPG when you have to run a 4.88 gear?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Fallen, how fast have you run with the T56, I have a T56 in mine right now and will be yanking it out to put in a TH400 soon unfortunately since I'm tired of blowing up differentials, driveshafts and oh yeah... T56s.. Wonder if the lack of low rpm torque off the line of a small stroke motor could have any bearing on the life of the T56..
Old 11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shawn he is a 6 speed guy so he can always throw it in 6th and cut that 4.88 in half, I had 4.30s and turned about 2k rpms going down the highway
Old 11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by elias_799
can you give us a video of how the motor sounds at 8000rpm ?
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Q...-on_638665.htm in this video pull was to 7400 rpms. On street ive seen 7700 quite few times
Old 11-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned

The Fallen, how fast have you run with the T56, I have a T56 in mine right now and will be yanking it out to put in a TH400 soon unfortunately since I'm tired of blowing up differentials, driveshafts and oh yeah... T56s.. Wonder if the lack of low rpm torque off the line of a small stroke motor could have any bearing on the life of the T56..
well the setup was in a 4800lb street weight truck so my times wont be worth much value to a person with a car. I had clutch issues with engagment due to spacing. It did however trap 121 mph on 13 psi. would of liked to got more seat time and work the bugs out but funds didnt allow it. So now this combo is going into a fbody. As for breaking things, i came out at 4500 on 6psi and using 295/65/15 MT drs i spun the rim badly to it boogered the tire and broke the carrier.

its not an ideal setup but does work for what it is and keeps the turbo pretty effiecent since not dealing with such high back pressure
Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ahh just go with a 302 LS based motor and our new Billet 115mm Garrett Turbo.

That is beside a Borg Warner 80mm wheel.
Attached Thumbnails would this be insane or a dud? 302 w/ 101?-115billetvsbw80-copy.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Ahh just go with a 302 LS based motor and our new Billet 115mm Garrett Turbo.

That is beside a Borg Warner 80mm wheel.
Are you serious?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
Are you serious?
hehe no
Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And no one has touched on the difficulties of engine management north of 8K RPM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

That would call for BS3 or mega squirt for sure. But I guess with the budget it would take to build a 302 that could take this turbo, upgraded engine management was kind of assumed. At least I would hope so.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know why some people take this to be such a joke, I would be tempted to actually do it now soley to **** off the bigger is better crowd...
I truley believe if limited to an 88 MM turbo and an A2A like some classes have, a 302 would take the cake.. EVERY TIME If there were no rules of course bigger is better.... So if you don't have intelligent information to contribute to the thread or real questions... DON'T especially if you're a vendor because that only display your thick headedness and also LACK OF KNOWLEDGE on the topic. and no, shawn I'm not speaking about you because you voiced real concerns and issues the combo would run into instead of just making jokes. Hope those who are laughing still laugh you watch someones 2 liter honda trip the beams a second or more faster than you've ever been.

Good to know however since I have quite a few different turbos if I ever wanted a new one, or a rebuild, who NOT to buy from.

Clash of the titans runs a "cheap street" class... 88 mm turbo and A2W intercooler. If someone wanted to say I don't know, stop wasting thier time building the worlds most expensive bracket car (since that's all I do with it right now), and compete in some real class head-up racing like me, well its a quite viable solution.

Less backpressure to boost = more hp... and in hypothetical terms any engine can spin any turbo if you just spin it fast enough.
The difficult part is packaging it reliably and getting a usefull number of runs out of the combo. I would settle for 50 passes between teardowns.

Last edited by z28boysteve; 11-20-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Junior Ibanez set the world on fire a long time ago with a 306/101.....
Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Reckless

but then he doubled the cubes and went 5.99
Old 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know why some people take this to be such a joke, I would be tempted to actually do it now soley to **** off the bigger is better crowd...
I truley believe if limited to an 88 MM turbo and an A2A like some classes have, a 302 would take the cake.. EVERY TIME If there were no rules of course bigger is better.... So if you don't have intelligent information to contribute to the thread or real questions... DON'T especially if you're a vendor because that only display your thick headedness and also LACK OF KNOWLEDGE on the topic. and no, shawn I'm not speaking about you because you voiced real concerns and issues the combo would run into instead of just making jokes. Hope those who are laughing still laugh you watch someones 2 liter honda trip the beams a second or more faster than you've ever been.

Good to know however since I have quite a few different turbos if I ever wanted a new one, or a rebuild, who NOT to buy from.

Clash of the titans runs a "cheap street" class... 88 mm turbo and A2W intercooler. If someone wanted to say I don't know, stop wasting thier time building the worlds most expensive bracket car (since that's all I do with it right now), and compete in some real class head-up racing like me, well its a quite viable solution.

Less backpressure to boost = more hp... and in hypothetical terms any engine can spin any turbo if you just spin it fast enough.
The difficult part is packaging it reliably and getting a usefull number of runs out of the combo. I would settle for 50 passes between teardowns.

just make sure your car is LIGHT. honestly, theres ALOT of fox bodys and new edge stangs with small cube motors that run damn good.

it really would be cool to see something compleatly different. im not sure that the thing would perform better than a big cube motor, but i do know it'd be nice to see it done.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

if u go that route i know a guy that has a ton of bad *** lightweight rods for that type of application.....
Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe in smaller motors more boost to a certain extent.I some what followd the Fallens foot steps with my 4.8l.Went with 241 heads did alittle bowl work cleaned up the casting flash put me 8.8to1 comp.I am running fairly small cam 212/218 531/531 114 w/1.8rr..This is also in a truck (escb to be exact).To top it off boost is supplied by a 2.3l twin screw.That has been converted to blow through.Right now it builds boost (10-11#'s) faster than anything I have ever seen and while I don't have any dyno #'s or track times yet mainly because I jus got it runing and still working out the bugs.The only thing I can reference so far is it can pull a 6sp. 02 ss (with long tubes and some other bolt ons idk exactly what) on the freeway.I realize that don't mean much except that if you drove this truck there is no way someone would think it is what it is.Point is plan the combo out and I think you will not have any regrets.I mean **** look at Kenny duttweilers land speed record machine there bringin out to Bonneville its only around 300ci and is capable of somthin like 1500hp on a single turbo.

The whole reliablity thing well thats a matter of perspective.In reality how long does anyones hotrod really stay together?

Last edited by SincalT/A; 11-21-2009 at 12:01 AM.